Trine pc/psn (360?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trine pc/psn (360?)

Is anyone else playing the full game? The demo was excellent, but the full release expands on everything it did right and is damn near the perfect game for me. If you like 2d platform/action games, messing around with physics, and a fantasy setting, this is as good as it gets.

Got this t'other day and haven't stopped playing it. Its absolutely brilliant. I never saw the demo so just plumped for the full game.

I have to say, it kind of remids me of Demons Souls in style crossed with Simon the Sorcerer, lol. The engine is fantastic and some of the puzzles are ingenious. Its this years Braid.
    The character swapping to get past certain areas/puzzles is superbly implemented with each character having specific talents required to get past certain obstacles and enemies etc.

One thing tho, it is very intensive at high resolutions. I updated my GPU and Phys-x drivers and it still chopped until i dropped it down a good few notches.

Comment

Does anyone know if this is coming out on the PS3 anytime soon? becuase if not I might have to go for the PC version myself.

Comment

It's "coming soon". Was due in July but they found a "last minute bug" that they had to fix. It's currently finished and with Sony.

Comment

Bump for finally out on PSN. I shrugged, paid the sixteen pounds and got stuck in and... well, I like it quite a bit so far, though it is over-priced and it is sadly obvious it's from a small developer without the manpower or funds to polish it that little bit more. It's a very entertaining little old-school platformer; the multi-character thing doesn't work as well as it should, at least not in singleplayer (far too many points I'm finding it easier to just die and go back to the last checkpoint) and the rough edges are clearly obvious (graphical glitches, physics aren't that great). I could have done without the twee fantasy setting, too. Graphics are pretty accomplished despite the flaws but the voiceovers and some of the design is a little grating...

But it's fun to play, feels great to experiment - can I get up there, can I build this to block that, etc., etc. - and the combat is quite entertaining for a simple three-hit combo with added blocking. Only a few levels in but I don't regret being fleeced of a few extra quid so far.

Comment

Been playing this myself. Not as smooth or as preety as its pc counterpart, but still a stunning game. The music is beautiful, anyone know if it was released for purchase?

Comment

Yep, unlike many of the recent soundtracks it's not free but can be downloaded from the official site. I do like the music and I was a fan of the SuperStardust HD soundtrack from the same feller.

Comment

Ah, there we go! There's the evidence this was made by an incompetent team of Euro amateurs. Christ, **** that last level. No, no, no-one gets to argue. You do not ever get to design a game where you practically stick a neon sign in saying 'Hmmm... our game really was fairly easy up until this point, wasn't it? Hey, I know! Try this on for size!' It's lazy, unprofessional, sadistic bull**** and it shows up every flaw in the gameplay as if under a microscope - once the Thief's dead it's easier by far to just kill the other two off and start again. That is a fact - played well, she can instantly save herself from dying whereas the other two have no such power. Turning the game into Manic Miner puts that into very, very sharp relief.

God this is annoying, and no, not in a good way. I hate it when people drop the ball like this. Hate it. I'll give it a few more tries, but no, beating it does not magically make these flaws go away, just because you're good enough to do it first time no problems does not make these flaws go away and if I don't clock this sooner rather than later it's getting deleted and I'll just chalk the money up to a learning experience. >_<

Anyway, carry on.

Comment

I've been playing the game on Hard. I heard that the last level was a bit of a bitch so I hoped playing on Hard would ease me into it... but if it's platform related I guess that won't make much difference. >_<

Comment

I gave up and deleted it. Simply not fun, and I'm not buying anything else from Frozenbyte without a demo attached and some positive word of mouth. Spoilers if anyone's that bothered -

you have to scale a vertical level while lava rises very, very fast from the bottom of the screen and an enemy - I assume it's the final boss - is constantly dropping obstacles in your path that block your way, fall down the arc of your jump just as you're jumping, spin or break or move platforms just as you were about to land on them, etc., etc. No checkpoints; or at least not for several screens' worth of play. Ten second loading times. Two of the three characters are nigh-on useless (the wizard needs steady ground and time to effectively pull off his magic and the knight can't attack from a distance so he can't break obstacles as quickly or reliably as the thief, plus his increased weight makes jumping much harder).

