Yggdra Union (PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yggdra Union (PSP)

I know I should be playing Rondo of Swords, but Yggdra Union is one of my favourite games, sitting in my personal top five GBA games, so I wasn't able to resist to give this improved version a quick test.

Yggdra Union was one of those game that made me lose track of time, often resulting in getting off the train two or three stops after mine, and so this evening I found myself playing for two hours straight with the PSP in a blink of an eye.

Of course the PSP has a considerable edge over the GBA in graphic power and screen area, and the game simply looks gorgeous.
    Sting had the brilliant idea to redraw sprites instead of rescaling existing ones like they did with Riviera and, really, if you like 2D graphics you'll find a lot of eye candy in this version of Yggdra Union, even if animations and number of frames used are still the same. Each sprite has a lot of detail and much more colors than on the GBA - it's gooooood.
    Maps, cards, character portraits, icons, everything has been redrawn or proper version of the original art have been used to better suit the PSP screen and finally the technical side of the game is keeping up with its game mechanics.
    Maps, above all else, don't look anymore as a blob of pixels set as a background, featuring details hard to spot before or even new ones.

All mission introductions are dubbed, like most dialogues. Music sounds like the arranged soundtrack, battle sounds have been upgraded too, so the UMD space is put to good use.

Game-wise, there have been some minor changes, including new secret characters. Some cards have been rebalanced though some are still useless (Refreshment, noon only, 3 mov and low power), but each time a character levels up he/she recovers some of his/her morale, making easier to manage items. During battles the R butt can now speed up the process if you know you're gonna win or lose.

The best thing is that the action spans across an high-resolution 16:9 screen, making things much more readable, there are no longer pixel-wide fonts and the interface is much clearer and more colorful; the style is unchanged however: it might be hard to navigate and there are a lot of things to keep track of, but it's a good step forward.

Unfortunately, the game still features an integral tutorial limiting unions and skills during the first part of the game, even though there's a "tutorial corner" in the game menu.
    I'm told that there's an hard difficulty for those beating the game, with no morale recover for level ups (just like the GBA version), but I don't know if it will stick with the tutorials.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 03-05-2008, 15:05. Reason: problem solved

opens coffin...

sounds great although I would prefer a less glowing write up, my wallet is almost empty !

Some things hat bugged me in the GBA version were that if you died in the last of a 3-part map you would have to everything all over again. The game was also very long and could benefit from some 'streamlining'. Did they fix this to some extent or are the improvements mainly cosmetic ?

The original really is a very deep and addictive strategy game but suffers a bit from the nasty looking map, reliance on gamefaqs items and the aforementioned. If the psp version fixes most of this I'll have to buy again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibusawa jr. View Post
      sounds great although I would prefer a less glowing write up, my wallet is almost empty !
      Not from me about Yggdra Union

Multipart mission still to be played all over again if you fail, but during the first playthru you regain a lot of morale for each level up, making things easier.
      Maps are gorgeous, and thanks to the morale recovery isn't item-reliant as before. I loved the GBA version and this new version is simply superior thanks to the better hardware.

As many people (including myself) are nagging Atlus about an US version, you'll might want to wait for a while if you don't know Japanese.

Comment

Cheers for the impressions, it's totally being bought when/ if it gets a US release. My Milanor will polish his axe in anticipation, Gulcasa better watch out lol.

Hopefully the sales from Riviera were decent enough for Atlus to consider bringing psp Yggdra over. They're really seem to care about my fav. niche games (R-Type tactics this week) so I'm pretty confident

Comment

This and Disgaea are actually making me consider picking up a PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            Sting had the brilliant idea to redraw sprites instead of rescaling existing ones like they did with Riviera
            Both use Super Eagle-style upscaled graphics rather than redrawn. They still look a lot better than blurry upscaling. The character portraits are actual high res drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by Profit View Post
              Both use Super Eagle-style upscaled graphics rather than redrawn. They still look a lot better than blurry upscaling.
              You sure? YU sprites look a lot better than Riviera sprites.
              Even if YU sprites are bigger to begin with, the large amount of detail put into them (for example Yggdra's sword detailis) and subtle differencies in animation frames make me think that they are not simple rescalings.

Originally posted by Profit View Post
              The character portraits are actual high res drawings.
              Better scans of the original drawings, the same used in the GBA but with a resolution and color depth on par with the PSP specs.

Comment

You're right, Yggdra does have a lot more detail. But Riviera definetly has been upscaled - there are no new detail on the PSP sprites vs the GBA ones.

Comment

Not sure if anyone's been to the Atlus site recently...

Atlus official website. Receive up-to-date information on Atlus' game titles including Persona series, Shin Megami Tensei Series, Etrian Odyssey.

Yggdra Union PSP looks like it's getting a US release

Comment

They probably updated it this weekend, before that they were advertising Dokapon...great news, however.

Comment

Something about the US version:

first, there's the Japanese/English voiceover option, which is great and I've come to like more the English dubbing rather than the original Japanese. You see, Japanese dubbing tend to place youngish voices for almost every character and while some of the characters are supposedly young, after a while you yearn for more adult voices - and I personally think that US Yggdra Union delivers...it's not perfect, some voices aren't exactly good, but it's encouraging to see dubbing values going up even for "small" games like this.

Compared to the JPN version the US version feels a bit easier...I'll dig into this, but it seems that units recover more morale when levelling up. I just gave the game a quick play and witnessed just one level up (Yggdra, from lvl 1 to 2), I'll try to recreate the same conditions on the JPN game and see how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                      X