Super Smash Bros Brawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Well this arrived today, before I start it's the first game in the series I've ever really played, I briefly played the first one years ago at a friends house but thats about it, so sorry if anything I mention is already in the previous ones.

On startup of the game your treated to a typical intro basically showing some of the characters, it's really nicely done as well with some opera music playing in the background.

After pressing start on the title screen you have a few options and various game modes.

One option has various things like a sound test, movie gallery, score table, how long played, amount of victories etc.

Theres also an option screen with things that you've collected in the game, a few mini games, stage builder, photo viewer, what looks like a timeline of history for all nintendo consoles, can't read it as it's in japanese so not sure about that one, and finally some

VC games, at the minute theres 9 on there, Nes games are: Ice Climber, Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Kirby. Snes: Some tactical RPG by Itelligent Systems, don't know the name as I've never seen it before, Super Metroid and Mother 2/Earthbound. N64: Starfox64.

These all seem to have time limits though, I'm not entirely sure if theres a way of unlocking the full games or if you get certain scores in them it unlocks stuff in smash brothers as I've only played them briefly.

Final option is basically the standard option screen, option to change aspect ratio, control setup, sound settings etc. A really nice feature on here as well is the ability to switch off the flicker filter which makes the picture a lot sharper, I really hope Nintendo start putting this in all their games from now on.

Onto the game modes, first mode is a multiplayer mode with things such as battle royal where upto 4 players can play, tournament, winner stays on and special brawl where you can adjust various settings etc.

The second mode is the single player which has the classic mode, a training mode, one with mini games, event match and stadium mode.
    I've only played the classic mode at the minute, played that through with Wario so far, gameplays just mental, really fast and hectic which I suppose is pretty much what the previous ones were, overall it's a lot of fun though, don't really understand the percentage thing at the minute so if anyone can explain that I'd appreciate it. Stages i've played on at the minute range from Hyrule castle, Mario Kart, F-Zero and Pikman all featuring remixed tunes from each game, theres really been a lot of time and effort put into both the graphics and music, it really is fantastic.
    Completed the classic mode and unlocked

Captain Falcon, the end credits are great as well as you can shoot at various nintendo character pictures, I'm pretty sure this must unlock stuff as well as you get given a score at the end

A really nice touch to the battles as well is that you can pause them, rotate, zoom in and take a picture to save on the Wii or SD card or even email it.

Final game mode is online, theres 2 options on this, normal battle and team battle, unfortunately i haven't played this at the minute as it keeps kicking me out of the lobby so might try again a bit later.

Overall it's seems a great game, although it'll take a bit to learn seeing as this is the first one I've really played, the shear amount of options, mini games and modes is a bit overwhelming at the minute as well, looks like it'll last years.
    Last edited by Phar; 05-02-2008, 19:11.

*Massive Jealous Rage*

Excellent first impressions though Don't think i can wait till March 8th :/

Comment

Thats why I'm glad I went the Japanese route, can't read a single word or tell whats going on in most games but it saves waiting.

Comment

Super jealous, mate. I'm glad you're enjoying it though!

Comment

The percentage at the bottom of the screen is damage. The higher the number, the further you or your opponent will fly when hit. Once it's nearing 100%-ish use the appropriate B-button special or an A-button Smash attack to whack 'em into oblivion.

I've got this coming on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it. Can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game. I can't understand a word of Japanese either but I copy & pasted matching English and Japanese menu screenshots from the Dojo website and printed them out so I have more of an idea what's what. It's almost like a mini translation guide - and provided by Nintendo themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post
            The percentage at the bottom of the screen is damage. The higher the number, the further you or your opponent will fly when hit. Once it's nearing 100%-ish use the appropriate B-button special or an A-button Smash attack to whack 'em into oblivion.
            Cheers for that bud, I've just had a look round that site, definately helps, although on most modes it actually announces what it is when you select it so its not too much of a problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is when you select a character

a little sound clip plays for each one through the wiimote speaker, bloody ace that

. Favourite stages so far are the F-Zero one, as your fighting your racing round the track, and the Wario Ware one which has you fighting in between loads of mad mini games with some crazy Japanese music playing.

Was in the middle of a match when

Reseti mole or whatever he's called out of Animal Crossing popped up and started having a rant

Still can't play online though, just seems to sit their waiting for other players to connect although it might just be the time of day in Japan where no ones on. If not might need to wait until a few others get it then I can add some friends codes.

Comment

got my copy, and to be honest im kinda dissapointed, sure we had great fun in multiplayer and the game is fun in general, but it just didnt feel that fresh. Did I play Melee too much? possibly. On the plus side fan service is excellent, music and all. Graphics are superb too...

I'll continue to plug away and let you know how it pans out.

Comment

Where to start...I queued up with the masses on Thursday to buy this and was biding my time before making a First Play thread but you obviously beat me to it.

It plays almost exactly like Melee with the obvious inclusion of the Final Smashes, which will REALLY get on your nerves. In order to do a FS you have to break a Smash Ball (that's what they're called in the Japanese version anyway) but that involves getting to it before the Cpu do. That's the toughest part as the higher levels go straight for it. Making contact is the next hardest as some characters can miss the enemy too easily, whereas others will never miss.

The adventure mode doesn't lose anything if you're playing the J-version as there doesn't seem to be any text at all in it. Cutscenes set up your battles and tell the story. A nice distraction but you won't be spending all your time on it unless you can unlock features that way...

