Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, I have 360 version too.

Comment

Doesn't really matter who you play as, it'll piss someone off - I frequently get told how cheap I am for using Bison because apparently all I do is headstomp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
        As I've said, I'm a "decent" player, my win ratio in 250 games is above 50% so I can't be awful. What I object to is reading post after post that lumps me in with every other player out there, that is why I'm (in your words) on the defensive here.

The insinuation net-wide is that I *can't* be any good because I'm a Ken player, this is absolute bullsh*t. Can a Dan player be any good? Of course they can. They are a player skin with a set of moves, it's how you utilise that makes you any good.
        Of course you can face exceptional Ken players. I think I?ve come up against almost every character online and faced both good and bad examples of those characters. Ken is no exception and I?ve said multiple times in this thread that I?ve no problem at all battling a Ken who clearly knows his stuff. Unfortunately, the sheer volume of Ken players means that the ratio of good:bad players is massively skewed and that has created this perception. It was posted not long after your first post by someone else that they enjoy it when their opponent picks Ken as their immediate reaction is ?easy win?.

Rightly or wrongly I can understand that perception somewhat. Whilst I?d never be so arrogant as to presume a Ken means an easy win, I do admit that my assumptions are different to when they choose anyone else. My first thought if they select Fei-Long or Zangief or whoever is that they must be really proficient with that character, which is something I?ve rarely considered when they choose Ken. It?s wrong and unfair but familiarity has led to that perception.

If you are hitting "quick match" then you've no right to complain about facing ken after ken, why not try playing some people on here instead? I know that when I'm playing Seany or Dazzyman, after the first 5-10 matches, I'll swith to alternate characters...I might lose when I try E-Honda or Dictator, but I'm playing with my mates, so who cares.
        I never touch Quick Match purely because I want to make sure the connection stability is acceptable before I choose. And again, I?ve posted many times how my best experiences on this game have come from Player Matches including matches against fellow forumites. Sometimes though my Friends List doesn?t permit me to pick an opponent, or even I may just be in the mood to see if I can boost my BP some more.

Personally I think you need to not take any criticisms of Ken players so personally. If you have a strong Ken that strays beyond the staple Hadoken > Hadoken > Hadoken > SHORYUKEN I don?t think anyone will begrudge you having Ken as your main. The people who moan about the character regardless of the ability of the player behind him, are not people you should be too worried about dismissing their thoughts anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
          Doesn't really matter who you play as, it'll piss someone off - I frequently get told how cheap I am for using Bison because apparently all I do is headstomp.
          Quite right too! How DARE you use a move that it's the game!

C', I think we'll have to agree to disagree, I just don't get irritated by playing online because I have choices in what I do about it. I don't see moaning about playing loadsa of Ken's as a valid criticism because...well...he's in the game to be used. I don't find Jump back, Hadoken, Jump Back, Hadoken, Dragon Punch, Jump Back, Hadoken irritating either. I find it quite funny because for one...how can that be fun for them? I like to do a recovery dragon punch and once I'm on top against a player like that, it's hilarious watching them panic as I back them into a corner! Or try the same recovery dragon punch only to find me blocking and them to be on the end of a rather swift ultra finish
          Last edited by Jebus; 07-04-2009, 08:35.

Comment

I honestly don't think we're even disagreeing.

You do seem to be misunderstanding my concerns as being expressed as irritation when I've gone through my recent posts and confirmed that I've never once used that word in relation to the game. Easy and boring maybe, but not irritating. In fact, as I main Chun-Li fireball spamming Kens are rarely an issue. Her Ultra deals with fireball abuse ridiculously well

For what it's worth, the Rufus/Ken vid that I suspect annoyed you enough to make your initial post is pathetic.

Also, going through your recent posts where you've talked about your gameplan, I certainly don't think you should be worried about perceptions of others. If you know what is appropriate and when, you are a good player.

Comment

I've got to agree with previous posts- those who moan about various chars spamming moves and call others scrubs are the real scrubs. There's a good post about it on SRK. But yeah, anyone who's any good shouldn't have a problem demolishing people who trot out the same old moves and don't have any real tactics.

Personally, I don't necessarily mind fighting 10 average Kens in a row. It's all good practice and makes the 10 consecutive ranked wins achievement easier (even though I got to 9 last Saturday and then had to switch off and go out for something- bastard!). I only get frustrated when I lose to someone who I could have beaten, but then it's only because I've ballsed up somewhere and it just makes me concentrate more and try not to make the same mistake again.

