Fifa 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fifa 09

Been playing since yesterday (on the world class difficulty) and I gotta say I really like it. If you liked the demo then you will love the full game, if you didn't enjoy the demo then the final product really won't change your mind.

I have said this before, FIFA 09 really plays a really good realistic game of football. The last couple of PES games have gone the more arcadey route whereas FIFA has become more about realism, strange really as it used to be the other way round. You really have to work for your goals by playing a proper measured passing game, looking for (and initiating) off the ball runs and generally being thoughtful about your build up play. When you do score a goal there is a sense of achievement because you would have (usually) worked damn hard to get that ball in the net.

The main difference you will notice between the previous FIFA and this one is the sense of physicality that is brought into the game. If you are attacking or defending, your success in any given tussle with the opposition will usually depend on the strength, momentum or positioning of your player. This is most visible when you are tussling to win a header, trying to run past an opposition player or attempting to halt an opposition player's run. The stronger players will stand more of a chance of winning the ball in any of these situations, just like they probably would in a real game of football.

This introduction of a more physical game is also quite visible in the player animations, which are superb by the way. Players will stumble around after mis-judging a header, jostle together to win the ball or just about keep their balance as defender tries to hack them down as they go clear. Everything animation has a feeling realism to it. I even noticed a player gesturing that I should have passed to him rather than take the shot on myself and miss!

There are also quite a few modes to get stuck into, so you won't be bored for too long. Most of them are the same as FIFA 08 but there a few new great additions. The new mode/enhancements include 10 vs 10 online play (with club aka clan functionality), offline be a pro season mode and the Adidas live season. The latter option allows you to pick one league of you choice for free (using the code on the back of the manual) and all the players in that league will have their stats/form updated from week to week based on real life results. You can choose more than one league but (in true EA spirit) you will have to pay for them. I don't think many people will be doing that though, when you get one league for free anyway.

To sum up I think EA I have done a really good job with FIFA 09, it plays a really good game of football and has loads of games modes (both offline and online) on offer. I dunno how PES 2009 will turn out (hopefully it is good) but I really think there could be room for both, they would compliment each other perfectly
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 02-10-2008, 01:33.

Great right up mate it sound very good, I look forward to playing you(I hope we can get a PES momentum going those were great games)

Comment

Ordered this off play a few days ago so hopefuly it will come either today or tomorrow.

Whats the be a pro career mode like? as I'm sure thats where i will be spending alot of my time with this.

Comment

It is pretty much like the captain your country mode from Euro 2008 but with loads more depth as your aim is to eventually become a legend for club and country.

Comment

Just had a quick go at this (be a pro mode) and am absolutely loving this. Playing in the reserves for Man Utd at the mo. Funniest, well stupidest moment so far, is i had done some of the celebrations. Then it came to one "skip" i thought this meant do a skipping motion! not to skip the celebration!! whoops!! Well time to get back to it, ad my tag, AaronBekir, and ill see you online!!

Aaron

Comment

Can someone explain the league subscriptions for me (£4.99 each or £12.99 for all seven on the PSN)? I don't get it.

Comment

I think its as ezee said above, its to register all the leagues to that addidas tracker thing, where it updates all your players with their latest stats from real life.

Aaron

Comment

I read his impressions earlier and don't remember reading that at all!

Busy day at work!

I'm not sure I'd subscribe anyway... playing with West Ham would be hard enough without the game accurately reflecting how much worse we get over the course of a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  I read his impressions earlier and don't remember reading that at all!

Busy day at work!

I'm not sure I'd subscribe anyway... playing with West Ham would be hard enough without the game accurately reflecting how much worse we get over the course of a season.
                  now come on, it aint all bad being a West Ham supporter. At least we aint Tottenham...a team of useless ***** with no morale. Haha, i cant wait to see how the Adidas live season has affected them :P

Comment

Going to sound sad, but fifa has just screwed my gamerscore!! it gave me 19g for scoring in the 90th min, and i cant find what i need to do to get the other 1g!! aghhh! i thought we were through with screwy points!!

Aaron

Comment

Yeah I saw that one and was like "why 19 points?!".

Comment

i could understand maybe 89 points for scoring in the 89th min, or even 90 for scoring in the 90th!! just not bloody 19, or any stupid dodgy odd number!!

Comment

The 1g one must be something bad. Get loads of players sent off, score own goals, score an own goal in the 89th minute, etc!

When I saw the list of achievements I knew this'd annoy me too!

Comment

That Adidas live season sub sounds interesting. Couple of questions... Is it 4.99 for the cost of a year's sub and can you choose to revert back to the default player stats that shipped with game at any time?

Should pick up mine today, but can't play until late this evening due to work

Comment

picked this up from Tesco on my way home from work. Am just about to start it...

£29.71 til Sunday if anyone fancies it cheap!

Comment

Working...
                              X