Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashes Cricket (360 & PS3) Demo

this just gone up at about 600mb

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, its utterly terrible and if memory serves far worse than the last Brian Lara

it made us play on a horrible cloudy overcast day where you could hardly see the ball (an idea, why not default the demo to bright sun and make it look nice ?)

feels awfully stiff to play and seems to run at about 20fps, we even noticed slow down in the toss !

it gave us a 3 over game and bowling, batting and fielding all felt without exception awful to play.

screen design is cluttered, mo-cap looks like something from the PS1 era

was really looking forward to this as like bit of a cricket, this though is an avoid at any cost for me.

way I'd like to see cricket games go is maybe a Bigs style 20:20 arcade game, would be quite good fun.

But ... we're winning!

I seem to remember in the Brian Lara demo, every time you went on a run, the fielder returned the ball to the wicketkeeper, and even if you were well in, he took the bails off.

Is there anything that heinous and annoying in this demo?

Comment

Oh man I'm gutted to read these impressions!

Comment

I don't think the demo was that bad , and its still a demo (that seems from early code )
        Its already better than the last cricket game onthe 360 .
        That said , its a million miles off, the quite brilliant Lara 96 on the MD 9still the best imo), and the very good PS Lara game .

Comment

as you can tell I'm pretty disappointed in this

had another go and not changed my view at all, its a total clunky mess and has either been rushed out to cash in on the Ashes before its finished or the dev is jus not up to it

it has all the hallmarks of a low end budget release and when software of this quality gets released on the Wii people bury it.

I accept it demo code but even allowing for a bit of potential polish this will still be totally terrible

Comment

I'm never convinced cricket can work as a videogame, maybe if you made it non-stop cricket it could be fun.

Comment

Played this a couple of times now and yeah this is quite poor. Batting is a bit random, you can never tell if your timing your shots correctly. Bowling is the same, there doesn't seem to be any actual in-game differentiation between the different types of deliveries.

Graphically it is just pure awful in places. Everything just looks dull and lifeless, especially the players themselves.

I was thinking about buying this but I think I will pass on it based on the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                But ... we're winning!

I seem to remember in the Brian Lara demo, every time you went on a run, the fielder returned the ball to the wicketkeeper, and even if you were well in, he took the bails off.

Is there anything that heinous and annoying in this demo?
                Seems to go to the third umpire when even a blind man could tell you were in.

Its hard to judge batting strokes...I was looking forward to this and the demo leaves me cold. I've played it a fair few times now..

Comment

This has kind of grown on me, however, it is very hard to pull off shots, that may not be an entirely bad thing, but timing is key, and I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I've managed some beautiful front foot cover drives (rather than use auto) back foot hooks and the Graham Thorpe Pull special...he was the master IMO.

I wish it was a 5 over demo...the minimum required in a 20-20 game!

I also think the graphics look quite decent..

I'm just not sure how much build is the final game..I mean..its only a few weeks off release...

EDIT and a forward defensive is always elegant
                  Last edited by ShadowDancer; 29-07-2009, 09:24. Reason: Foward defensive.

Comment

its ok certanlly not terrible, i hope the final release will be better,,, ive got my eye on the wii version , anyone know if that has online play?

Comment

8.2 From IGN....cant be all bad then

Comment

got mine coming tomorrow cant wait to win the ashes back just like we will in real life

Comment

Working...
                        X