All this discussion is redundant anyway- everyone knows that real noobs pick Akuma

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                Also, going through your recent posts where you've talked about your gameplan, I certainly don't think you should be worried about perceptions of others. If you know what is appropriate and when, you are a good player.
                Which is fair enough, and as I said, I'm "decent" (though at the moment, whilst still winning on LIVE I feel like I'm playing terribly, which I'm blaming on my man-flu) but remember, the game is still pretty new and as is so accessable to newcomers they will use him. We have to start somewhere and (not aimed at you here) the elitist snobbery aimed at Ken players isn't very nice to see. As I said, we all have to start somewhere!

If anything is annoying me at the moment, it's the frequency of "slowdown" games I'm getting. So many games are snail paced now because of, I assume, latency based problems. Just played a match against (of all irony's) a Ken host, although I beat him with my Boxer, I had to resort to not using specials as the game was so juddery that I couldn't pull of charge moves properly in it. Still finished with an ultra in round 2 which, even now, is just so so satisfying.

Endo, I actually like Akuma, but I rarely play as him for more than one match...his Ultra, if missed is just asking for losing the round and whilst he has a nice variation of offensive and defensive moves, he is weak as a baby, you can dish out the damage like crazy but they'll kill you in (seemingly) half the hits.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                  It's the head stomping I found the most difficult to deal with. Doesn't help that he throws lots of eratic fake stomps into the mix.

I managed to figure out some ways to avoid it. Firstly, I found I should block high. However, I found myself either blocking low in panic or Lariating, both big no-nos
                  I think my problem is partly that the Zangief flowchart in my head has a bit that goes "opponent in air -> lariat!" which doesn't entirely work against Bison .

Comment

Endo, I actually like Akuma, but I rarely play as him for more than one match...his Ultra, if missed is just asking for losing the round and whilst he has a nice variation of offensive and defensive moves, he is weak as a baby, you can dish out the damage like crazy but they'll kill you in (seemingly) half the hits.
                    Yeah, he's massively vulnerable in SF4. I used Akuma a lot in 3rd Strike, which really ticked some people off, so I thought I might give him a rest in this game- still mess about with him every now and then though.
                    Although, it pleases me greatly when someone unleashes their ultra only for me to jump over and deliver a whooping from behind. Missus.
                    It's also good when you see someone trying to get their ultra out and they can't (they're standing in the corner doing random jabs). I'm only too happy to jump in and combo that ****.

Comment

I love that too! It makes me laugh my ass off seeing people going jab jab kick kick jabjab jab kick kick! That is the one time as a Ken I'll just stand still throwing fireballs at them. Then stop...wait...jump and...SAVAGE!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that people let it be known exactly what they are gonna do. If I hit you with Akuma's ultra or super, you'll be getting it whilst you are falling from the air, have been hit by a full focus or as part of a combo!

I quite like a cheeky jump OVER someone followed by immediate ultra with him too!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                        I think my problem is partly that the Zangief flowchart in my head has a bit that goes "opponent in air -> lariat!" which doesn't entirely work against Bison .
                        Does lariating trade hits? I think the safest way is to block high or dash back for a pile driver or lariat.

Another problem I found was Bison's EX stomp on wake up. That was getting me loads haha. I found the jumping headbutt as he awakes worked.

Comment

Headstomping Zangief is way too dangerous - I'd wager that anyone doing that is panicking a bit. It's all about the standing roundhouse with Bison; stuffs all of Zangles jump ins (if you space correctly) & the lariat too, so he can't get in close. That's a big **** off to mother Russia.

Comment

Actually, I'm getting mixed I think with the Bison move. It's that upside-down purple hand that gets me. Is that just as dangerous for Bison against Zangief?

I either have to block high or dash back. Could try a jumping headbutt, but Bison has that funny fake purple hand flight where he can fly towards or away.

Any tips on both moves?

I'm guessing a blocked headstomp can be followed up with a SPD?
                            Last edited by hudson; 07-04-2009, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                              Actually, I'm getting mixed I think with the Bison move. It's that upside-down purple hand that gets me. Is that just as dangerous for Bison against Zangief?
                              You mean the Devil's Reverse - no that's a lot safer for Bison, as it can hit Gief on his outstretched hand rather than his head. That said, it still has to be timed as too early in the lariat & it'll either trade or flat out lose. Zangles is a tough match for Bison

Originally posted by hoolak
                              I'm guessing a blocked headstomp can be followed up with a SPD?
                              This why headstomping Gief is a bad idea (unless he's in the air) - if he walks back or blocks it & you don't bounce away, you'll be eating SPD's until the cows come home - I've made that mistake far too much in moments of panic.
                              Last edited by Geoff D; 07-04-2009, 10:08.

Comment

Either I'm ****e or Lurch is really good with Bison.

Comment

Working...
                                X