The Stage Editor is a great idea and the only limit is your imagination I suppose...though you can only place a limited amount of items in the level. Each tileset is specific to the backdrop, and there are only three of those to choose from. 3 sizes of level, 3 backdrops, but you can use ANY music you've unlocked so far. Saving can be done to the Wiis memory or an SD card.
                So at the request of many nice people and some rude bastards who can't say "please" I made a new vid of the stage maker...but it ran to 13 minutes so I had t...

Part 2 of my BETTER video. Enjoy seeing me getting my arse kicked again.

You can also send one stage, or photo to Nintendo each day, provided you've gone online that session.

Wifi works fine, though you have to remember the time difference if you're outside Japan (GMT+9 at the moment) and that most people playing will do so on the weekend. Contrary to what the dude on kotaku was saying about not being able to find anyone to fight on day one I had no problems finding people to pummel me. I was well out of practice:

Third pair of fights.Enjoy.Oh, my friend code is0258-9491-3260by the way.

The rewards wall or whatever it's called is a nice idea, and it's always exciting to have unknowingly unlocked some new stage or music. Though saying "Clear ??????" as you haven't unlocked whatever it is you're supposed to clear isn't really that helpful.

The gatchapon machine has been replaced with the Coin Shooter where you have to use the coins you've earnt in battle to hit enemies to get stickers, or to collect figures. The latter of which you have to hit several times.

Spoiler time!

To unlock Snake you have to fight on Shadow Moses 10 times or more.
                Unlock stage editor parts A: make 5 stages; parts B: fight on your own stage 10 times; parts C: make 15 stages.
                So far I've unlocked: Falco, Captain Falcon, Snake, Lucario, Marth, Luigi and Nes. While playing online I've fought against Sonic and the NES Robot.

Basically, play though the different modes to unlock different stuff. Kind of obvious.

I'm really enjoying unlocking stuff, though I fear once that is done I won't be playing until the US and EU versions come out so I can cream everyone as I've been practicing for 5+ weeks longer.

It's fun, just don't expect a deeply satisfying gaming experience. If you just want to have a few beers with friends and kick the crap out of them it's perfect.

My friend code is 0258-9491-3260
                Last edited by kryss; 06-02-2008, 09:35. Reason: [youtube] tags not working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post

I've got this coming on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it.
                  Same here, did you fed-ex it from play-asia as well ? lol :P

Comment

Originally posted by KusoGaki View Post
                    Same here, did you fed-ex it from play-asia as well ? lol :P
                    Ha ha, yeah! Also got hugely disappointed when I found out they gave it to Fedex after the cut off time so it's going to arrive Thursday instead of Wednesday. Could've been playing it a whole day sooner!

In case anyone's interested, IGN's got a comparison page of every English and Japanese Dojo screenshot side by side. A lot of them aren't useful or even needed but they're there if you need them:

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      It plays almost exactly like Melee with the obvious inclusion of the Final Smashes, which will REALLY get on your nerves. In order to do a FS you have to break a Smash Ball (that's what they're called in the Japanese version anyway) but that involves getting to it before the Cpu do.
                      Is that the Rainbow coloured ball, was wondering what that was, I can never seem to hit it.

Wifi works fine, though you have to remember the time difference if you're outside Japan (GMT+9 at the moment) and that most people playing will do so on the weekend. Contrary to what the dude on kotaku was saying about not being able to find anyone to fight on day one I had no problems finding people to pummel me
                      I was trying to play online when it was probably 5 or 6 AM in Japan, I was just sat in the lobby beating up a punch bag waiting for people to connect, I take it that when you find an opponent the grey boxes at the bottom show who your fighting against then. I'll have to add your friend code kryss, I'll put mine up when I get back from work, I need to update it in the code thread as well as thats my old one.

Also can you map character movement to the d-pad on the classic controller, I can't find an option to do that only seems to let you use it for taunts.

Comment

Unfortunately you can't use the D-pad to move. It's a shame, as it would make a big difference to the controls. Under options you can change the buttons around a bit and turn off the up=jump. It plays better without it I think.

I use the classic controller and map the buttons as such:
                        attack (攻撃) B
                        special attack (必殺ワザ) Y
                        jump (ジャンプ) X/A
                        Grab (つかむ) L/ZL
                        Shield (シールド) R/ZR

The box in the top right corner of the controller config screen is the "flick up to jump" option. I have mine set to off.

You never actually know who you're fighting, you just fight their character. The grey box changes depending on what they're doing.

Character select > stage select > practice stage > battle
                        キャラ選択中 > ステージ選択中 > 練習ステージ > 乱闘中
                        Last edited by kryss; 06-02-2008, 09:59. Reason: correcting my japanese

Comment

Unfortunately you can't use the D-pad to move. It's a shame, as it would make a big difference to the controls.
                          Thats crap, I suppose I could use the remote instead but the classic controllers more comfortable.

Am I doing something wrong with online then, I select the globe option, then character, then stage, then I'm just left hitting a punch bag, doesn't seem like anythings happening.

Comment

I don't think anyone has managed to get Random Battles working yet, could be wrong mind, but some seem to think Nintendo are filtering out non-Japanese IP's. BUT, you might be able to play against a friend on your FL.

Comment

You want to try around this time, as all the students will be back from Uni.

A quick vid on how to send stages to Nintendo, where to find your friend code and how to enter other peoples codes.0258-9491-3260 is mine, just so you know.

Is my vid explaining the online menus.

Comment

Working...
                              X