Mana Khemia Alchemist of Al-Revis [PS2 US]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mana Khemia Alchemist of Al-Revis [PS2 US]

And here we have the ninth game in the Atelier series, the first to my knowledge dropping the Atelier <insert random girl name here> title.

Instead of being a full fledged alchemist (or almost full fledged), in this game you're a student of the Al-Revis academy, working your way through three years of high school in a small twist of the same system found in Atelier Iris 3.

Game mechanics are pretty similar to AI3, especially in battle, with some new additions to the alchemy section.

Battles used the same card-based timeline as in AI3, you can exactly see when which enemy will act and when you'll be placed after a certain move. There are still break combos (broken character loses turn) and the burst gauge, though the burst gauge is much more difficult to build up. In the two hours I've spent playing I've noticed that battles are based more on standard attacks than any other chapter in the series, special actions have an high cost in term of special points and all characters have only an handful of them.

The game is broken down weeks, which are then divided into four parts: event, lesson, lesson and event. During the lessons you can go to the student center and apply for various courses which you have to complete by doing a certain task (find an ingredient, kill an enemy, produce a certain amount of items); these task will give you grades, which are needed to moe on to the next week and, I think, term and year.

Events are story-driven and usually see you face a boss of some kind.

On the technical side, there's nothing much to say: graphics are recycled from AI3 and while every AI game used recycled sprites and recolors a lot, I think Mana Khemia elevates recolors to a form of art, since you'll see two or three recolored enemies within the first two hours of play - and these recolors are taken from AI3, which are taken from previous AI games.

It's nice to see common points between games that can be placed in the same universe (if not on the same planet - at least Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris 3), but, truly, Mana Khemia feels a bit too similar to AI3, not only in game mechanics or graphics, but also regarding music.

That said, the game looks pretty interesting, although the "boy with amnesia and mysterious past" storyline was outdated the second time someone used it and Mana Khemia is probably the 1000th game using this plot device to explain the dark and dangerous past that link the hero to the uber-demon-of-darkness-thing threatening the world (although my hope is that it won't turn like this...but who am I kidding?).
    One major high point: the game is challenging and requires some thought before going on a quest, and this setup is most of the times involves producing new items/weapons with alchemy, which is the best thing in the game.

New twists in the alchemic process include choosing a partner to affect the final product with elemental effects and a random attribute that can improve items.

Honor mention to the box, featuring a pretty unique horizontal cover and a soundtrack with a mini poster inside that can act as an alternative cover (much, much better than the original one) and as a quick reference guide for beginners.

And here we are, back again studying alchemy.

During my first hours of play I've noticed that you don't level up as in other JRPGs despite gaining APs after every battle. I thought it was due to the fact it was the first week (gametime-wise) and since everything was event-driven, with basically no freedom, levelling up would came later.
    Truth is, you don't level up. Instead, when you synthetyze new items through alchemy those items are added to a "grow book", a progressive tree similar to AI2 item tree. Each item carries up to three improvements, which must be bought by spending the aforementioned APs. So, alchemy is also linked to character progression, but, at least in the few hours of play, this poses a problem.

The problem is that you don't have too many ingredients to complete recipes or money to buy the at the school's various shops, forcing players to go back and forth through the first dungeons hoping to find what they are looking for. By doing so, you'll earn a lot of APs, so improving your party stats isn't an extremely difficult task, even if you where to skip most enemies to battle just the bosses or mid-bosses. With no skills learned by fighting, most not-so-random encounters are just an awful interruption to exploration.

About encounters: you can see red blob thingies going around the map, avoid them or stunning them with your mighty fist for an extra turn, they aren't that much however stronger enemies (bigger red blob thingies) are most of the time a suicide to battle, as even when stunned some enemies act before you, they have an huge load of hit points and can dispatch your party in few attacks. Blue blob thingies are low-level enemies that can be dispatched simply by stunning them...yes, the system is really similar to Atelier Iris 2, as it also uses the same time-based exploration; however, instead of being forced away from the current dungeon, time is presented as the pregression of the day, with morning, evening and night, changing monster behaviours (they are faster, bigger and badder at night) and applying a simple yet effective filter over the environments.

An other problem is that creating items and weapons is done in two different rooms - they are very near and load times aren't a big issue, however you have to go back and forth to produce items for weapons. Atelier Iris 3 and Ar Tonelico had this very helpful system that allowed players to synthetyze missing objects when creating a new one, and here unfortunately is lost, with the added problem of traveling between two rooms to produce what you're after.
    Similar problem for the school various shops, spread all over the campus, though they are clearly marked on the campus map.

Also, I feel that the translation isn't exactly good. Persona 3 players won't be pleased that terms like "sempai" have been translated with character's first names and, well, it truly makes things a bit strange when playing with the Japanese dubbing, especially when characters are called with their surnames and the onscreen text shows their first name. And I think I've seen completely wrong translations, as when doing alchemy, the game told me that I've had lost an effect exactly when that said effect appeared...it's not the first time I see bad things with NISA translations, unfortunately.

What's good about the game is that it takes the relatively open structure of Atelier Iris 3 and opens it a bit more, introducing a good (if cliched) support cast, a large party and more things to do, while polishing the whole structure a bit.

It's an interesting game, as all Atelier games, and as all Atelier games it's a bit slow to start to get really interesting and the story won't blow your mind.

[edit] A plea to NISA: "Al-Revis celebrates racal diversity of every kind" (written on the back cover): just...no. Really. While the game features a

robot, various beastmen (well, beastwomen) and even a ghost (Pamela, some sort of mascot along Punis)

as PCs, it's not really something you want to advertise; "make your own items with alchemy" is better.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 19-04-2008, 15:29.

Comment

Finally got around to ordering this and it arrived yesterday. Came with the soundtrack CD.

Put in about 7 hours so far (running from HD so no loading issues anyway). Some nice light humour in their which is always good in a game. Had some issues with my first visit to the Old Schoolhouse but on discovering I could get the whole team KO'd and not have a "Game Over" helped, though apparently some special monsters can "kill" you. Definitely enjoying the game. I wonder if it will ever have a PAL release?

I must admit that my initial impression was "I'll never remember all that" with synthesis, grow book etc. but I quickly caught on (I did play though not finish the other three Atelier Iris PS2 games).

I am not quite sure how Pamela fits in with this and AI3...

Comment

Mana Khemia is some sort of alternate universe to Atelier Iris, so you shouldn't try too hard to fit all backstories together...even AI3 was only loosely related to AI 1 and 3.

Comment

Working...
        X