Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Played this for a couple of ours, till chapter 2, of this direct sequel of the GC game with the same title.

Story picks up few years after Lloyd & co. united Sylvarant and Tethe'alla together by planting a new Karlan Tree; the situation, however, isn't exactly happy, with Tethe'alla trying to enslave Sylvarant and the Church of Martel turning more in a military power oppressing people than anything else.

And so we met Lloyd in a burning Palmacosta, doing what righteous heroes should do: pillaging, killing and burning in search for the core of Ratatosk, apparently a demon lord.
    Emil's parents, the leading male character, are killed before his eyes just after he saves Marta, a girl that holds the core Lloyd is searching for.

Unlike what it's seen in the introduction, Emil isn't exactly brave: in fact for the two hours I played he constantly apologizes for being alive and a being lot more emo than any human should be allowed to be.

The first dungeon serves as a tutorial for the battle system (the same thing as Symphonia plus the ability to roam freely by pressing Z) and to introduce the monster collecting mechanic introduced in this title.
    Similar to Pokemon, after you beat a monster and if other conditions are met, you can persuade said monster to join your party and fight alongside you like any other human character. Monster have their own equipment, gain their own skills and artes; within the first hour you'll already have a full active party of four, although right now they aren't as effective as other human members, being limited to basic attacks.

The game flows just like any other RPG: you visit towns, buy new equipment, hit plot progression points, go to the dungeon, level up a bit, fight a boss, wash, rinse, repeat.

Graphics are nice: all primary and secondary characters are more detailed than Symphonia GC but animations are still a bit awkward, towns and villages are a straight port of the GC title with minor changes, the interface is clean and simple and although the control scheme is tied to Wiimote+Nunchuk only there isn't any unnecessary waggle to perform.
    If the Wiimote is poiting toward the screen a cursor appears, but it's not used until you reach a dungeon and use a ring to interact with hotspots there.
    It is possible to link four artes from any active member, to Wiimote and Nunchuck vertical and horizontal movements which helps to kep the battle flow constant as you don't need to pause, navigate to the arte menu and issue the relative command.

Unfortunately the game only has English dubbing; it's decent, voices are good but actors could definitively use some more passion in deliverering their lines; as a said note, lip-synch is done through textures and are hard-wired to represent Japanese voices, so they are often of out synch.
    Unlike Symphonia GC, skits (optional conversations triggered by certain events) are numerous and well written, excellent to lighten up the mod; I wouldn't define them as hylarious, but sometimes they let you smile.

The feeling I have from Dawn of the New World is that it is a decent game, completed with the usual attention to detail of the Tales studio, but hardly tries anything new: what it's in the game has been done before more than once - a well done package, but not original.

I heard you can load a save file of complete run of the GameCube game. What does it do?

Comment

I found the ability to change battle difficulty quite handy at times in Vesperia, is that option in this?

Comment

play.com have this listed as coming out over here on the 28th. Anyone know if that's accurate? This is pretty much the only title on the Wii I want to get anytime in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          play.com have this listed as coming out over here on the 28th. Anyone know if that's accurate? This is pretty much the only title on the Wii I want to get anytime in the near future
          Given the state of Vesperia's Euro release, I wouldn't expect to see this on PAL until at least next summer.

Comment

euch. Gonna be gathering dust for a while then

Comment

Yes, you can load an endgame filesave to obtain a random set of items. Nothing much, though.
              And yes, you can change battle difficulty, but it's either normal or hard. Maniac is probably unlocked after the first playthrough. More impressions later in the evening.

Comment

And here are some other impressions, up to around 12 hours of play.
                Yes, I've been this a lot, but this doesn't change the first impression I had. It's a standard Tales of RPG, built around proven mechanics that won't break any new ground with its tried and true elements but due to this it's hard to find any real fault - everything that can be pointed out belongs to the whole JRPG genre, not just to Dawn of the New World.
                Except for one, the story itself: I'm not speaking about the whole "let's save the world thing", but the willingness of the developers to shoehorn things into the original Symphonia story that in this game fail to find their proper place. The whole Ratatosk/Centurion core thing doesn't feel quite alright not because there's something fishy in what certain characters tell you (oooh yes, I'm waiting for the big plot twist ever since the 1st hour of play), but because they feel completely out of place from what had been said in Symphonia GC.

