[Wii]Dokapon Kingdom - multiplayer game at its best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Wii]Dokapon Kingdom - multiplayer game at its best

The multiplayer games on wii just seam to get better and better and i am about to throw another onto the already huge pile Dokapon Kingdom.

So what is Dokapon Kingdom?

Well it is Mario Party meets Final Fantasy meets Monopoly.

The game takes place on a huge game board very similar to those found in Mario Party, but here it is one board with many zones. Think all the boards you get in Mario party interlinked. The idea here is to make money, the player with the most money at the end of the chosen amount of weeks wins.

To obtain money you can do this in one of 3 ways

Capture towns
    Defeat random battles and boss monsters
    STEAL! - This is not just from other players or towns, you can try to steal weapons and items from shops, as well as getting magic that helps you steal in battle and when you walk past other players. However with this stragey comes risk, get caught you are banned from all shops and towns for a week and a bounty is placed on your head. If anybody defeats you in the next 7 days they get the reward for your capture. This doubles every times something is stolen, so it soon gets up to game changing amounts.

Depending on which class you are relates to which skills you will be best at. The thief can carry lots of items. The magican is strong with magic, or the warrior who is great with attack and combat. Once you fully level up your character to its top skill level you gain access to new classes or jobs as they are called. You do not have to change and each class has its own abilities. Once you are at max ability level you still gain character level which increase HP, DP, MP, luck and health. Each space on the game board falls into one of the following areas.

Battle - These are yellow spaces that feature ona good percentage on the gameboard
    Item - you randomly get an item from the spinner
    Magic - you randomly get a magic ability
    Shops - these can buy you weapons, magic or items
    Poison - avoid these unless you want to be hit with poison
    Rent collect - land on a silver one and you can collect your rent from 1 of your towns, or a gold one and take all rents owed
    Towns - defeta the town guard and you will own the town

As well as these spaces you also have spaces that you only find in caves

Treasure chests - gain random amount of money
    Locked chests - gain you money items or abilities

You also sometimes get random event spaces these will usually give you something good randomly from one of the towns people in that area.

The game lends its self to so many different tactics. Head for the caves where there is lots of gold to be had, grab towns and gain a steady income. Or go for power, level yourself up and battle the high level monsters and bosses you can gain a lot of gold, items, and other things here.

Unlike Mario party you are free to travel in any direction you choose. However if you want something like access to a shop or cave you have to get the exact number on the spinner. Though items are available to aid in this.

The game is not a graphical powerhouse and has some nice bouncey music but nothing special, the game here is 100% pure gameplay. One thing to note unlike most RPGs this game may aswell not have a single player mode as its just like Mario Party in 1 player... very dull. This game is a little gem, you can play with 1 wiimote and passing it between players, though the game does have classic and Gamecube pad support.

One thing to note in this.... The flow is much much better than Mario Party, it is at a constant level and you never feel like your waiting too long to make your move. It is also very important for players not in control to take note of what their rival is doing, where they are moving and such. The game also features a very handy look feature if you spin a number just hit 2 and you will get any space you can move to with an arrow above for quick movement, Mario Party needs this badly!

The game delves just enough into the RPG elements to keep RPG fans happy, but at the same time not deep enough to exclude any none RPG fans.

If you have mates over to play games and a spare 10 hours, yes i sat and played for 10 hours straight last night on this with my mates then you will have fun if you like party games or RPGs.

Like a couple of other games that i have posted impressions on i know this is not going to sell which is a big shame as it is multiplayer gold.
    Last edited by The Mole; 05-11-2008, 20:30.

Was tempted by the title, now I know I have to get it. Thanks.
    BTW, i don't think that Atlus went so far and included an online multiplayer, did they?

Comment

No online multiplayer, as i understand it, this is a straight port from the ps2 version (which i never knew existed) with a couple of tweaks.

Comment

Im sorry to do this (bump) but i want people to know how good this game is (in multiplayer at least). The reviews have been hidden away and i feel its going to go the way of games like De Blob and Boom Blox that not enough people can trust how good the format and formulae are.

Please people if you have 2 or 3 friends who you like to game with the this is the game for you.

Comment

It a bit unclear on the web, is it out in the US?

Comment

Yes it is the US version i am playing. Don't think it is out in PAL land yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole View Post
              Yes it is the US version i am playing. Don't think it is out in PAL land yet.
              No probs, got an NTSC machine so I can rock on this one when I save some more dough.

Comment

Just over ?22 on videogamesplus

Comment

Thread bump for I have received the game and became absolutely addicted to it: interrupting play session to do anything has become difficult from the very beginning, with the "one more turn" sentence becoming "one more week" and then "let me get there and then..." every time I tried stop playing.

For example: yesterday I started to climb the Daunting Mountain and decided to take just a peek at which enemies I will find...I was abduced by an UFO, skipped a turn and my CPU opponent started a fight with a boss, which I wanted to complete before quitting, but while he was battling the UFO brought me back and so I continued exploring until a Ninja killed me few turns later.
                  A turn became a 30 minute session and about 20 minutes late on a date.
                  Now, "I was abducted by an UFO" is technically correct...

At first, I started the game against four AI opponents, but wait times between my turns was too long, so went for a single AI opponent, and the game is fun even when played alone when you have to wait for just one opponent to complete its turns. The AI does cheat a bit too much and resetting the game often brings the same dice and battle results is items aren't used over and over, but it's still manageable.
                  Of course you can always take control of the AI opponent for a few turns, rob him/her of everything, including controlled towns to balance things out...I guess that with human adversaries this won't be a problem.

Comment

Its much better with real players. We did a 999 week game and got 1/4 of the way through and well over 100 hours gameplay before we got sick of it. Though the game is still save3d should we feel the need.

The DS version is out im just waiting for it to show up.

Comment

Working...
                    X