Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits

Had a good few hours on this today. No need to explain the gameplay, but for those that have been under a rock for a while this is a compilation of selected tracks from Guitar Heros 1,2,3, 80's and one tune from the Aerosmith edition. 48 tracks is what you get for your buck, all with support for Drum, Guitar, Bass and Vocals. If you don't like Guitar Hero games this one isn't going to change your mind. For the rest of us it's business as usual.

The game also sports the Expert + difficulty for drums as first seen in the Metallica game, which you can use a second drum pedal for. Also taken from the Metallica edition is the use of stars earned to unlock new venues and music, as oppose to the old way of playing a pre determined number of songs.

Annoyingly you cannot use your downloadable content in this game so it's a stand alone effort with only the DIY GH:Tunes cross compatable.

I've played a couple of songs on Guitar (hard) and a load on drums (medium). The note guitar note charts are not the same as the old versions from what I remember and all songs this time are master recordings.

The Pantera track "Cowboys From Hell" is a live version, and surprisingly it works really well. It doesn't really deviate from the master recording that much, and sounds nice and meaty. The Helmet track is also a live one, but I havn't tried that one yet.

One last point to make is the Rage Against the Machine track "Killing in the Name" still seems a puzzling inclusion, given the sweary words in it. They are just blanked out this time as oppose to the changing of the words in the cover version used in GH:2 so it does work a bit better. On vocals it will be easy enough to add swearing in to taste!
    Last edited by Skull Commander; 25-06-2009, 18:34.

I've borrowed the GH:WT instruments and I've been playing GH:Metallica.

I've just finished the vocal career, but I seemed to only get 3 stars on most songs with a chain of 3 as my max!

Where am I going wrong? I caned the Mastodon track, but it's not pitch-specific. I know I'm not tone-deaf or out of tune, but I've watched all the tutorials and they're no help!

I've tried to make sure I'm at the right pitch at the end of each phrase and that seems to help, singing like Hetfield doesn't...

Comment

I don't really play vocals so I'm no use there I'm afraid.

The difficulty on hard on GH:GH doesn't seem bad until Dragonforce. I'm NEVER going to be able to do that. My best so far is about 17% then I mess up. It's stupid.

Comment

I didn't mind this, good collection of songs and nice to be able to play Dragonforce again (I managed it on hard, an amazing gaming moment that) but...and this couldbe down to musical taste, the last "setlist" on the tour is full of crap.

It starts of well and pretty much after monkey wrench goes to ****. It relies heavily (imho) on GH2, and misses even the stuff from there (Cliffs of Dover, Jessica) and even inexplicably misses "Iron Man" from GH1 in favour of "The Trooper".

I dunno, it was fun while it lasted but I think this may be the last GH game I get, I just prefer the Rock Band games by a lot. Some of the note charts in the GH games are plain odd, "Monkey Wrench" is okay, but there are sections there which have been so heavily brought forward in the mix, that you wouldn't even know they were there to listen to the track on an mp3 player etc. Some tracks have ridiculous amounts of hammering and pulling off, which just aren't how they are played in real life.

Comment

In the last set I enjoyed Cowboys from Hell, Slayer and Psychobilly Freakout. Extreme can take a run and jump and Freebird is just a dirge.

Any tips on Dragonforce on hard? I was using the slider for the first bit with moderate success then the next section wasn't too bad. After that it all went wrong...

*EDIT*

Actually I'm getting confused I think. Pantera is the second last and Ozzy is in the last. Still, I enjoy that too :P
          Last edited by Skull Commander; 29-06-2009, 11:29.

Comment

I found this very disappointing, was going to post a thread a couple of days back but wanted to give it more time.

The Wii version feels very incomplete in areas and note charts that far from follow the music. I guess this is do to the high churn rate of new GH titles the quality is starting to take a huge hit

Comment

The amount of titles shouldn't affect the quality as this wasn't neversoft who worked on this version.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                In the last set I enjoyed Cowboys from Hell, Slayer and Psychobilly Freakout. Extreme can take a run and jump and Freebird is just a dirge.

