EA Sports Active (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Sports Active (Wii)

My girlfriend got this last week and we've both started 30 day workouts. I have to say, we are enjoying this far more than Wii Fit.

You create your avatar, tell it your age, your weight, and then off you go.

I think what makes it better is that it's all laid out fot you to get stuck into i.e each day will give you a workout featuring numerous event. So far, I keep seeing the odd new fun events being introduced each day amongst the usual lunges, curls, jumping and running. Events such as punch bag, tennis, basketball.

Also, I don't need to get on the Balance board (although you can use it). The game is boxed with a leg holster for the nunchuk and a resistence band that you use for curls and all other upper-body excercise.

Every two or so days you get a rest day too, which is nice as this thing give you a real workout... well my and the gf a breaking sweats anyway.

It tots all your hours up in a journal which creates goals for you. You can tell your journal the type of food you've been eating and any additional exercise activies (football, for example - which I do extra) and it'll take it all in and tot them up too. Oh and the game features trophies to achieve.

I highly recommend it if you got board of Wii Fit and still want to get rid of that beer/gaming/office belly you may be nurchering.

Some fella's review which includes some decent footage.
    Last edited by hudson; 19-06-2009, 12:46.

I'm interested in getting this.
    What's the resistance like for blokes? I know you can buy (stronger) replacement ones.
    I don't have a balance board, what would i miss out on without it?

Thanks.

Comment

The balance board changes some of the games, for example :

Skateboarding, where you jump obstacles...with the balance board becomes roller-skating, where you lift a leg to clear obstacles on either side. I prefer the skateboarding, my wife prefers the roller-skating.

Boxing, is just boxing, left-right...cross left-right. With the balance board you get to do kicks and knees as well.

You won't be missing out, as each time the board is in use it says "Balance Board Exclusive" which means they basically add support to that mode.

I think the resistance band is of very low quality personally, even my wife thinks it's not resistant enough.

Personally, we both rate it over Wii Fit already.

Comment

The resistence band does its job well. Don't think of it as a tool to emulate weight lifting. I think the idea is to have enough resistence, at least something to go against when doing the curls and stuff. Works well.

You don't need the balance board. You won't miss anything.

Comment

Hools, those resistance bands come in different strengths, I think they've bundled the lightest one possible, that's all I'm saying! It does the job I agree, I'd (and so would me wife) just prefer a higher strength one.

Comment

Yeah, it does the job and yeah, if you're looking for something a bit more buff, get on ebay. They must be about 20p, no?

Comment

20p in money sure, but the cost of using the stock one is epic to your manliness Hools, me ol' Torres fancier.

Comment

I bought it and had to trade it in, came down wrong on my ankle one day and I nearly broke it

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                  I bought it and had to trade it in, came down wrong on my ankle one day and I nearly broke it
                  I apologize, but I chuckled. Were you doing the roller blade jumps?

Comment

Apologies here also Mike, I lolled at the image of a grown man landing on the side of his ankle, screaming in pain then saying "That's f*cking going back".

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                      screaming in pain then saying "That's f*cking going back".
                      haha

Comment

Anyone still doing this?
                        Mine's turned up today, thinking of ordering one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRONG-RESISTANCE-EXERCISE-BAND-TUBE-TUBING-HANDLES_W0QQitemZ170323809190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27a81713a6&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1 688|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50 to give myself a bit more of a challenge.
                        Anyone tried any other replacement bands or use wrist weights?

Comment

Working...
                        X