The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena [360/PS3/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena [360/PS3/PC]

I am one of those people that played the original Riddick game on the Xbox but didn't finish it so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick this as it also includes a redone version of Escape from Butcher Bay.

It plays exactly the same as the original (well from what I remember anyway) so needless to say it plays pretty well. There is nice mix of first person stealth, fist fighting and shooting, it won't take you long at all to get used to style of the gameplay at all. Basically all of the awesome gameplay from the original title remains intact, so you can a breath a sigh of relief there.

The main upgrade (as you might know) is applied to the visuals, the game looks quite a bit better than the Xbox version. It has been ages since I played the the original but the graphical update of the game is definitely noticeable. Lighting is more defined, textures are at a higher resolution, environment and character models generally look better. I did come across one particular part of the game though that looked incredibly shiny, shiny walls ftw! I thought it was rather funny

Saying all that though, there are few minor niggles with the game graphically. During close-ups on faces I noticed some weird flickering on occasions, this didn't happen all the time but was definitely noticeable when it happened. Also I guess if you really look around you can probably also find a few slightly low resolution textures but that would just be nitpicking.

I haven't played the Dark Athena campaign yet (will do that after I complete Butcher Bay) and haven't touched the multiplayer too, which actually looks decent. At this moment all I can say is the game is a definitely a nice visual upgrade of Escape from Butcher Bay, well worth it if you haven't played/finished the original or even if you just wanna revist the the infamous Butcher Bay!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I did complete EFBB and like pretty much everyone I loved it. Today the game is still absolutely brilliant minor a few niggles.

I havent played AODA yet, but EFBB remains just as brilliant as ever, a wonderful mix of stealth and action in a peverse environment. The game is still just as excellently dark and moody as ever and remains just as atmospheric, but it bring something to light. Today games have changed, we expect emotive animation from every NPC in all games and it seems whilst the voice acting brillianty portrays the setting and mood, the animation cant nearly stand up. It doesnt fair much better in cutscenes either.

Thankfully the game refrains from showing too much in a non-interactive fashion and all-in-all remains compelling and enjoyable with fantastic immersion. Well worth a punt.

Comment

If you've never completed Butcher Bay, your in for a treat at the end

All those years of being trampled and humiliated by ****ty end bosses, reversed in one brilliantly orchestrated, mech rampaging, move

Comment

How does the game present itself in the way you can choose to play?

For example, can I play Assault on Dark Athena from the word go, or do I have to play through Butcher Bay first?

You have written up some fine first play impressions as usual Ezee!

I quite like the box-art too:

Comment

I believe you can play Athena first...

I'm desperate to start this but I promised myself that I'd dedicate a nice session to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
            How does the game present itself in the way you can choose to play?

For example, can I play Assault on Dark Athena from the word go, or do I have to play through Butcher Bay first?

You have written up some fine first play impressions as usual Ezee!

I quite like the box-art too:

Why, thank you sir

I can confirm you can choose to play either of the campaigns as soon as you load up the game. A menu pops up asking you if you want to play Escape from Butcher Bay or Assault on Dark Athena.

Oh and I'm with you on the box art, very nice.

Comment

Going to have a go on mine today. Anyone tried the demos? Was shocked how bad the gamma is on PS3 version its way off not the usual its your TV alter it job and you need the game to be dark obviously. After trying both I plumped for 360.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                If you've never completed Butcher Bay, your in for a treat at the end

All those years of being trampled and humiliated by ****ty end bosses, reversed in one brilliantly orchestrated, mech rampaging, move
                When I played this on the Xbox that part was completely unexpected and I loved it.

I got this today but haven't been able to play it yet and was wondering if this game only allows one game save or can you have separate Butcher Bay and Athena game saves on the go at the same time?

Comment

ive not played any version? what games is it most similar too? ill have to get the demo tomorrow

Comment

anyone played the DA campaign yet? I'm interested to hear how it holds up to butcher bay

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                      I got this today but haven't been able to play it yet and was wondering if this game only allows one game save or can you have separate Butcher Bay and Athena game saves on the go at the same time?
                      I haven't tried it myself yet but I don't see why it shouldn't allow you to do that, would be a slight pain if it didn't.

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                      ive not played any version? what games is it most similar too? ill have to get the demo tomorrow
                      Difficult question to answer really, a few reviews I have read compared it to Bioshock which is kind of baffling really as this game really has its own style. If you were to press me though, I would have to say it is similar to The Darkness (same developer) but without the crazy powers.

Originally posted by watusi View Post
                      anyone played the DA campaign yet? I'm interested to hear how it holds up to butcher bay
                      Haven't played the Dark Athena campaign yet but let you know how it holds up as soon as I have finished the Butcher Bay one. Most of the reviews have said that Dark Athena is still a good game but inferior to Butcher Bay in most aspects.

Comment

I'm playing Butcher Bay on Hard. It's good to be back! I've heard the completion Achievements don't stack though. I like the improved visuals.

Comment

I tried replaying Butcher Bay 1.0 the other day on Hard in anticipation of this and didn't get very far. I'd forgotten how unforgiving it is.

Comment

if u complete butcher bay on hard it wont unlock the normal completion trophy but........if u finish it and unlock the hard completion trophy then reload the last checkpoint and change it to normal it does unlock the trophy that way.
                            You cant do this normal>>>>>hard though.

Comment

I started on it yesterday. I played it on xbox but memory means I dont remember huge amounts about it. Looks very good from the redone original but I forgot how dated the gunplay is now and its much better as a stealth and hand to hand game for me. I also forgot how mental it was on hard and had to go back and restart (and then just decided to start on normal) after getting stuck in a auto save area with 1 dot of health. Wouldnt be too bad but the moment the door opens the guys would shoot me before they could even see me.

Descent game though, but I do feel times have moved on for the gun combat. Still give it a 8 though just for how Butchers been redone. I do worry though for the sequel in it if its all gunplay like the reviewers have said.

Comment

Working...
                              X