Demon's Souls PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wools View Post
    However, to someone who's new to the game, the boss battles feel cheap and unfair with little advice given and a endless health bar to diminish. I will go back and maybe I'll discover a trick or tactic, but it's a shame to build up all this goodwill and then be thrown into a boss battle.
    it's going to be like that all the way through, unfortunately!

people will be quick to tell you that it's isn't cheap, though - you just need to play the same thing repeatedly until you discover the trick (and there always is a trick). Or you could succeed first time if you're extremely skilled and/or a psychic.

whether that's cheap or not is probably open to interpretation.

In the end, my opinion on the game ended up being similar to your impressions: incredible world, fantastic mechanics, but the repetition eventually flattened my will to continue.
    I'm sure it's incredibly satisfying if you can press on through though.

Comment

Thanks Darwock & Tig, I'll give Firebombs a go when I next give it a try.

The game is brilliant but I was just frustrated after enjoying it for the entire playtime but was then destroyed by the boss. It reminded me of Ninja Gaiden, in that the core game is fantastic, but my enjoyment came to an end when a screen filling boss appeared!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        Thanks Darwock & Tig, I'll give Firebombs a go when I next give it a try.

The game is brilliant but I was just frustrated after enjoying it for the entire playtime but was then destroyed by the boss. It reminded me of Ninja Gaiden, in that the core game is fantastic, but my enjoyment came to an end when a screen filling boss appeared!
        You might even have the item that enable you to put fire on your weapon. I made short work of that boss with my flaming weapon.

Comment

can you still use the 'cheat' in the UK version

Comment

No. That was taken out in a quite early patch in the Asian version. Assuming we're talking about the same cheat of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post
              it's going to be like that all the way through, unfortunately!

people will be quick to tell you that it's isn't cheap, though - you just need to play the same thing repeatedly until you discover the trick (and there always is a trick). Or you could succeed first time if you're extremely skilled and/or a psychic.

whether that's cheap or not is probably open to interpretation.

In the end, my opinion on the game ended up being similar to your impressions: incredible world, fantastic mechanics, but the repetition eventually flattened my will to continue.
              I'm sure it's incredibly satisfying if you can press on through though.
              That isnt true though, theres no trick to any of the bosses becuase they can all be killed in several ways.

Plus most of the can actualy be killed just by spamming loads of arrows at them from far away.

The bosses are the easiest part of the game.

Comment

Just a quick one here. Has anyone managed to copy an existing DS save file from one PS3 to another? As it's a protected save, i was wondering whether a full system data transfer would copy it, or ignore it? Getting differing opinions on the web!!

I am am simply not going to invest another 200 hours into this going through it again if it can't be copied

Comment

System data transfer will copy everything on one PS3 to another. Copy-protected stuff will be moved instead of copied.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Got this for Christmas. Started playing it last week. Just completed it with around 70 hours clock. Best game I've played in years.

This might sound overly dramatic, but I think playing this game is healthy. Unlike other games that makes you feel powerful by doing almost nothing - they ask you to press a button at the right time, triggering huge set pieces - this one demands that you get better at the game to progress. While other games let you respawn mere seconds before you died - what used to be called "god mode" back in the day - this one demands that you learn from your mistakes, and try again, until you get it right. Playing most modern games today gives one a superficial experience. A lot of flashes triggered by following a linear path in easy game with AI partners and unlimited respawns. It might give you a quick thrill, but since the game asks almost nothing in return of you, the experience will be desensitizing. The next game will have to offer bigger set pieces, more superficial rewards (the XP system in all multiplayer shooters for instance) for every little action you do. This is an ongoing cycle. Simply look at how Call of Duty has changed from the first game. I believe playing games like these will make the player impatient and lazy.

Demons Souls rewards for what you did when you actually deserve it. Sometimes the road to the reward might seem tiring, but that makes the reward that much more meaningful. After playing this game non-stop for the last week, I feel as if I have accomplished something. After playing through Black Ops I felt indifferent and unsatisfied. Demons Souls contains almost all of what I think is missing in modern games. Those of you that still haven't picked this up should really give it a chance. It's something quite special.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                      Stuff
                      Excellent post. If you were nearby I'd give you a hug. You've reminded me I really need to buy this before the servers are switched off.

Comment

Agree: Alex WS's thoughts are spot-on. Makes me want to play the game through again.

Comment

Yeah, great post. I think once you've made a connection with this game it's in your blood. I've just started playing it through again and my thoughts are filled with it once again; planning my next runs, loots, battles and builds between sessions. It is truly an amazing game.

Comment

Absolutely loving romping through this again. When I had the American version I completed it with a Soldier/toe-to-toe combat build character ... playing again I've gone down the magic route, completely changing the experience. No better, no worse, just very different, and just as amazing. Uncovering more secret stuff this time too.

Made a schoolboy error with my bow though. Upgraded it past the point where you can turn it into the lava bow. And my chara build is way off being able to use the white bow without some serious grinding. Hoping my compound short bow +8 is good enough to dispatch the blue dragon. Edit: just remembered you can lock on so I'll use magic for the 2nd phase.
                            Last edited by Atticus; 07-03-2011, 10:26.

Comment

Only Old Monk & King Allant to go. With King Allant can I get close enough (wearing the Thief's Ring) to hit him with Poison Cloud without him retaliating? And if so where is the best place to stay?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Only Old Monk & King Allant to go. With King Allant can I get close enough (wearing the Thief's Ring) to hit him with Poison Cloud without him retaliating? And if so where is the best place to stay?
                                With the Thief's Ring you can also play hide and seek with him by throwing a couple of arrows and then retreating until he stops following you. IIRC with the right knife and rings you can also stab him to death in a couple of hits.

Comment

Working...
                                X