Any tips on Dragonforce on hard? I was using the slider for the first bit with moderate success then the next section wasn't too bad. After that it all went wrong...
                Tips? Don't use the slider. Use the normal button, the slider (over time) for me has become useless, it's nearly impossible to get from the slider to the normal buttons between sections, especially on expert, without dropping a note or three! If you cock up one of the the heavy hammering sections, don't forget to use the strum bar to get back into it or else you are hitting notes that won't register. Don't be afraid to overstrum as well, so long as you hit the notes, you won't fail out.

If you are really really struggling still, do everything you can to just get one blast of star power in the bank, that should see you through any really tricky sections.

The funny thing is that I find it quite easy to pass on hard now, but I can't get past 1% on expert!

I loathe Slayer btw, purely for raining blood on hard on GH2/3 (whichever it is) which I never beat. I think I could do it now, since I play mostly on expert and get 5 stars, but I went for hard on this game because I knew it had some of the GH2 songs on it, which is back when GH was actually pretty damn hard!

Originally posted by The Mole View Post
                ...and note charts that far from follow the music.
                This is something I feel is happening more and more often in the GH games, I don't know why, but I remember Knights of Cydonia being particularly awful in places for accuracy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post

This is something I feel is happening more and more often in the GH games, I don't know why, but I remember Knights of Cydonia being particularly awful in places for accuracy!

That will be because GH3 onwards were charted by Neversoft who chart more like a game pattern than a musical pattern, GH1,2,80's were all Harmonix charting which is charted pretty similar to tablature (or seems to be to me anyway)

GH:GH was recharted by neversoft which is why its pretty different and is not the same as GH1, 2 or 80's

Comment

Knights of Cydonia felt strange playing the synth part during the "no one's gonna take me alive" bit in GHIII, but it also seemed a bit daft in RB1 to be playing record scratches in the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage".

Comment

Now I love any and all GH/RB games, so I'm unlikely to have a bad word to say about this, but here are my thoughts ....

I've only played about 20 songs so far, and I don't see anything worth complaining about, but then again, I only paid 25 quid for mine ... dunno if it's worth £40+ if you've played all three of the previous main GH games.

The note charting is a bit different from what you'd expect if you've played the earlier games, and I see a lot of whinging about that, but of course, if they'd stayed the same, people would moan about them getting money for old rope. Such is how the internet works. Bear in mind that these "new" versions of the songs take into account some of the new gameplay mechanics that have been introduced since GH3 ... other instruments, open notes, tapping, them infuriating "held notes plus strums", etc.

It seems they just want to bring everything in-line with these current mechanics. From GH5 onwards, presumably they'll call a halt to the new tech and just stick to producing more songs. We'll see ...

Speaking of which, I noticed on the back of the manual, there's a "unique owner ID" code. Thinking that this is probably for the GH5 promise of "export all your songs to HDD", I checked GHWT and GHM, and lo and behold, they've got codes on the back of the manuals too. So I reckon this must be how they're gonna implement it.

which is charted pretty similar to tablature
                      Get real!

Comment

I don't think it's whinging to say the charts don't feel right mate.

I play guitar and some of these songs just don't feel as they should.

Comment

I agree i no longer feel like i am playing the songs, just pressing buttons to the music. Even though the song list (for me) is very strong, this may just turn out to be the worst game in the series so far.

Comment

Got this yesterday (360), and I feel pretty much the same as Peev (also paid 25 quid on amazon).

I dont' care that it's old tracks, I love it and so does the missus - it's definately one for the more hardcore GH fan (bearing in mind I have all the tracks/games). However it's definately not another GH80's (thank god).

I need a GHWT drum kit now.

By the way, I downloaded the super mario theme and Zelda themes from GHTunes - didn't play them but it was pretty cool what the chap had done.

Comment

Working...
                            X