Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtua Tennis 2009 [Xbox 360/PS3/Wii]

One word sums this up - rehash.

Pretty much describes to a tee what 2009 is, compared to Virtua Tennis 3.
    I liked VT3 (though VT2 on the Dreamcast still gets my vote as best Virtua Tennis)

However, there seems to be quite a lot been re-used from VT3, in terms of animation of the superstars. Apart from the removal of the dive, which has been substituted for this 'stumble step' animation. There doesn't seem to be that much new.
    It even uses the same sound effect when you press start to enter the game.

Visual differences are mainly bloom lighting and extra vasaline applied to the current players.

Gameplay-wise, it is pretty much similar to VT3 with some slight differences i've noticed.
    The serving is more sensitive to movement, so you've got to apply less direction mid-serve, or else you'll overshoot the mark.

Also, the volleying seems to be more punchier than VT3 thank goodness.

Player roster wise, i'm disappointed that Hewitt didn't make the cut, or that there's no serve and volley players (unless you count the unlockable characters) as most of the default players are baseliners.
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 28-05-2009, 22:01.

I picked this up on the weekend but I'll be returning this to Blockbusters soon. Like you mention Jim, the game is good, but it's so similar to VT3 that you may as well buy the previous one for £10 rather than spend £40 for basically the same game.

The only reasons as to why you should pick this up:

If you haven't played VT3 you'll enjoy this.
    A few more players like Andy Murray etc.
    Shadows of clouds appear over the court which is just a nice little touch
    Slightly improved career mode
    Slightly improved gameplay in terms of Serving, volleying.

Comment

I bought this too. EA have in the past have been accused of doing 'lazy' updates to their franchises but they can't hold a candle to this.

Other than the new 'stumble' animation the only changes I can see are a) a few new players, b) even uglier user created characters (think Resi only more deformed), c) an even more protracted and tedious world tour mode and d) some of the most uninspired and dull mini games going (the old ones are ok the new ones are meh)....if it didn't say 2009 on the box I could have sworn this was the same game I played 2-3 years ago.

Whilst the core gameplay is just as good as it always was this has to be one of the most pointless releases ever. I flogged mine and picked up VT3 again (£7.99 @ hmv.com). Do I regret it? Not in the slightest and I had cash leftover to buy Killzone 2.
      Last edited by tom-nook; 09-06-2009, 14:08.

Comment

Patch has just gone up 130mb

I only bought this one for online on PS3 dont care about out else will do me

Comment

wii version will be the best with the motion plus controls , also grand slam tennis wii is out this week, anyone picking up either?

Comment

At least Virtua Tennis 2009 was released in the tennis season around the grand slams unlike VT3. Much better timing if Sega intended to make a profit.

Comment

I think alot if it depends on what you had VT3 on. IF you had it on PS3 then this ones the way to go to actually get online play lol

Comment

I've been playing this quite a bit. I pretty much agree with everything already said - it's still the same fun-VT gameplay but it just doesn't feel much different to VT3. One thing that does bug me is you can only play ranked online matches with your created character which means every game I've played I've had my a** handed to me by people who've just trained their characters to the max whereas I've not bothered too much with mine. It means no matter what my skill level is compared to the other person they can hammer me.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                  wii version will be the best with the motion plus controls , also grand slam tennis wii is out this week, anyone picking up either?
                  Based on what? First hand experience with finished code or pure conjecture?

Comment

Yeah, the Wii version will probably be crap. As fun as Wii sports tennis is, the control on it is gash and you don't have any control over the direction of the ball when you "hit" it with the remote sensors.

I can't see VT09 or Grand Salm being any different as there are just too many shots and strokes for the remote to be effective. I hope i'm wrong as i would buy it in a shot, but i doubt it. Tennis is a pad game for now.

Comment

Maybe the new Wii Motion plus will enable a higher level of precision in your swings, which will allow you more control of your hits.

VT3 isn't bundled with the motion plus, but that other tennis game coming out this week has it as far as i'm aware.

Comment

Does anyone know if VT3 still gets a lot of players online? If so I may consider picking up that again for cheap rather than paying the full price for VT2009.

Comment

I'm not sure but I guarantee the number of people playing will shoot up over the next few weeks with Wimbledon on

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                            Does anyone know if VT3 still gets a lot of players online? If so I may consider picking up that again for cheap rather than paying the full price for VT2009.
                            Not really.

Funnily enough a week before VT2009 i played some VT3 (just to get back into the groove of things) and pratically there was really no one for player matches. And the ranked matches weren't particulary busy either.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
                              Not really.

Funnily enough a week before VT2009 i played some VT3 (just to get back into the groove of things) and pratically there was really no one for player matches. And the ranked matches weren't particulary busy either.
                              Shame to hear. Looks like I may have to stick with the ?40 VT2009 then.

Comment

Working...
                              X