NHL 08 [Xbox 360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHL 08 [Xbox 360]

Possibly one of the most latest 'first plays' but what the hey...

Only managed to play this recently (having purchased this last year when it was released in September, plus i'm giving Call of Duty 4 multiplayer a break, since it's getting on my tits) and having played NHL 07 loads, i was suprised i didn't play this a lot more last year. It could've been that it was released during silly season for games, and the fact it was released one week before Halo 3 might've had something to do with it.

Anyway, i can't stop playing the thing now.
    Mainly due to it being extremely fun using the skill stick to pull off slap-shots, deke's and hook shots.
    With the new thing this year, is that you can seperate yourself from the puck when you're doing fancy deke's while carrying the puck. Kinda like the trick stick in FIFA 08.

I've not really followed ice hockey at all, apart from a passing interest and watching various videos on YouTube including that goal by Alexander Ovechkin. But i always feel that ice hockey makes good sports videogames, due to the fast end to end action, and the amount of chances to be had in front of goal.

How hard is the checking? i.e., mega blasters or powder puff? And what minors can you play? AHL? ECHL?

While you're on youtube, check out

Jonathan Toews vs Colorado

Rick Nash vs Phoenix

Ilya Kovalchuk
    Atlanta Thrashers vs. Carolina Hurricans01/02/08Kovalchuk solo...

and, one of the funniest misses ever (due to the fact that Hemsky takes it up the other end to score), Patrik Stefan missing an empty net
    With the Dallas Stars up 5-4 over the Edmonton Oilers, Patrik Stefan misses an empty-net breakaway with 10 seconds remaining. Oiler Ales Hemsky scores with ...

Comment

The checking this year is momentum based, according to the devs in one gametrailers preview vid. As i've had a few (where i'm skating full pelt) where i've pinned them to the glass/ full body check which sends them sprawling on the ice.
      Though most of the time, they seem to be pretty tame. Only the defenders can really pull off decent checks.

The only minors you can play are the AHL.
      You can play Swedish teams, as well as international teams.

Cheers for the vids!
      missing an empty goal, and then the other team scores. Plonker!

Comment

Whats the fighting like?

Comment

Oof I might have to pick this up on the cheapy, just so the missus can play as the Rochester Americans.

Comment

Working...
          X