Football Manager 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football Manager 2009

Started playing this last night until i make my mind up about FM live.

THIS IS THE MOST STUPID, ANNOYING VERSION OF THE FM SERIES I HAVE EVER PLAYED

Is anyone playing this? If so does anyone find it completely and ridiculously hard to win any league games

I have played every incarnation of this series and the old CM series it used to be. All of the previous games have been fantastically realistic with all the training and tactics you can mess about with to improve your team and i can generally win the premier league in the first season with united.

This version is unbelievable though. I have played 12 games and have 7 points!!!!!!!

At first i thought maybe its more in depth and i need to tweak a few bits in tacs and training here and there, but nothing works. I honestly think its blind luck to win a match.

I blitzed though pre-season winning all games about 5-0. Won the CS, then Lost my first league game at home to stoke 3-0
    Lost my second game at home to West brom 3-0
    Drew at Anfield 1-1
    Lost at home again to Hull 2-0
    and on and on it went like this.

My team just cannot score or defend in the league. My players run away from the ball leaving the opposition no one to challenge them. The AI goal might as well have a brick wall in front of it, the keeper saves everything. Its absolutely hopeless.

I lose almost all 50-50 balls and i can not for the life of me win any of the challenges that happen on the pitch when two players are going for the ball. They seem to go for it, then stop, then try again, then give up and fall over leaving the other player to score or whatever

The funniest thing i've seen so far "says thru gritted teeth" is having ronaldo line up a free kick just outside the box, the opposition create a wall, then he runs up and passes it sideways to an opposing player (and i mean literally passes it to him) who then runs off up the pitch past my centre halves and scores

Lol, i played bolton in the league cup at the reebok and battered them 5-0, then played them 3 days later in the league at OT and lost 4-0
    Was fuming so restarted then promtly lost 4-0 again (i never ever restart, it just shows how pissed off i was up to this point).
    Restarted again and lost 3-0. Is this game for real?????

Then i beat Juventus in the CL 2-0 away..............wot is going on. The game (or AI or whatever) is f*cking ridiculous.

I have tried 3 separate games now all up to 15 games in, of the season. All exactly the same. I can win cup games but can't win league games. Like i said though, i'm a bit of a veteran at this game and know how to win.

This version though i have given up with as i just can't put up with the computer cheating

I know now why it got ****e reviews.
    Last edited by NemesiS; 04-02-2009, 18:07.

Im on my 5th season, an am at complete contrast, am loving it! May be a stupid question, are you fully patched up to V 9.2.0? If not, get that done first, as it irons out a load of niggly issues! If not, my only piece of advice is to stick with it, i had a few games that i gave up on after 1/2 a season, but with my new save, am really into it (playing at the moment!!)

Stick with it mate, game is quality.

Aaron

Comment

9.1 i'm on. I'll patch it now Aaron. It's absolutely doing my head in. I love the FM games but its just getting ridiculous atm.

Comment

Yeah definatly patch it, ive never been a believer of the patches, but in FM09's case, ive been converted, the difference is night and day!! Like you ive played every FM, right back from CM1. Probably my all time fav game! Hope it gets better for you.

Aaron

Comment

It hardly got ****e reviews.

Anyway try rooting around the official forums, there's plenty of team guides and discussion as well as tactics discussion. I admit it's harder than before but after a tough start I managed to engineer 2 home wins against arsenal and chelsea then an away draw against liverpool (I'm spurs).

The patch helped as well.

Comment

I'll post back when i have patched it and given it a run. It certainly can't get any bloody worse.

I think the new match engine is ok tho. I heard a lot of bad reports about it but i like it. The only downer is watching your team disintegrate in front of your eyes in a league game, and watching ferdinand defend like dinner lady.

He either runs away from the ball or loses out in every tackle. I transfer listed him, but vidic does the same, lol . If it wasn't so annoying it would be comical

Comment

Originally posted by FreelancePolice View Post
              It hardly got ****e reviews.
              Most reviews i have seen are all about 70%ish, or 7, which for an FM game, isnt that great.

