Made in Ore / Warioware DIY JPN DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made in Ore / Warioware DIY JPN DS

This is more like an informative review than a proper first play thread as this time i can't recommend anyone gets the import version unless they have at least some japanese ability as the language barrier is really heavy this time, quite a few games you need to know how to read and/or write. Least you can read about it until the usa version comes out & then you can join in on the crazyness.

Funnily enough the very first time anyone got to see made in wario was way back on Polygon studio the N64DD in this first apperance you could create a polygon model then use it in a series of microgames this is what made in wario evolved from, & now 7 games later (8 if you count snapped) we finally have a full version of what the first ever game gave a taste of.

Essentially for those not familliar, the latest in the excellent made in wario series is where this time nintendo has handed the ability over to us. This time round you can create your own microgames.

Theres 2 parts to the game, the first half is playing microgames the other is making them. We'll start with the playing side first all the Playing takes plae in the Ore Shop, this time round nintendo has put 90 microgames on the cart but they are all touch screen only so no button or mic can be used, it is dissapointing but i realised why they did it as adding these features would have made the creation rules a lot more complex. The characters in this game are (Mona, Jimmy, Ashley, Orbulon & 9 Volt) a pretty small roster but this time the game is more aimed at making your own but theres enough to keep you entertained, if im brutally honest the quality of the microgames compared to the previous ds & gba ones id say these are the weakest but they are still fun to play.

The unlocking procedure is totally different this time, in previous games when you cleared a character the next character would appear, in this version it goes by the internal ds calendar each day a new character is unlocked till you have them all, it took a while to figure this out. Once you have found all the microgames for each character a few extra option unlock in the Ore shop which extend the fun, in the ore shop you can also play your own created microgames too.

Ok lets get to the main part of the game the creation side, there are 3 things you can make. Games/Music/4 panel manga, before you can do any of them though you have to goto the Wario company building & do the tutorials. In these tutorials you will be taught the basics in creating music, drawing manga & of course creating your own microgames, for the microgames you will be taught the basics of how to put everything together & to the credit of nintendo even in japanese it's pretty clear, once the tutorials are complete you are left to make your own stuff. Also in the Wario company are 2 more doors, one takes you to jobs wario wants doing, he's crap at drawing & wants someone to create sprites for him. In each job your given a template to work to & then when your finished colouring in your given a copy of the game. The final door in here is challenge mode, this is hard even for me, basically your shown a game thats half finished you have to fill in the missing AI rules to make the game work, lol lets just say in japanese it's just a tad tricky, im currently stuck on number 9.

Right now that you have finished the tutorials the building in the middle is finally of some use, this is My house & in here you will find the super creator 21 machine, this machine is where you make the stuff, as you complete a tutorial an option will unlock on it, first lets do games. When you go in the first thing you will notice is it looks & feels just like a super deluxe version of mario paint, it's got lots of icons everywhere but all of them easy to remember & use. A microgame is made up of 4 parts (a background/sprites/music/AI rules)

So first we'd draw the background, then in the next section we would draw the sprites for the game your doing you can animate any sprite upto 4 frames, oh i forgot to mention each game you make has a point limit i think its 290 points each sprite & thing you add to the game uses up these points, sort of like a memory limit so you have to work within this boundry for each microgame you make but as you do stuff it tells you how many points you have used. Now once you have your background & sprites it's time for the AI rules, by clicking on a sprite you can place it in your stage & then select the rules on how its going to behave. Theres a list of options that make a script for it, it's simple but very clever too for example we could have a sprite of a butterfly. I want to click on it to make it fly away, so i would select the input method so id choose touch, then id choose animate so when i touched it the sprite would change to the next one & wings would move. Then i could add a second rule this time i would choose movement, then select what kind of movement to do theres a whole list of kinds of movement including erratic wobbling movement. Then just add a sound effect rule & voila, then all is needed is a switch adding to let the game know that once the butterfly is touched the game is cleared. Theres a bit more to it but thats the general gist of it.

The scripts can have quite a few lines so you can do pretty complex stuff but in japanese it's very veeeery hard. The final bit of the creation is to add your own music, once your all done you can test it out & tweak the various parts once happy you click finish & you choose a description for your game & what design & colour your cart is going to be, then the final option is to either lock or leave it open. Once all these are selected the machine churns out a cart with your game on it which is stored in your microgame section. Now one thing i haven't mentioned yet is you can go into any microgame on the cart & borrow sprites music & even see how the AI rules are set up & use them in your own game, thats what the locking feature is used for if you don't want others accessing your art & stuff.

Now theres 2 more things you can make one is music & it feels a bit like the music section in mario paint but with a lot more options this time round it's simple but it can make some nice tunes by just messing with it, i havent given it a proper go yet so theres not a whole lot i can say but theres enough there to keep you amused for ages if you like making your own music. The final thing you can do is make your own 4 panel comics, in this mode you just have 4 panels to draw what you want but your given an army of stamps & freehand drawing tools to create mini comics, these are all in B&W you can do a lot of funny stuff with minimal effort. When finished your music turns into a record & your comics into a book & these are both stored in the Ore shop, also on the cart you can unlock comics & music.

