No announcement yet.

Far Cry 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just finished the tutorial and have to say i am immensely underwhelmed so far. on my first start i had massive graphical errors - the vegetation kept changing from christmas trees to wireframes. luckily a restart of the game eliminated this error. nonetheless the game is technically not up the level the devs wanted us to believe: massive pop-in of objects and textures, no own body and shadow and next to no environmental destruction.

gameplay-wise the enemy AI is absent so far (normal difficulty) and guns are lacking in firepower (half a clip to down an enemy?) and also feel of it - no recoil when firing a G3A4

is this getting any better soon?

Comment

nope uli, that is about the best of it mp is just as bad couple of clips to down others................ mines being traded in today.

Comment

I should have read the thread here before I bought the damn game. For no reason that I can understand everyone at rllmuk is squirting nut all over it.

Comment

luckily i bought it cheap for €25 from Play. will give it another go at the weekend and then decide if trade-in or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hogg View Post
            I should have read the thread here before I bought the damn game. For no reason that I can understand everyone at rllmuk is squirting nut all over it.

everyone on my friends list love it too, im gobsmacked as too why

Comment

Yeah I don't get this at all either. It simply isn't fun.

Comment

It takes a while to get going, you need to spend a good five or so hours for your weapons to become useful. Once you are well kitted out you become more of the hunter, so a much less frustrating experience.

This enjoyment lasted a good fifteen hours for me, so money well spent. Unfortunately it does become extremely repetitive so I eventually gave up and sold it on. If you are just starting out I recommend not going for every single objective because you will eventually tire youself out like I did, just do what you can to get the good weapons\upgrades and progress the story.

Comment

Originally posted by GMass View Post
                  Yeah I don't get this at all either. It simply isn't fun.
                  Like it enough to have it as your avatar picture though right?

Comment

pete, it's a fair comment. but i gave it another go for 1 hour and i found that i just don't want spend another 4 hours of my rare leisure time with tiresome travelling, dealing with stupid guard posts every 3 minutes. going by car is frustrating since raiders keep bumping into my car no matter what. running is slow and gives me also headache from the blurring of the view. if at least the combat was as much fun as it was in Far Cry for Xbox i could stick with the game. also technically this is a huge letdown. even my Xbox Far Cry had less pop-in and a less foggy view. oh, and someone tried to use a machete on the vegetation?

Comment

I think, considering what the game is doing and how much it's drawing, the pop-in on console is a small price to pay. And unlike Ubi's other console Far Cries (which are abominable to a man), I actually do think this is a decent game albeitwith some fairly considerable flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
                        Like it enough to have it as your avatar picture though right?
                        That just represents what I am currently playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                          pete, it's a fair comment. but i gave it another go for 1 hour and i found that i just don't want spend another 4 hours of my rare leisure time with tiresome travelling, dealing with stupid guard posts every 3 minutes. going by car is frustrating since raiders keep bumping into my car no matter what. running is slow and gives me also headache from the blurring of the view. if at least the combat was as much fun as it was in Far Cry for Xbox i could stick with the game. also technically this is a huge letdown. even my Xbox Far Cry had less pop-in and a less foggy view. oh, and someone tried to use a machete on the vegetation?

100% agree with this. Respawning is also a major issue and navigation...I've played for a couple of hours and spent most of it looking at that damn map.

Comment

I have to say this is starting to grow on me a bit now... after about 7 damn hours. When I first started it I was playing it like a normal FPS game, which is what I thought it was meant to be, but eventually I started being more crafty once I'd got a sniper rifle. It's actually pretty good when you start picking them off from a distance, observe the ensuing confusion and panic then leg it to a different sniping point to hit someone else, repeat.

My problem at the minute is that I've hardly got any diamonds. It's only the main missions which reward you financially and as I've apparently buggered up doing any missions with one of the factions (having killed someone early in the game) I've now got just enough to scrape by on. Wouldn't be too much of a problem if the weapon jamming system wasn't so crap. Why guns go from being perfectly functional (when the enemy has them) to breaking every 10 rounds when you pick them up I don't know but it's not much fun.

And is it too much to ask for the weapons shop to give some information about what you're buying? I'm sick of having to buy something, test it, then reload the game to buy something else if I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric View Post
                              I actually do think this is a decent game albeitwith some fairly considerable flaws.
                              That's it isn't it? There is a really good game in there somewhere, but it's lost amongst the many, many flaws.

Comment

I'm actually enjoying myself with this - running all over africa is pretty fun, but a couple of issues are hampering this from being a flawless experience:

1. Saving - Game should autosave after more events occur. My last game over resulted in a loss of about 15 diamonds that I'd tracked down. An autosave after each diamond collected for example would be more appropriate.

2. Bullets required to kill - seemingly a major issue for others too. I shouldn't need to pump an entire round into a guard who has absolutely no form of physical protection save for a string vest! Headshots are insta kill, yet given how rubbish the aiming system is, don't expect to be getting many of those.

3. Weapon Jamming/lack of decent weapons - No

4. Voice acting - yes it's africa, so expect your typical "Dr livingstone" african guy poorly attempting upper class dialect. I wanted to disable it but found I couldn't. It is shockingly bad, but not "shoot your ears off Haze on PS3" bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X