Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil

My mate got a promo review copy of this through earlier and been messing around it with it for the past 20 minutes or so.

First impressions: Well unless the final game (which I think this is!?) includes a widescreen mode it's exactly the same as the GC version, which is pretty disappointing. It's 4:3, but does seem to be in 480p at least.

The new control scheme of which only two are actually 'new' in terms of using the Wii remote seem fairly poorly implemented. I haven't tried the final Wii control system (labelled 'D' in the menu), but 'C' is just, well, odd. You essentially use the Wii remote to point or holster your gun, but rather strangely not to control its direction up or down, instead that's mapped to the nunchuk. So those used to Resident Evil 4's intuitive system have to re-learn the controls. Even the knife is mapped to a button! Which I thought was pretty poor.

In short it's essentially, judging by the short time I've played it, the same as the GC version with slightly more awkward controls. Obviously (perhaps) the controls were never going to be as smooth as RE4, but it seems as though Capcom simply couldn't be bothered to do anything more appropriate with them for this version. Using the more traditional control system i.e the nunchuck to move and the remote to aim/fire with the B/A buttons respectively, seems to be the best method, but is still a little lacking - mainly due to the tank-like controls being more suited to a traditional two-handed pad rather than the slightly 'looser' feel of the nunchuk.

Overall it's still a cracking little game, but it does feel a bit dated and Capcom/Nintendo have really done nothing to give this yet another lick of paint - which arguably they could have done.
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 26-06-2009, 18:21.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

I doubt they'd have added a widescreen mode considering the pre-rendered backgrounds. God forbid they should pull a stunt and just crop the top and bottom of the screen though

Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking about getting this but maybe the best thing would be to just get the old GC version and play that on my Wii.

So does it feel like just a case of them just shoehorning a Wii control scheme in to make some money?

Comment

I thought this was meant to be a double pack with RE0.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
        So does it feel like just a case of them just shoehorning a Wii control scheme in to make some money?
        Sounds like it, exactly why RE4/RE0 came out too.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
          Sounds like it, exactly why RE4/RE0 came out too.
          Wii controls were hardly shoehorned into RE 4. The Wii controls were an improvement over the Cube/PS2 controls which makes it the definitive version.

Comment

I really don't agree, I have tried them a couple of times and always reverted back to the pad. I didn't mind it but the video did seem a little stretched compared to the GC version too. its like they just stretched it out to make it full screen. Was a good romp though.

God I love REmake.

Comment

Working...
            X