Naruto: Ultimate Ninja - Storm (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja - Storm (PS3)

Maybe a little odd to start off a First Play thread with what a game isn't but I feel there has been a little confusion prior to this game's release as to what genre it will fit in. This is not an adventure game in the vein of Ubisoft's 360 Naruto games (Rise of a Ninja and The Broken Bond) but is principally a one-on-one fighting game. Perhaps obviously in hindsight, it is simply a next gen extension of the PS2 Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Series (Naruto: Narutimate Hero in Japan).

With that in mind, this isn't the most in depth fighting game. Virtua Fighter it ain't.

Circle is you basic attack button and pressing repeatedly chains attacks together. The only variation in these attacks can occur by holding the left stick in different directions at specific points of the combo. You can also hold the Attack button for a few seconds for an Ultimate Impact attack which knocks back your opponent and they drop Chakra Spheres to restore your chakra (more on that later). Stringing together combos fills up your Storm Gauge (seperate to Chakra) which can be filled to 3 levels. When it is completely filled you gain benefits such as Chakra Regeneration.

Square is your ranged attack button (shuriken in most cases), X is Jump and L2/R2 Guard. Holding Guard will deflect the majority of attacks but eventually, will result in a Guard Break. To combat this, you can time pressing Guard with the moment an attack is due to land (ala Parrying/Just Defend) to perform a Substitute Jutsu leaving your opponent attacking an inanimate object vulnerable to counter attack.

The really impact attacks come from accumulating chakra, which is essentially your super bar. Holding Triangle allows you to Charge Chakra although you are vulnerable to attack as you do this. With Chakra accumulated you can tap Traingle followed by another button to use the Chakra to perform new moves. Triangle > Square is a Chakra Projectile, a powered up ranged attack (varies from character to character. Naruto launches multiple shuriken whereas Sakura launches a single shuriken with an explosive tag). Triangle > X is Chakra Dash closing distance between you and opponent almost instantly. Finally you can use Triangle > Circle to perform your selected Ninjutsu (selected prior to battle). When you start the game each character only has a single Ninjutsu but more are unlockable. However, you are restricted to a single Ninjutsu attack per fight which is a little limiting.

The real spectacle comes from the Ultimate Jutsu attacks. Requiring massive amounts of chakra to appear landing these successfully can inflict major damage. If successful a cutscene battle occurs where both players input commands to determine how successful the Ultimate Jutsu is. These are not fight winning attacks (your opponent can nullify their effects by inputting the commands during the cutscene quicker than the aggressor)but when successful look fantastic in motion with some incredibly spectacular on screen results. Ultimate Jutsu attacks are also improved dependent on your current Storm Gauge level when the attack is landed.

L1/R1 calls in your support characters (selected prior to battle) Presumably an attempt to replicate the teams of 3 formations from the source material, you can call your support characters into battle a limited number of times in battle either to perform a Ninjutsu attack or a Combo. Any combos you perform that result in launching your opponent can also be finished by calling in a support character to land a finishing blow.

The final twist in battle comes with Awakening Mode. Only available when your energy drops below a certain level, these are essentially desperation moves. Awakening is activated by continuing to hold Trianglefor a few seconds after your Chakra bar is completely filled and results differ from character to character (dependent on their depiction in the manga). Certain characters Awakening results in Transformation changing the attacks and attributes of a character (including their Ultimate jutsu attack). Examples of these are Sasuke (Cursed Mark Second State) and Rock Lee (Eight Gates). Fans of the naruto manga/anime will recognise these forms of the characters but will wonder what about characters that haven't had examples of new forms depicted. Awakening for these characters simply results in new attributes and abilities with no change in appearance.

Despite the apparent simplicity of the fighting system, the resulting battles can be incredibly fun to watch for Naruto fans and it is not hard to make fights look good. Battles take place over one round but characters have multiple life bars allowing the battles to last a decent length of time, and the different cut aways showing the results of different attacks do a great job of replicating some of the best fight scenes from the anime. Lots of fan service in battles too with plenty of moves replicating those from the anime/manga. The use of the Ultimate Jutsu and Awakening moves can also swing battle back in your favour, again allowing a great representation of how the advantage in battle can swing for one protagonist to the other that is an anime mainstay.

This is all helped by some of the slickest presentation shown this generation. This is probably the greatest representation of anime characters yet seen in a game. The representations are near flawless and easily eclipse those of the 2 360 games (which were actually quite good graphically but looked a little off when compared to their anime counterparts) but it's the animation which really showcases the talents of the artists involved and everything moves smoothly with no framerate drops or screen tearing (that I have noticed) to impact on the game's visual finesse.

Also, both the English and Japanese voice actors are available for selection.

It's not a game recommended to non-Naruto fans. It simply isn't deep enough as a fighting game to attract people who haven't watched the anime or read the manga, but fans will find a lot to like.

