Oboro Muramasa (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oboro Muramasa (Wii)

After initially being blown away by the screen shots of Odin Sphere (though I never got around to playing it), wanting something visually stunning for my eyes to enjoy since gorging themselves on Okami and needing to give my long neglected Wii some love, I took the plunge and bought the Japanese version. While the visuals drew me towards this title the language barrier was always lurking in the background reminding me that this version of the game isn't actually meant for me. I remember playing through Zelda: Twilight Princess and feeling waves of sorrow each time a character enthusiastically told me their unintelligible tale.

So it was with some trepidation that I blew the dust off my Wii, grabbed a Gamecube controller and slipped in the disk.

Thankfully its a really beautiful looking game as I'm sure you've seen from the videos, the colours and the detail in the 2D animations along with the parallax scrolling give the feeling of a magical puppet show. Characters flip when you walk past them, the scenery spins as if on a giant wheel when you run. While areas are often repeated they're mixed up nicely with different weather effects, coming out of a rainy section into a foggy wood and then onto a bright beach - its like the colour levels on the TV get turned up and everything pops! Also the music, while a little repetitive if you stay in one area for a while, is quite strange and always interesting.

When starting the game you get the choice of two difficulty settings, one is Blue and one is Pink. Describing the difference between the "Musou" and "Shura" modes, Nakamura said that the Musou system is for people invigorated by raising levels, and the Shura system is more for action gamers who "have the habit of saying 'I am a god,'" and can play at godlike levels. I mistook the pink to represent the female character Momohime being as she is dressed in pink so my first play experiences were on the hard as nails setting playing as Momhime. Going the pink route also meant that I had chosen the RPG version of the game (instead of the pure action version which is blue like Kisuke the boy ninja). At the time I hadn't realised this and was wondering why the second boss encounter was handing me my arse on a plate over and over again. Once I switched the difficulty to blue I took him out without taking any damage, my skills had of course been greatly improved through this baptism of fire but also I was now back down at the start of the difficulty curve!

Playing as the girl character Momohime, you jump (and double jump) using the stick and double tap down to leap though a tree branch. When falling you can hold diagonal up and she will use her kimono to float. All these movements however are handled with the swiftness you'd expect from a ninja and watching her run is a joy!

Initially it was a little hard to follow where exactly my character was in the melee, but once I stopped button bashing and took a more considered style it all fell into place. The A button acts as attack and defence which works very well. Juggling a pack of enemies high into the sky, dashing between them rinsing every last green soul from their shadowy corpse before down spin attacking a lone enemy deflecting their throwing star as you descend looks incredible. You can only draw your weapon when enemies attack you so these moments become rather precious bursts of beautifully choreographed violence. You get rated after each fight but I've not worked that out yet. Had an epic boss encounter on a beach with a samurai, he was throwing all sorts of special attacks at me, like sending giant pink swipes across the screen to break my sword and vertical beam attacks to try and juggle me. It was during this fight that I realised that I too had special attacks, some the same as his, some far more deadly depending on which sword you have equipped. There is a Dante-style sword stab that once I'd broken his attack brought serious drama!

The sword tree is huge (found in the start menu), I just went through buying up everything it would let me, but then had to play around with the equip screen for a while until I had the three that seemed most deadly! You need to build up stamina to unlock these swords by eating different foods at the various restaurants along the way (a very nice break from all that combat).

The best thing so far is that I've managed to work out how to save me progress. LOL! The game is text heavy and looking at the description of items available in shop made me cry a little bit until I found this translation - http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/

The items are colour coded:
    Health - Green
    Special Item - Purple
    Food - Yellow
    Power ups - Blue
    which makes searching through the translation much quicker.

While the game is exclusively in Kanji with accompanying Japanese dialogue there are no lengthy cut scenes to speak of, you trigger dialogue by approaching a character and hitting A so you can take it or leave it in most cases. You get a nice interactive cut scene once you've ordered food at a restaurant however! Dipping dumplings into sauce while your character make satisfied noises for example...

The map is really nice, you can click through from having it placed in the top middle of the screen to a large view overlaying the whole screen or remove it completely. Each box on the map is an area (roughly 10 screens wide) and they are connected together by going left or right as you'd expect but also down and up paths that require the A button entry (at a bridge for instance that branches down to the bottom of the screen). It has a real old school feel to it which compliments the scrolling 2D nature of the game. It kind of makes it feel dungeony, plus there is a really stunning world map that pops up when you travel to a new area and you can also request to be carried by two characters to certain parts of the map. Plus there is an item that will allow you to jump back to the last save portal. Knowing which part of the map to aim for is always obvious due to a flashing gold symbol so I've yet to get lost or frustrated despite coming up against a few impassable barriers.

So a little bit of effort and patience is certainly paying off as I'm completely in love with this wonderful game.

Odin's Sphere, despite being beautiful, didn't quite click with me, the combat was a bit too frustrating and the levelling up mechanisms a bit too much of a bother.

How does the levelling up work out in this? Is it 50% eating food for health, 50% collecting orbs for attack power?

Comment

Sounds like they have tweaked the combat as a response to Odin then as it really is a joy once you adjust to the fast pace imo.

From what I can tell so far health levels up during combat, you level up your weapons through eating, you regain sword strength through the green orbs you collect and you can also level up power and stamina through items bought from traders. I've not really worried about that side of it yet as it all seems to be coming together quite naturally.

Comment

Anyone know when this is due for release in the US & Europe ?

Comment

There's going to be an English language version shown at E3, they'll probably give solid dates then.

