Army of Two (PS3/360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army of Two (PS3/360)

Might as well start a thread for this. I got the 360 version.

First impressions are the graphics: it's a bit gritty, and the frame-rate isn't always 100% steady in the heat of the action, but nothing worth getting annoyed about. The locations are quite generic and drab (lots of rock, sand and dirt) but I guess that's about par for the course.

First thing I did was the mission 1 tutorial, where it immediately introduces you to the key concept of the game: "aggro" ... basically, fire upon the enemies to draw their fire, making your buddy seem less conspicuous, allowing him to sneak around and mop up the baddies. With the AI in tow, you can control him using the D-pad, telling him to advance, regroup, hold, etc. A single press in the desired direction puts him into defensive mode, whereas a double press puts him into aggressive mode.

Then I got invited to some online action, which is for four players in two teams of two. There are 3 or 4 game modes, though, to be honest, we had no idea what we were doing most of the time. The most understandable mode was "Bounties" where you are on a map containing several objectives (kill a certain person, destroy some installation) ... the current objective will flash up, and whichever team does it first nets the cash reward. In most of the modes, there are AI enemies on the map too, making teamwork essential. If you get shot down, your partner can one-touch-revive you "Gears"-style, and if you get killed, you have to wait 30 seconds to respawn, with the option of paying some of your hard-earned cash for a quick-respawn. All-in-all, reasonably good fun ... but I think once all players have a better idea of what is happening and what is required, it should be pretty darn good.

Back to the campaign mode I went, and stormed through the ridiculously easy first mission on Contractor (medium) difficulty ... Pro difficultly is unlockable. Couldn't find anyone to play with (I expect it won't get busy till Friday), so I was with the AI for this. The AI is pretty good defensively, but not so hot on the offence: it's best to use him to lay down the aggro and do the ninja stuff yourself.

Gameplay-wise, in a nutshell, this is a BLATANT rip-off of Gears of War (right down to the grenade arc indicator), with added bells and whistles, most of which you've probably read about already, but just in case you haven't:

If you're wounded, you fall down, but can still shoot. Your partner has to drag you to safety (with you providing covering fire) and heal you.
    When you're surrounded by enemies, you go into a slow-motion "focus" mode called "back-to-back" ... you and your chum stand back-to-back and unleash hell.
    You can pick up objects (car doors, etc) and use them as shields, with you holding the shield and your buddy doing the shooting.
    Also with the AI, you can co-ordinate sniping, to take out two targets simultaneously ... haven't seen much use for this yet, but it's early days.
    Oh, and that aggro thing.

All of the above mechanics work well, and do add a lot. There are also controls for celebrating with your partner, high-fives, etc, if you're into that kind of thing. On the flip-side, you can also reprimand him if he's rubbish.

Second mission was a different kettle of fish, where I got downed frequently and dragged to safety by my AI chum, which I was quite impressed with. There were some neat distractions from the main guts of the game in this mission, notably tandem-parachuting with one of you taking out enemies below with a sniper rifle, and a rescue operation where one of you has to carry a hostage and the other has to make a safe passage. Some reviews I had read had criticised these sections for being gimmicky, but I thought they were well done.

All-in-all, most enjoyable, and it can only get better once I get into some online co-op.

Great first impressions, Peeveen. I can`t wait til tomorrow!

Comment

Good impressions, thanks. I was expecting this to be a real stinker, but it sounds although EA managed to pull it off.

Comment

I had a go of the co-op versus this morning, it's quite good fun as each team fight to beat the objective.

Comment

I will try get a little go with the PS3 version later today i hope just like ashmatuk i thought this would be a real stinker but there may yet be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

There's not much wrong with the game really, it's just very run of the mill. Which isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Is the extra character AI better than gears though? As in gears they were useless and kept dying all the time.

Comment

whats the online side of the game like? just co op? or can you have team matches 4v4 or anything like that?

Comment

yyg, there are four modes, but 2v2 was all I ever saw in three of them. There may be others, but the setup screen only shows four "slots" for players.

As for the AI, like I said, he's pretty good defensively, and you can count on him to help you out if you're wounded, but I can't really compare him to the Gears AI, as I can hardly remember what that was like.

There's not much wrong with the game really, it's just very run of the mill. Which isn't a bad thing.
                  It definitely lacks the "solid" feel that Gears had, and the cover system isn't as good, but it makes up for it I think with the extra combat features.

Regarding cover, if you're running towards a wall, you can press Y early to slide into cover like a baseball player sliding to base, but press it a bit too late and he'll leap over the wall into a hail of bullets.
                  Last edited by peeveen; 06-03-2008, 14:13.

Comment

Did first two levels and really impressive. Also enjoying these so called gimmick bits of co-ordinated fun.

Enjoyed it that much that Im going to go back and start again from scratch as it took abit for me to get to grips with as I feel I can kill and co-ordinate with more style. AI team m8 is also very good no screaming at Dom GOW style as you get your head kicked in.

So far feeling a very high 7 for solo but an easy 8 for when I play co-op (want to do it solo first)

Comment

Excellent, my copy turned up today, but I won't be playing it until my mate has it this weekend as it's a co-op game... and co-op it shall be played!

Comment

After 5hours solid (6hours total tonight as restarted but took a break for abit when did) Im on I think mission 5 or 6. For me its got that Stranglehold feeling of a rough diamond. Very good in places but other places above average. Its suprised me though I thought it might be a 6-7 game but even on my tod doing it solo its a high 7 at times pushing an 8. I think it will be fantastic in co-op which is what I will play it in after I finish it. The team mate AI is mint though and he pees all over dangerous Dom on GOW. He will drag you and heal you when your in trouble and Ive yet to see him run in and get shot to pieces. Very good for supressing and cover and when Ive had the opposite and covered him and got overkill he goes off like a Ninja smacking everything with his own stealth enabled overkill. AI will also dual snipe with you so he aint daft at all and hes even gone off and mounted a gun turret off his own back

I dont get the feeling of GOW on standard difficulty though of intense gunfire. Ive died quite a few times but Im not getting the dread I get in GOW or the same sublime gunfire feeling but that might be down to not being able to try the hardest mode yet (its unlockable after finish). I find GOW on standard and insane (till Raam at end) on solo a doddle so not suprised.

Graphics feel abit 1st gen, textures at times remind me of R6LV 1 on indoor bits then it looks nice and then it goes drab again.

Overall just solid great fun. After the delay I expected it to be arse but like Stranglehold very pleasantly surpised and really enjoying every minute of it. I do have a feeling yet again it may be a bit short though but it does seem to have alot of longevity for purchases on replay value
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 00:37.

Comment

This is £50 in GAME, Are they having a laugh..
                          £37 in Asda..

Comment

tell me about it, fancy shops actually charging RRP for games but yes £50 is quite steep for Xbox 360 stuff now.

Comment

Its 39.99 in HMV i got gamestation to pricematch it for me. The game local to me is like a yard away from HMV.

Comment

Working...
                              X