Objects do not behave the same way every time - they fall differently, or debris can throw off your jumps one play through then not on the next, or platforms can spin differently, and while that's not neccessarily bad by itself, obviously, when the slightest mistake pretty much means instant death it's really not on. It is, or was, hideously frustrating and one of the biggest difficulty spikes I've ever seen. In the regular levels the game's fairly easy when you have no time limit, plenty of checkpoints and freedom to experiment, but setting up a level like that out of nowhere just shows up every little fault with the mechanics. Before hitting the last level I'd have said Edge underrated it... you, well, can guess what I'm feeling now.

Even just tweaking the loading times or

making the lava rise much slower

would have been an improvement. Speed it up on harder difficulties or something! There is no warning or difficulty curve to indicate the game's going to throw any such thing at you, and regardless of how easy better players than me find it, it's a horrible, horrible piece of game design.
                    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 21-09-2009, 15:16.

Comment

Agree about the physics. I hate the way that you can't throw objects as the wizard (When you release the object behaves as if you'd dropped it in there without any momentum). I'm still really enjoying it at the moment though, up to the Ruins of <something-or-other>.

Comment

Just did the final level Eight Rooks - you're bang on about it, it's a ****ing joke in comparison to the rest of the game. I did manage to get through it, but there's a HUGE element of luck involved with the objects spawning often mid jump.

If I get wind of any future projects including a level like that I won't touch the game at all.

I thought you could start over with all of your items, apparently not. Started a new game (Very Hard) on my other save and all of my experience and items are gone. Yay!

Needs more polish as a package.

Comment

I downloaded Trine on the day it was available on the PlayStation store however, other (out going) commitments stopped me from playing it for at least a week.

I finally completed the game yesterday evening and I must have been playing a slightly different game to Eight Rooks and Number45 as I managed to complete the last area/chapter on my third go on the medium difficulty.

I do understand what Eight Rooks means by 'as soon as the thief is dead, you may as well start the chapter over again' but by using the thief's fire-arrow, you can easily break the objects the rather random baddie (who happens to appear completely out of the blue) creates and drops to slow your progress down.

Oh, the pace of the lava changes as you adjust the difficulty level, or at least I think it does.

The real problem is that the game is relatively smooth sailing all the way up to the last chapter, which is a rather abrupt increase in the difficulty; a difficulty spike as some would say.

The story is very forgettable (by the end, I forgot how the story even started), the physics are questionable at times and the character-swapping idea is not as well realised or executed as it could have been yet the experience itself remains to be a joy to play through.

I bathed myself into the game so much that I managed to collect all of the experience on every chapter - from both the enemies and levels - as well as opening each treasure chest along the way. Once I had completed the game, I looked up my trophy progress which shows a 75% status.

I think I will leave the game alone for now and come back to it with a misty mind sometime next year and hopefully recapture the same feelings I had with the game as I did during the past few days.

I do think the game is ever so slightly overpriced though considering you can buy the retail version for ?10.99 on Amazon; a pound more than that would be more welcoming just like WipEout HD was when it was released around this time last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
                            I finally completed the game yesterday evening and I must have been playing a slightly different game to Eight Rooks and Number45 as I managed to complete the last area/chapter on my third go on the medium difficulty.
                            I used the thief's friggin' arrows. Tried them every one of the twenty, thirty times in a row I failed that damn level. Um, no offence, but perhaps you're just that good, eh? I'm sure you're just trying to be nice about it but it really bugs me when people genuinely seem to assume 'well, I sailed straight through it, so they must have no idea what they're talking about'. At least you admit it's a difficulty spike.

Comment

If it's any help, it didn't take me any more than six or seven attempts at that level, it's just a horrible, unnecessary and lazy (Let's face it, it's easier to create a poorly designed level then put the player under pressure to create challenge than it is to just design a challenging level in line with the rest of the game) finish to an otherwise wonderful game!

I've found all of the experience/secrets in the game now. Just need to play through on Very Hard and "just" finish the Tower without dying on that difficulty to get the platinum. Let's see how I get on!

EDIT: Also, I think the difficulty level impacts the speed of the lava.

Comment

Working...
                              X