They usually push the 90% mark.

Also, i have tried loads of different tactics etc from the FM forums to no avail. Nothing seems to work in the league.

Patching it now anyway

Comment

I'm into around 2020 playing as sunderland, and haven't had those problems, though I'm finding cups easier than the league. League positions went roughly 15, 13, 10, 6, 3, 2,3232323 etc. Lost the league cup final early on and won the uefa cup and then champs league 2x in a row in the last couple of seasons but can't be consistent enough in the league to beat the mighty arsenal.
                Tactics are pretty basic, 4 4 2, one holding midfielder, sliders depending on how good my team is ie direct passing and lots of pressing when I started the job, short passing now...

Comment

Arsenal are the same with my league. Just unbeatable. I'm about 20 games in to another season and i am still struggling in the league. Arsenal have already walloped me 3-0 at Old Trafford, and that is without Fabregas who went to Madrid and Adebayor who went to Juve....go figure. They are unbeaten tho if i remember from last night.

I again sailed through pre-season with Berba and Tevez free scoring, hauling about 12 goals apiece. Won the CS and then POW........., lost my first league game at home to Sunderland 1-0....

I am doing slightly better though this time and i have won a few (only by a goal mind), but i'm still well off the pace. I have noticed when i am winning, the last 10 mins drags unbelivably slowly with lots of action and chances for the AI. If i am chasing the game, when it gets to approx 75 mins, the last 15 mins just sails by without incident

The AI keepers in the league are f*cking super human, my free scoring £100m worth of striking talent can't muster a goal between them in most games and usually only have about 4 shots all game. The shots they do have are almost always saved or well over.

I'm also fed up of watching my players get near the ball then stop, run away???????? or not even tackle. Insane. They also make the most implausible passes and its always backwards when you can see there is an glaringly obvious opportunity on screen for a through ball for a possible goal. But NO, pass back to the keeper cos that will get us a goal.

I have also used my same tactics that i used in FM08 that made my United and Stockport teams unbeatable but it aint happening here.
                  Last edited by NemesiS; 05-02-2009, 09:46.

Comment

FM Live is filling the gap for me at the moment. I was wary of it as FM 09 was so bad. FM live is gaming crack.

Comment

i find the psp version extremely irratating!
                      i always play as arsenal and have never come above 5th in the league.. got sacked into my 3rd season

tried numberous different tactics, i have found after the 2005/2006 season apart from the awesome new features, the gameplay has become shoddy and almost impossible to win..

then again 2005 had soooo many cheap brazil players!

Comment

I started again for about the 8th time now and decided to use the exact same tactics as i was using when i was getting hammered.

The only change i made this time was to drop the star names and play the likes of Fletcher, Evans, Raphael etc, and to my amazement i have been winning. I'm basically playing a team of almost second stringers. I just don't understand the AI in this game

Bringing on the likes of a morally poor Ferdinand or Ronaldo etc as subs, for the likes of park, Fletcher or Evans is ridiculous. But its working. If start with all the star names, i lose almost every time, lol.

Definately the worst game in the series

Comment

I don't know how your struggling with man u! Try being spurs

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                            Most reviews i have seen are all about 70%ish, or 7, which for an FM game, isnt that great.

They usually push the 90% mark.
                            Sorry to be a pedant here but I've got to call this up - http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...manager%202009

You must of just seen the low end of the spectrum. It's not the highest of the series (as I think it was rightly criticised for some glaring issues when it was launched) but the patch has helped that and it's now a very strong entry imo. I can't think what else to suggest other than read through some of the club guides on the forums. Motivation and club morale play a much larger part in this game (that I've experienced) so that may have had an effect on the team.

Comment

Ive tried playing this several times as man u and I struggled compared to previous games too.

No matter what you do it dosent really seem to effect the flow of the game, unlike previous games in the series where things like subsitutions and altering tactics changes the course of games nothing like that happens here.

I'm not finding it very fun at all really.

Comment

Working...
                              X