Bully - Scholarship Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bully - Scholarship Edition

Didn't know if this warranted a new thread or not, so feel free to merge it with the PS2 Bully thread....

My copy arrived from Play this morning and I've just spent the last while having a quick game. I never played the original version of this, so apart from watching a brief review on Gamer TV (the shame of it) I know nothing apart from the basic premise.

My first impression was poor and I was thinking the worst as the intro movie is a bit stuttery and there's quite a bit of tearing going on. But in to the game itself and the engine is nice. In fact, I've been reading quite a few negative remarks about the standard of the graphics on the 360, but it looks damn good actually. Surprisingly so. OK, so its not up to the standards we've seen on the 360 in proper next-gen titles, but its certainly more than functional. So far its been smooth, the textures are quite detailed and everything's nice and sharp.

I made the mistake of looking at the manual. I say "mistake" because the in-game tutorial works well and I swear some of the buttons are different in the game compared to what the manual claims they are.

I also found myself a bit disappointed at the start as the central character really isn't the likable sort, but I'm guessing that the overall story arc might be one where he turns good at some point or maybe that's entirely down to you.

The class mini games I've seen so far are fairly entertaining and make for a little diversion from the tasks. The whole integration of the tasks, story & cut-scenes is classic Rockstar, but it definitely feels polished.

There's frequent loading screens, but the actual loading times themselves are pretty quick, so they're no more than a brief irritant.

I'm really enjoying it tbh and so far its really surprised me. I think I was expecting a sub-par GTA clone, but it actually seems like they've taken many of the things learned from their work on GTA and put them to good use in this game. So the aiming system works well & its nice and easy to rotate the camera around you for example.

So far I've not had any crashes either which I know was mentioned on here and I've seen it on another forum.

You will learn to love Jimmy. As you will like all the characters featured in the game. Rockstar are at the top when it comes to delivering story, dialogue and brilliant characters.

Comment

Gameplay haven't sent my copy yet. Boos all round.

Get any early achievements, ascender?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
        Gameplay haven't sent my copy yet. Boos all round.

Get any early achievements, ascender?
        Nope, not one!

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
          Nope, not one!
          Are you going to get the gay achievement?

Comment

More boos, I feel!

Can't wait to get this, I criminally neglected it on the ps2. Love the John Hughes-style intro music with the car ride

Comment

What do you reckon? Wii or 360 version having never played the PEE ESS TOO version.

Comment

360 for better graphics. They probably only shoehorned the wiimote features.

Comment

Just had a quick go at this earlier ... got the fear during the intro movie, but seems reasonably OK after that. Still the laziest port I've seen tho.

Minus points for no subtitles option on the dialogue.

Comment

Has anyone had any freezes/crashes etc which have been reported all over the place ? Or is it greatly exaggerated ?

Comment

Originally posted by peeveen View Post
                      Just had a quick go at this earlier ... got the fear during the intro movie, but seems reasonably OK after that. Still the laziest port I've seen tho.

Minus points for no subtitles option on the dialogue.
                      Just go to the options menu, visual i think, then select subtitles!!

am enjoying this game alot so far, the acheivements seem really well though out, gameplay is enjoyable, and for 25 quid, its a bonus!!

aaron

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
                        Has anyone had any freezes/crashes etc which have been reported all over the place ? Or is it greatly exaggerated ?
                        I've not had any yet.

Comment

I'm 3 hours into this and i'm really enjoying it. I do like my achievements and it appears getting all of them in Bully is going to be a lot of fun. Well done Rockstar for that.

Only problem is, it has indeed crashed on me 2-3 times now. A couple of times in the cut scenes and once when I was just running back to my room to get in bed before the curfew ended!

I hope they fix this problem soon. It shouldnt be happening really.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBekir View Post
                            Just go to the options menu, visual i think, then select subtitles!!
                            D'oh! I was looking in the Audio options. Thanks.

Comment

Noticed alot of retail shops weren't even stocking this. Which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X