No announcement yet.

[PS3/360/PC] Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just played this for the 1st time, have been meaning to for years now. It's aged really well, the textures are a bit blurry, even by 2008 standards, but it is a really nice looking game. DS2 looks like it's even better

I wasn't too keen at the start, I seemed to be dying quite a bit, but after a couple of hours it all started to click and became a bit easier.
    It actually got significantly easier as I started not getting so precious with my ammo as it turns out I never ran out as every monster drops it as you run low and money and non essential items are in plentiful supply.

I don't really like Survival Horror games, I've only ever played Resident Evil 1/2 and 4, they ain't my bag. This though was neither scary nor particularly tense.
    The only times where I really felt any threat by the enemies was when the game dumped them in a tiny corridor or room and the camera couldn't handle it very well or they would physically block you in a room so you couldn't leave and go somewhere with a bit more space.

Does Isaac not talk because they couldn't afford a voice actor? They got away it throughout the game, but the last scene was kind weird without him talking, it was as if he was literally a mute.
    Anyway, I very much enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the slightly more action based Dead Space 2 and then 3!

Comment

Always seemed to me that Isaac not talking was a deliberate atmospheric choice. Though I think they changed that for the sequel. Speaking of which, I must play that. Bought it ages ago, played one bit and just wasn't in the right place for a dark horror game at the time. About time I went back to it as I adored the first.

Edit: Wow, just saw I gave it a 10 in the poll. When have I ever given a game a 10? I must have REALLY enjoyed it.

Comment

If it wasn't for Mario galaxy 1&2 this probably would of been my game of the generation I enjoyed it that much. It was one of those games that completely side swiped me at the time and I played it from start to finish in one sitting, which I never do, so that speaks volumes

Comment

Just bought Dead Space Extraction which is superb so will have to look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Just played this for the 1st time, have been meaning to for years now. It's aged really well, the textures are a bit blurry, even by 2008 standards, but it is a really nice looking game. DS2 looks like it's even better

I wasn't too keen at the start, I seemed to be dying quite a bit, but after a couple of hours it all started to click and became a bit easier.
            It actually got significantly easier as I started not getting so precious with my ammo as it turns out I never ran out as every monster drops it as you run low and money and non essential items are in plentiful supply.

I don't really like Survival Horror games, I've only ever played Resident Evil 1/2 and 4, they ain't my bag. This though was neither scary nor particularly tense.
            The only times where I really felt any threat by the enemies was when the game dumped them in a tiny corridor or room and the camera couldn't handle it very well or they would physically block you in a room so you couldn't leave and go somewhere with a bit more space.

Does Isaac not talk because they couldn't afford a voice actor? They got away it throughout the game, but the last scene was kind weird without him talking, it was as if he was literally a mute.
            Anyway, I very much enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the slightly more action based Dead Space 2 and then 3!
            Isaac talks in the second game, which is just one of the many ways that the sequel improved upon this game. I'm actually quite jealous of you, getting to experience Dead Space and its sequel (which is one of the best games of this generation without question) for the first time is something to be treasured. Wish I could do it again.

I have to tell you though, the third game is a massive disappointment.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 11-02-2013, 04:29.

Comment

Finally got around to starting this and it is easily one of the best games I have played this generation. Genuinely challenging so far with none of the pansy design choices that have riddled the generation. Upgrading items really makes you think about what to spend money on. Visuals are great, sound is utterly brilliant and combat is very satisfying.

Comment

Always nice seeing this thread bumped cause Dead Space is certainly up there for one of this generations best.
                Also enjoyed Dead Space 2, waiting for that to be released was exciting, then Dead Space 3 was announced.
                Makes you wonder how a developer or even publisher could let the potential of a series like this just die on its arse.
                Really hope there is a chance and EA pump out a next gen crazy looking Dead Space title, highly doubt it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                  Always nice seeing this thread bumped cause Dead Space is certainly up there for one of this generations best.
                  Also enjoyed Dead Space 2, waiting for that to be released was exciting, then Dead Space 3 was announced.
                  Makes you wonder how a developer or even publisher could let the potential of a series like this just die on its arse.
                  Really hope there is a chance and EA pump out a next gen crazy looking Dead Space title, highly doubt it though.
                  Dead space one had about 5 years spent in it. Two about 2, three about 1.5. Quality and originality takes a long long time, EA were willing to put the dollar and time into the first as long as they get a series to milk in the long run.

On the plus side at least it came out at all. I can picture the board meeting at activision, "so your saying its got no multi player? No online gun battling? And American Childeren can't call you a fag down the headset? Sorry no funding."

Loved this, probably the most pilished game this gen behind Mario galaxy. Quite the achievement. Makes you crap your pants too

Comment

So it's worth playing the original and not skipping to the sequel?

Comment

Yeah definitely play the original if you haven't played it, it's a cracking game.
                      Get the lights out and sound up it's tense as hell.

Dead Space 2 as well. Ok it's a slightly different beast, I enjoyed it because of the different location and I thought giving Isaac a voice helped give him character in the situation he's in. A little bit more open so you don't get squeezed in as much but environments were great visually and there is a really cool bit towards the end, which I thought was well done.

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Dead space one had about 5 years spent in it. Two about 2, three about 1.5. Quality and originality takes a long long time, EA were willing to put the dollar and time into the first as long as they get a series to milk in the long run.

On the plus side at least it came out at all. I can picture the board meeting at activision, "so your saying its got no multi player? No online gun battling? And American Childeren can't call you a fag down the headset? Sorry no funding."

Loved this, probably the most pilished game this gen behind Mario galaxy. Quite the achievement. Makes you crap your pants too
                      I always remember EA dropping Dead Space like a bag of spanners alongside Mirrors Edge, it was only because it hit cult status and started selling pre-owned/new that they decided to greenlight a sequel in 2009/2010.
                      Last edited by Family Fry; 17-10-2013, 19:08.

Comment

Dead space 1 is one of those games you wish you could erase all memory of it in order to play it again fresh. One of this gens original (kinda) greats.

Play in 5.1 or with headphones and the lights off.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Definately

The 1st one is really unique, the 2nd one is kinda more of the same with more polish, but the story directly refers to the events of the first game, so you would be missing out.

I actually felt that the 2nd game was probably the better game all round, but the first one actually felt so well made a fresh when I played them both 1 after another that it is the one that stands out in my mind more.

It's very brown

the second one is very blue

The 3rd one is just plain boring

Comment

I have 5.1 sound and quite surprised it didn't wake the girls up!

QC, play it! I paid a fiver but easily worth rrp.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Why would you EVER do that?

Comment

Yep. What everyone else says. Definitely play the first one. It's fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X