The real disappoint is the lack of online play which is simply not acceptable for a fighting game this day and age. Fortunately, the game does have the single player Ultimate Mission Mode to increase longevity which I will detail a little later...
    Last edited by C'; 14-11-2008, 14:03.

I was looking forward to this at one point but after the demo I thought it was too slow and way too basic. I think Broken Bond will be better as it has online versus 2 on 2 (may even be 3 on 3 this - not sure) plus a decent looking adventure mode should make for much better value for money.

Comment

As a fighting game, I found the Broken Bond demo worse than Ultimate Ninja - Storm. I am completely at odds with your opinion that UNS is slower. In fact, I find the fights flow much quicker and smoother in this than what RoaN and the BB demo showed. The method of performing jutsus in particular in the Ubisoft games is very clunky (although it has the upside of allowing more jutsus per character). I think part of what helps UNS is the far superior animation helps give the impression of fights flowing more naturally. I thought combat in The Broken Bond demo was a little stilted.

I just think this is a reflection of the emphasis each game has had during development. UNS has been designed as a fighting game first and foremost with the Iltimate Mission mode added in afterwards whereas Rise of a Ninja/The Broken Bond are the opposite, with the single player taking precedence.

I do agree that The Broken Bond will offer greater longevity with online play (as I say, it's ommission from this is ridiculous) and single player mode (but I need to spend more time with Ultimate Mission Mode to be sure) but UNS is the better fighting game in my opinion.

Something that I forgot to mention in my original post about the graphics is that whilst they are incredibly impressive, there is one little aspect that lets them down. The edges can have a bit of a shimmer to them (noted more in cutscenes). I presume this is the PS3's difficulty with anti-aliasing showing up again and it doesn't detract too much, but it is the one letdown in the presentation.

Comment

I didn't say it was slower than Broken Bond I said it was too slow it most likely has a lot to do with the size of arenas takes a while to get close to your opponent, you throw a projectile and it seems to take all day to arrive at its destination. In any case Ulitimate Ninja is strictly a 1 on 1 and in this respect you expect a whole lot more depth to the fighting system, it simply isn't there the fights felt quite dull to me. Thats what I thought anyway..

Comment

Ultimate Mission Mode

So I've put 4-5 hours into this mode now and mixed feelings. You start off with free roaming access to a moderately sized Konoha. Pretty standard fare with some villagers to talk to, shops, breakable objects etc. You have a chakra bar which depletes when you Dash. You also have the Naruto Cannon which fires you a distance and the further/higher you want to go, the more chakra it costs. Completing the mission for the Ichiraku Ramen shop owner (which involves obtaining different ingredients for different flavours of ramen) increases the amount of chakra you can store, allowing you to Dash for longer or use the Naruto Cannon to travel larger distances.

However, there really is very little to do in the town which is disappointing so you need to kick off with the missions which are divided into 2 types. Flashback Missions and Free Missions.

Flashback Missions are those which follow the story arcs of the series with you playing through events of the various arcs. As you progress through these you require greater amounts of Mission XP to unlock the next in the series.

This is obtained via the Free Missions which are extras not directly linked to the story. These are rated from rank S to D depending on difficulty.

Missions are not just restricted to battles with opponents. Missions have included finding people/items in Konoha, tree climbing (essentially racing up the tree and dodging branches that slow you down whilst collecting power ups which speed you up) and dashing through the forest (which operates similarly to tree climbing but from a different perspective).

Each mission requires to meet specific objectives. For the non-fights this is usually completing the stage within a time limit but for fights can limit you to not having Awakening powers or having to call support characters a specific number of times. Completing a mission rewards you with in game currency and items. Upon completing some of the missions, you can repeat them and you are given extra bonus objectives to meet to gain further bonuses. In the non-fight missions these usually involve completing the mission in an even tighter time limit but can be more varied in the battle missions offering up goals such as perform a 10 hit combo or defeat your opponent with a Ninjutsu.

There's a lot of missions on offer but nothing to involving and the structure of Ultimate Mission Mode is a lot more segmented than Rise of a Ninja/The Broken Bond.

Although the game offers a large number of missions to complete and bonuses to earn, the mode is a little lacking on the whole. It starts off promisingly enough but after the mode's opening cutscenes all conversations and mission briefings have been written texts with little to no cutscenes/voiceovers at all. The game also completely skips over the Zabuza/Haku story arc going straight from Gennin Training Arc to the Chunin Exam Arc.

There's a lot of collectables to go for though which will keep completists going if they are so inclined (probably a little too much). You have currency for purchasing items. Each time you complete a mission secret scrolls appear in Konoha to collect (used to purchase new Ninjutsu skills for Support Characters), ingredients (for the Ramen Mission) and treasure boxes to collect as well as a number of items including figures, music and Ultimate Jutsu movies viewable from the Collection menu. The character select screen also has space for around 10-12 characters the first of which to unlock was

Kakashi who unlocked after completing the Genin Training Arc missions.

Comment

Working...
          X