Phew nearly there, the last bit to mention is the online stuff to share your creations, this is all done in the Box building, theres several connection options. You can upload your games to the wiiware companion game Asobu Made in Ore, so you can play them on a big screen.

To exchange between ds to ds you can either do local wireless where you dont need a friend code, if you use the WFC you do need to use friend codes (boooo) theres also the option of uploading stuff to a online store, on here you have 6 spaces in a ds case where you can hold 2 games 2 comics 2 records, so anyone on your friend list can go online even if your not & get your latest creations, at least i think this is what happens as i can't test it out as i dont know anyone with the game yet. Finally theres the Ninten shop where you can download new microgames made by them & even celebrity made microgames & you can upload your microgames made for the contests, i think the fist contest they are running has the theme of school so a microgame of getting your head flushed down a bog would be perfect

All in all i think this game is fantastic, it's one of the best things nintendo has released in quite a while, if your the creative kind then with minimal input you can make some pretty fun stuff. It will be interesting to see just how good everyones microgames are compared to nintendos, theres some pretty good ones out already & some peverted ones too.
    Last edited by importaku; 29-03-2010, 20:47.

Courtest of youtube heres some of the stuff that can be done, some of it is on ds the others look like they have been uploaded to the wii

One of the first jobs in warios company

Lol dreamcast

Konami oldschool hehe

Megaman battle
    Last edited by importaku; 07-05-2009, 15:29.

Comment

So, just to be clear, I could download the WiiWare version to my Wii and play stuff created by others? Is that the main element to the WiiWare version or do you know if it allows you to play the 90 minigames included on the DS cart?

Comment

Thanks for the wealth of info. Sounds really interesting and definitely worth a look when an English language version appears. The freedom seems incredible considering the system and I'm amazed at some of the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          So, just to be clear, I could download the WiiWare version to my Wii and play stuff created by others? Is that the main element to the WiiWare version or do you know if it allows you to play the 90 minigames included on the DS cart?
          Only if they send it to your wii from theirs, or if you download the new microgames from nintendo. The only way to play user created stuff is if it's uploaded from the ds version or from nintendo or sent to you from another wii user that has uploaded content to theirs, the wii version is just for playing not creating. Maybe theres an option to look for user content but im not sure as im not upgrading my wii firmware yet so the new shop is off limits for me at the moment so i can't get this.

The microgames that come on the wii version are totally different to the ds version & vice versa.

Comment

Thanks Importaku for the extensive comments, it sounds fantastic to me. Disappointing about the Friends Only exchange system, but I guess the dangers of getting spammed with obscenity was too much for Nintendo to bear. Hopefully the competitions will allow the friendless (i.e., me) to get in on some user-created content. I'm going to have to wait for the translation, though. No confirmation of such as yet, do you know?

Comment

Thanks for the detailed write-up as ever Importaku. Think I'll hold fire until the US release now, as I don't want to get frustrated at not being able to create the things I want because of the language barrier.

Comment

I'm guessing from some of the more 'photo-realistic' games that you can use DSi camera to grab visual material?

Comment

Nope no dsi functions in the game the box or manual dosen't mention it either. Whichever person made that game they must have drawn it by hand which is pretty shocking as its very well done.

Comment

Thanks for your impressions

One thing worries me , I have seen the clips on youtube and none of what I have seen of the user created content has any sprites that can be dragged around the screen, it seems to be only tap the screen and nothing else. There also seem to be arrow buttons on some games that you touch with the stylus to make your sprite move in the desired direction. Surely that is anti intuitive?! Is it possible to drag sprites in mini games with the stylus?

Comment

I had a look in the AI routines list & also at the minigames that are on the cart & i couldn't find any that involve sliding the sprites around, im guessing it's not in this version. Looks like it's just tapping only this time around.

Comment

Now that the usa release is out im getting back into the swing of things & this game, hehe working on a few minigames that are pretty warped but nothing compared to this LOL, the mario one had me pissing myself laughing.

nothing like having 2 copies of the same game but the editor is very hard & slows me right down in japanese. Hurrah that it made it to the west.

Anyone else tempted now that it's readable?

Comment

Man, I still haven't actually put the game in my DS after getting it before I left Japan.

Those are some interesting games...

Comment

Erm, slightly disturbing!

Weird that this is getting a full boxed release. Maybe that's a clue as to how DSiware is performing.

Will definately be picking this up as it seems much more akin to the older Warioware games (the on the cart stuff) and the editor looks like it has an excellent suite of tools.

Any idea if there are many differences feature wise compared to the Jap DSiware release?

Comment

Think you might have got it confused with warioware snapped that was a dsiware game. Warioware DIY was only ever designed as full cartridge game.

Comment

Working...
                              X