The King Of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match [ps2]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King Of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match [ps2]

Suprised no ones made a thread about this yet...

Been playing this for about a week now, my 2nd copy which arrived from Japan yesterday came with some kind of bonus gift of a 98UM small fan with mai on it.

Anyways...

Is essentially very similar to 98 but with a lot of updates, every character up until 98 is present (as well as new EX versions), and ultimate mode is introduced.
    Ultimate mode is basically a custom version of extra and advanced, so you can choose to dash, dodge, and advanced bar stock or hop, roll, and extra mode bar.
    New system changes include being able to max up in the middle of a move, creating the ability to chain moves together you wouldn't normally be able to do.

There's also a Challenge mode which so far has taught a lot about how the game works, which makes you do things like...Goro's combo D, down-forward C, hcb hcb+C. It really forces you to learn the difficult things in the game.

The Neo Geo version is also on the disc, but i've not played it much myself since i have it on mvs anyway i didn't see the point.

Soundwise the game sounds really nice in arranged mode, although the one thing i don't like about this is how it doesn't seem to loop very well.
    (When the bgm finishes it fades out and starts again)

Graphics, it looks pretty much as KOF always has (bad for some, ok for me) you are able to change how smooth the character sprites are as well as the background type between 2d and 3d.

All in all, it's a really welcome update to 98, great for old fans of 98 as well as newbies.
    The old max up scheme was ridiculously overpowered and i'm glad to see they've toned that down.

i thought this was going to be a update like kof 94 rebout was

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
      i thought this was going to be a update like kof 94 rebout was
      It is updated though?

New mode, new characters, priorities of moves changed, new moves added, etc...

Comment

This is on its way to me now to review for NTSC. From the impressions I get what eastyy is getting at, I too thought it was going to be a Re-Bout style affair, when in reality it doesn't sound too dissimilar to the Dreamcast version of 98.

Still looking forward to it tho.

Comment

Thought it was Going to be hi res and redrawn characters .....does it have the new 3d backgrounds

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            Thought it was Going to be hi res and redrawn characters .....does it have the new 3d backgrounds
            It does have new backgrounds, as well as existing ones made into 3d.

Some stages look a bit weird though, especially the pale ones which don't really match the character sprites.

example of how the 'floating' looks:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Kusogaki
              example of how the 'floating' looks:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHK6v1Gjqow
              that last joe combo was actually quite tick

i'm gonna use it on mans when i'm at your house/

Comment

The thing that looks odd the most is the fact that your team characters in the background don't have any shadows and it looks like they are floating. I know they don't have shadows in the original game, but still.

Comment

Was messing about with the Challenge mode. Good fun. Gets VERY hard towards the end...anybody finished all of them?

Oh-and am up for some KOF action if anybody is up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Street Turk View Post
                    Was messing about with the Challenge mode. Good fun. Gets VERY hard towards the end...anybody finished all of them?

Oh-and am up for some KOF action if anybody is up for it.
                    It is really good, i do like how it (sort of) teaches you what most of the new changes in the game are and makes you learn difficult motions (like Geese's rising storm and goro's combo D, downforward+C, hcb hcb + C).

I only got up to the one with Kyo where you have to max cancel, dodge cancel, dodge cancel attack, super.

They're supposed to be having a couple of set ups for this at Battle Of Destiny if you're going to that?

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Vid from the finals of the kof98um ranking battle i held yesterday

The second part of the vid flickers alot -_-
                      Last edited by KusoGaki; 11-08-2008, 13:49.

Comment

^ thx for hosting kuso.

Is there an offline matchmaking thread or similar? Or is this the best place for it?

----

Season 1 Event 2 just recently finished:

Yesterdays Finals and 3rd place match:

Finals 1of2, Finals 2of2

3rd place 1of2, 3rd place 2of2
                        (i'm player 2 and am learning)
                        Last edited by Giga_Death; 25-08-2008, 22:50.

Comment

What are the 3 choices in Ultimate mode? The bottom one is Advanced or Extra (Extra for me please), but what are the top and middle ones? Dash/Roll and Dodge/Hop?
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                          X