Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict

It can be safely told that it's still the old same good Advance Wars that delighted us westeners since the first GBA game, so it can be still described as an highly addictive drug inserted into a cartridge and then sold for a relatively low price, especially now that there's a free online mode thanks to the Wi-Fi Connection.

The first campaign missions are easy and use incredibly quick tutorials to explain things during a mission, telling you how the game works but without nursing you as Dual Strike did...probably they are still invasive for experienced players but at least there's no need to play tutorials disguised as missions.
    Campaign mode also throws in optional missions not related with the main story quite early and on these maps you have full access to units, without restrictions, and are moderately harder than standard story missions.

There are still super deformed units on the battlefield but they aren't that super deformed and still look like existing military units; you've got T-34s for light tanks, M1s and T-80s for medium tanks, Cobras as attack helicopters, Paladins as artillery units and so on - the game mixes old and modern military units to recreate its own visual style.
    Thankfully enough the hugely pixellated sprites used during battle animations in Dual Strike are gone, replaced with properly drawn vehicles and men.
    The story is a good match for the new visual style: it won't take long in being introduced to something that would have never happened in the previous Advance Wars, and I'm not speaking of the meteors of which the introduction speaks of.

Musically speaking some themes are remixed version of old ones and they are mostly rock pieces with heavy use of guitars and some electronic effects; sound effects are almost identical to the previous games.

The new units include motorbykes (fast infantry able to capture cities and armed with machine guns), anti-tank batteries (short-range indirect unit with huge attack power against tanks and infantry that can counter direct attacks - simply deadly against swarms of light tanks) and flares to reveal hidden terrain during fog-of-war scenarios; some units are cheaper to produce (medium tanks are now at 12000 credits, mechs at 2500) while other are more expensive (infantry at 1500 credits) and have all been rebalanced. Now all of them carry very little quantities of ammo and fuel and capturing cities and mantaining a strong supply line is a prime concern: for this purpose APCs have been renamed Rigs and can build temporary airfield and ports to repair and refuel air or sea units, while still being able to carry one infantry unit and replenish other ground units.

Most scenarios feature a complex terrain layout so that no unit is useless and each map has a number of strategic options to consider - even during the first missions, the terrain layout was a pure joy to play on, with free battles being even more entertaining, also thanks to a better AI.

COs have been nerfed down: they no longer affect the army as a whole, but only units near a "honor unit" that carries the CO. These honor units are normal units where you can load your CO (using a full turn, unfortunately) and bring him or her into battle. CO powers are still present, but they take much longer to charge and they aren't as devastating as some previous powers.
    This choice basically removes any "weak" CO for small, ground-only maps and due to the particular terrain, each CO can shine on any given map, if used correctly. If the old system was still in use there was no reason for people not to chose Eagle and Jess on most maps, that could have turned online matches in an endless sequence of double turns and tank battles.

It's good and I need to buy an access point for my DS. Then I will forfeit any social life and play it endlessy.

Great impressions mate. Gonna be picking this up tomorrow and cant wait to get right in about it!!

Comment

Sounds brilliant. Great news that they cut out the overblown CO powers, and I'm be interested to see how they rebalanced the units.

Have the motorbikes and anti-tank batteries caused recons and artillery to become obsolete?

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post
        Have the motorbikes and anti-tank batteries caused recons and artillery to become obsolete?
        Nope. Anti-tanks have a shorter range, less movement, are less effective against infantry and cost almost twice than a single artillery unit; recons still have slightly better weapons, armor, movement and vision than bikes - probably they don't hold the same relevance they had in the previous games as there's the flare tank, but they still have use in fog of war maps during the first turns.

Comment

So far i'd say I don't like the new style much, the first half of the game isn't much of a challenge, I'm not sure about some of the new units (gunboats, bikes), and I've not noticed any difference between COs. That said, it's more AW which is a great thing and I've not even tried online yet.
          Probably the worst AW yet IMO, but still well worth playing.

Comment

been playing it for a few hours, great game will there be a thread for freinds codes for some wifi action ?

Comment

Is there a tutorial? I found AWDS very difficult once it stopped holding my hand.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                Is there a tutorial? I found AWDS very difficult once it stopped holding my hand.
                There's a little part at the start where it holds your hand- but if you're struggling there's now a tactics option in the menu that advises on what to do, i've only used it once to see what it did during the first mission.

Loving this though, i didn't like the fact that the abilities were taken out but now i kinda do, i don't have to worry about that cock end drake or whatever he's called getting 2 goes and totally obliterating me! Then again...he couldn't have anyway, different characters for this

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  You should be ok with this one, AWDS was almost totally broken in many way imo. This game dispenses with a lot of what made AWDS so frustrating and concentrates more on good tactics, not just spamming of CO powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
                    You should be ok with this one, AWDS was almost totally broken in many way imo. This game dispenses with a lot of what made AWDS so frustrating and concentrates more on good tactics, not just spamming of CO powers.
                    2 co's unleashing fully charged powers = not fun. Glad to hear theve taken it out, broke the last one completley.

Comment

Am i the only one that thinks this game feels different? I can't put my finger on it but it just feels wrong to me.

I am still enjoying playing it though, much more than the last game that had me so fustrated later on, that i gave up and almost didn't bother with this.

Comment

I've been hitting this hard today and after all I must say I like the change in the gameplay. As much as I like the old style of gameply I don;t mind the changes they've made (come to think of it, all my favourite game series have been tweaked with each iteration.)

I like the more serious tone the story has taken. It's good that the COs care about their fallen comrades (or not if they're heartless bastards.) As already mentioned, the chages to the system and how CO powers work are a bit difficult to get used to but are interesting all the same.

Would be nice if there were some alternate costumes to get or something but we'll see what happens once the game is finished.

Comment

The new style is pretty bad and I find the story and dialogue stupid and irritating. But do I like the gameplay changes and that's what counts.

Any tips for the 25th (final?) mission?

Comment

I've had a pretty good time with this over the weekend - about half way through and despite the hours of training on the first DS game I've found some of the trials pretty difficult. It's really good - not yet activated the roving CO though. So far, I'm missing some of the old "adding +2 to capture", etc features.

Comment

Seems like it's 26 main missions.

The 25th was a real bitch. Took me almost 80 turns! Obviously wasn't much fun. Maybe I just didn't get what I was supposed to do but I didn't make any clear mistakes either and also this wasn't the first level that forced me to slowly grind to victory.

Comment

Working...
                              X