As there is no overworld to explore (locations are mere icons on the map and there's no wandering around, you just click on where you want to go and the game brings you there) there are no random battles if not inside dungeons; for those willing to level up there are quests given by the Katz tribe, divided in four categories (A to D) based on the suggested party level that will give you extra money and objects. Just like Symphonia money won't be easy to come by in the beginning but later you will have enough to throw it around casually.

Compared to the first Symphonia, DotNW battles are harder, favoring tight combos rather than button mashing. The inclusion of third dimension makes battles also a bit more confusing, as the camera zooms in on your character not letting you see what happens around, which means weak allied monsters or casters like Marta get ganged up pretty easily.
                Emil and Marta almost control the same way, being fast and decently powerful; Marta has some healing spells and she's more of a support character, but there aren't any true mages like Raine or Genis were in Symphonia; most monsters have support magics, but most are battle-related, so you can say that tactical thinking is no longer required, alos because once the monsters you've captured are around level 15-20 they are quite powerful; the Symphonia cast going time to time but only for brief periods and as they don't advance in level (nor they have any of their powerful spells and attacks), you just tend to use monsters along Emil and Marta.

Each Monster has its own level development and most of them can evolve into a stronger form when reaching around level 15; so far I've been able to get monsters evolve up to their second stage and I don't know if there's a third or fourth stage, but for each level the monster gains you can cook something for them to increase their stats and the friendliness level, which translates in a better chance for them to join unison attacks. Also, when changing classes monster keep their stats but reset at level 1, so they can grow quite powerful if you manage their growth well.

Unfortunately the capture mechanic is a bit complicated and feels more you captured a monster by pure luck than by skill.
                Near the characters' stats there are four small circles and one big circle. The smaller circle can be charged by using elemental-based skills during battle and when four of them are charged, the big circle change to that element; if a monster is killed when the big circle and three of the smaller ones are the same, the monster can be captured; this phase is completely random, but if the element used is the same of the monster's, it would be easier that it will join the party.
                What's wrong with this mechanic is that all circles are randomly assigned at the start of each battle, so there are times you can begin with a full elemental circle and some other times when the elements are completely scrambled, requiring to have caster work overtime to get everything in place for the capture.
                As monsters are a core part of the party and the game often stresses about the importance of capturing and changing monsters often, it's rather disappointing that capturing is so random.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  Yes, you can load an endgame filesave to obtain a random set of items. Nothing much, though.
                  I've got a US Tales of Symphonia. Is this (un)likely to work with the EU version of Dawn of the New World?

Comment

I wouldn't know for sure, but I'd say no.

Comment

UK Box Art is nicer than the US.

I've heard lots of people saying that this is amongst the worst Tales of... games (although the first DS one was supposedly awful which is why it wasn't localised). Is it a game that complements the first or spoils the memory?

Comment

Picked up the UK version today.

It looks lovely, the levels especially and I like the stylised simplicity of the characters.

Like all Tales games it'll take a while to get going so Mrs Teddy better get her J-RPG hat on and plough some serious hours into this!

Comment

is it multi player?

Comment

I've had this on my shelf for about 2 years now, always been too scared to play it because the first Symphonia is one of my favourite games this decade.

About 20 hours in and barely feel like it's scratched the surface. The monster capture system feels pointless and you wonder why they bothered, luckily so far you can get by without paying any notice to it. Much like the command board in Kingdom Hearts: BBS. Also massively disappointing is the change in voice actors, namely Lloyd and Raine, Dirk seemed a bit off too. The remixed music however is a joy to listen too, there isn't a single track from the already amazing original soundtrack been untouched yet.

Other than that I'm enjoying it, the Centurion core story is pretty messy, but chasing Lloyd and the attitudes towards him are pretty interesting and enough to keep going. It might not be as deep but certainly enjoying it more than I did Vesperia.
                            Last edited by Rep; 05-11-2010, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
                            X