[DS]Peggle Dual Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DS]Peggle Dual Shot

Finally a DS title that does not disapoint.

As well as capturing all the greatness of the PC versions of Peggle and Peggle Nights, the developers Q Entertainment, make this package a bargain that is hard to turn down. The normal PC versions have an RRP of $20 each, this game contains both PC games and some extra DS exclusives for an RRP of $30, though can be sourced for about $25 (?18 ish).

For those that do not know, Peggle is a very addictive PC game from the masters Pop Cap.

The game has you shoot a ball down a table to the bottom, trying to hit orange pegs on the way. You have a set number of balls per table, and each table has green power up pegs, and purple bonus pegs. Each table also has a ball catcher, that moves left to right across the bottom of each table. Shoot your ball in here to get an extra ball.

So the gameplay. Clear the table of orange pegs by hitting them, eliminating them in the process. Sounds easy? Well no, as once the ball is fired, you have no way to control its path. Once you hit the final orange peg that triggers Extreme Fever. This replaces the bottom of the table with 5 hole, each with a different point value to give you a bonus score at the end of the level While the gameplay sounds dull and boring, it works so well and this is captured on the DS fantasticly.

The game lets you tap anywhere on the screen and have the blaster shoot the ball to that exact location (as long as something on the table does not deflect the balls path). Or you can use L and R to move the blaster and shoot with A. You can also zoom into any part of the table, to get a more accurate shot.

All in, as well las the story mode. Which is combined Peggle and Peggle Nights, has over 100 levels. You can revisit levels to try and better your scores. The game also features an exclusive multiplayer game which hot seats the DS called Peggle Dual Shot. The usual Challenge mode is also still there having you achieve goals on all the unlocked tables and some new DS exclusive ones.

Graphically its not great and the sound is very rough, but that is not what the game is about, there do not effect the game to spoil it in any way, i would much rather have more content for poorer graphics/sound.

All in this is one great value package which contains hours of addictive entertainment, a great fir for the Ds casual games market and the hardcore gamers alike.

I love peggle and am thinking about picking this up, but I'm wondering.

I own both PC games, is there really enough extra content here to justify my purchase?

Comment

In a word no. I think there is only 10 new challenge levels and the 2 player mode.

Comment

I have been a long term peggle fanboy, think I even started the first play threads here for the pc version.

All the DS version proves is what a stonking game it is under the graphics as in programming terms the DS version is a bit of a stinking horror, the graphics and ball movement wouldn't look out of place on the GBA yet despite how fugly it is there is still something worth playing in there, really ugly lazy feeling port though and for your dosh I'd sy get the pc version still unless you have to play it on the bus.

Comment

While the graphics and sound are shocking its not enough to spoil the game i feel. As i said it is not about the graphics and the gameplay in this DS game more than prooves that.

I would take gameplay over graphics ANYTIME and the gameplay is still top notch.

Comment

agree with the sentiment but I think that this is so poor that it will put off anybody but the already convinced Peggle fan, who doesn't get much new in this.

the 'payoff' where you get Peggle Fever and Ode to Joy zooms in and shows your ball to be perfect square ! the game engine seems to chug and slowdown a bit too.

I totally agree that in this game where you set the ball off then watch its not a killer but feels really shoddy, takes me back to the days of Speccy arcade conversions.

Comment

Really looking forward to this (just waiting for VG+ to ship my copy).

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                agree with the sentiment but I think that this is so poor that it will put off anybody but the already convinced Peggle fan, who doesn't get much new in this.

the 'payoff' where you get Peggle Fever and Ode to Joy zooms in and shows your ball to be perfect square ! the game engine seems to chug and slowdown a bit too.

I totally agree that in this game where you set the ball off then watch its not a killer but feels really shoddy, takes me back to the days of Speccy arcade conversions.
                It think its unfair to compare the graphics on a PC game to those on the DS version. I had played the Peggle PC demos but never bought the full games and i do not feel let down by this. I would much rather have the content and gameplay over graphics and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                  I'm not sure if thats true actualy, My first experience of peggle was actualy on a mobile phone, it got me hooked, and I bought the PC games afterwards. I'm sure this has better graphics and sound than that version did.

Comment

Its not too different from the original version so you cant go wrong. I thought they where going to muck it up by having the game screen split, but they went with the sensible option of sticking to one screen for the actual game. I love it

Comment

The challenges are hard, extremely hard in places.

Comment

Eventually played this for an hour or so this morning & loved every minute of it. Feeling a bit under the weather, so laying back on my bed playing Peggle is just the right sort of gaming experience for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X