Comment

I hope they include the option for original Japanese voices with English subtitles.

Played some more and have had some fantastic battles with huge bosses in wonderful settings. At times its been bizarre in a Spirited Away kind of way,

fighting a giant green monster that randomly turns into a big boar with plants growing on its back for example

Loving how the enemies in the random battles are now

more like minor bosses themselves.

Last edited by spagmasterswift; 21-05-2009, 11:41.

Comment

Cant wait for this release, just love the art style

Comment

Its genuinely jaw dropping stuff, when you start to get used to the look you find yourself running through a room and suddenly notice that the background isn't a beautiful painting on a wall but sliding glass doors to an amazing landscape view. It does some things visually that I've never seen in a videogame before, that's not to say that they are unique to Oboro Muramasa just very uncommon in my experience.

Comment

Finished this of yesterday and throughly enjoyed it throughout. Gameplay wise, was very glad to see it wasn't just a straight up hack n slash game, as the battles take the place of random encounters just like in most other RPGs.

Graphically and musically, the game is breath taking, can't be described any other way. Like Madworld, plays to the strengths of the Wii's lack of any sort of HD abilities and produces something uniquely beautiful.

I liked the fact that you can't keep on spamming with one sword as it will eventually break and the customisation was very good.

Overall, one of the best games of the year I feel, as well as one of the best on the Wii ever. If I have the money later in the year I will rebuy the US version.

Comment

The makers have said that it's possible for them to release a HD version of this as all the assets were originally drawn at twice the resolution. Guess if it doesn't sell in the West they'll try it out on the PS3/360 to recoup some losses

Comment

I hope they do.

I'd love to see them bringing stuff to HD consoles. I'm sure they'd look even more breath taking than they do already.

I'd probably buy it again just to support them.

But imagine a translated port of Princess Crown on XBLA / PSN. Vanillaware need to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        The makers have said that it's possible for them to release a HD version of this as all the assets were originally drawn at twice the resolution. Guess if it doesn't sell in the West they'll try it out on the PS3/360 to recoup some losses
                        Well, I've been umm-ing and ahh-ing over buying the J-Wii version for ages now and was almost ready to take the plunge seeing as the price looks like it'll never move. Hearing this makes me think I shall wait a bit longer and see how things pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                          Well, I've been umm-ing and ahh-ing over buying the J-Wii version for ages now and was almost ready to take the plunge seeing as the price looks like it'll never move. Hearing this makes me think I shall wait a bit longer and see how things pan out.
                          ive got a copy here if you change your mind bought and then decided id rather wait and know whats going on.

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                          this and that statement marvelous made about wanting to port wii games over gets me wondering. do publishers expect too much? werent both this and arc rise fantasia number 1 sellers in japan?

Comment

Thread bump for the US build (maybe mods can add the western title?)

First thing you notice is that there is no US dubbing whatsoever, all voices are in Japanese and if you played Odin Sphere you'll recognize a couple of them (like Momohime/Gwendolin); there are a couple of other famous voice actors but so far their contribute is pretty limited, but at least the voices are on par with the graphics.
                            Some Japanese text has been left untranslated/un-subtitled, like the kanjis in the menu section...I can understand that placing text somewhere could have ruined the screen layout, but leaving untranslated bits here and there make your work look sloppy.
                            Translation and adaptation sound decent enough, in the beginning you are hammered with names and terms and can be hard to follow the story. FYI I'm laying with Momohime...seeing her story on the right I thought it would have made more sense, just to realize that Japanese read from right to left and probably the menus have been left as they originally were, so starting with Kisuke could be better.

The story in Muramasa is told with short cutscenes using the game engine, much like Odin Sphere but the progression is a bit slower, probably because you are given more freedom in stages and talking parts are less than Vanillaware's previous scrolling beat'em'up.

Like any other Vanillaware production the graphics are gorgeous and look brilliant in 16:9; compared to Odin Sphere sprites are smaller and there seem to be less extra animations (like characters looking around the area); so far I haven't encountered any slowdowns and loading times are pratically non-existent.
                            I fair trade off if you ask me, the game still boasts beautiful backdrops and sprites with a lot of minor animations and excellent style, plus there are more environmental lights than in previous games.
                            Just like Odin Sphere (and Grim Grimoire and Princess Crown) backgrounds and enemies tend to repeat themselves fairly often though.

I knew that Muramasa ditched the fatigue bar used in PC and OS and I was curious to test if this would prove an improvement or a simplification for the masses; with just a couple of hours under the belt I can't really tell, but at the first difficulty setting, Muso, the difference between katanas and no-dachis is almost irrelevant and the game feels little more than a button masher; the second boss did introduce few tactical elements, but it's nothing that a couple of healing items could solve.
                            The flow of the game and combat feels better than Odin Sphere, however. The absence of slow downs is especially good, though the map reveals too many things before you discover them, like hidden items...they are already easy to spot, point them on the map is a bit too much.
                            Even in the first hours the game allows you to backtrack a little to acquire extra money and experience, I just hope that bigger maps won't be too tedious to navigate once you are at a much higher level than the first time you visited them.

As a final note, controls are excellent, even without the ability to remap them. I'm using the Hori fighting stick to play, so no control over walking or running (just running) and it's highly probable to overshoot or stop too far away from characters you want to talk to, but I think jumping is much more natural, as it is mapped to up instead of a button.

First impressions are favorable, let's hope evertyhing will keep up as the game progresses.

Comment

i am really looking forward to this when it is out in the uk i am going to say this is the game that will make me play my WII again

Comment

Working...
                              X