NHL 2010 (Multi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHL 2010 (Multi)

I downloaded the demo off XBL to see if there was any hope for this series after last year's brilliant edition was ruined by the most hateful, fun-crushing patch in the history of the world.

Tentatively playing the Be A Pro mode, I'm pleased to say that it seems a lot better than the game EA ruined.

The menu follows the same route as 2009, with smooth navigation. Visuals seem pretty much identical to last year's edition. Be A Pro mode starts you off as a prospect before the draft. The blab explains that you're currently ranked 15th on the draft list, and you have one game to impress the scouts. You then get to play the Prospects game as a North American Junior against the World Prospects. You get to play period 3 of a game in the traditional Be A Pro mould - as a player in a set position. Pleasingly, you don't get shoved to the bench and there's no stamina meter in this demo, which means you're on the ice the whole time.

If you're a wuss like me then there's the options to set the controls to the classic option during the game itself.

Onto the gameplay - the game retains it's excellent physics model and interpretation of inertia. The main bone of contention after the patch in 09 - the checking - seems far less punished. I must have laid 5 hits off the puck and none got punished by the officials. They weren't bad illegal hits, just a split second after the puck had gone - bread and butter hits in the real game. In the old game, after the patch, these would be called, but they weren't here. Superbly, if you skate around checking people after the whistle has blown, the CPU retaliates. I cross checked some bloke in the face and he slashed my legs. Two of his team mates came towards me so I skated away. My teammates started pushing and shoving other blokes, until the whole screen was full of argy bargy. One of my teammates got a roughing penalty, but that was it. The officials skate up the incidents and watch them to see if there's anything beyond the typical pushing and shoving going on.

I managed to call one fight and I'm not sure about it yet. The game enters some weird first person mode, involving tugging shirts, jabs and uppercuts. I'll have to explore that a little more I think.

I rounded off the game setting up both goals in a 2-1 win, playing as a rushing D. Afterwards I got drafted first by Philadelphia and the demo ended.

Very promising, off for another go now.

Edit: lol, checked so much after the whistle that someone called a fight and I got proper lamped.

Second edit: Hmm been called for a few more penalties now. Need to keep an eye on this.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 02-05-2010, 17:16.

WHAT the FOOK???

Playing the Be A Pro mode (HEY HEY, It's not like EA to screw that up in a sports game!!!)

Playing as an offensive D man.
    Got drafted by ****ty Carolina.
    Got told I had 4 games to impress.
    I'm on the 3rd line defensive pairing. - i.e., the worst partner.

These are my stats:

Games 4
    Goals 3
    Assists 3
    Points 6
    PIMs 11
    +/- 9

TOP scorer on the team
    MOST hits
    TOP scoring D-man in the league
    Overall rating of A

The team is SECOND in the Eastern Conference and has a 3-1 record.

Guess who gets sent down to the minors??

****, ****, **** programming - it looks to me that even if I had 10+23 in 4 games I'd still get sent down. It's a pisspoor illusion of freedom, when the game's path is clearly pre-set, and a ridiculous stab at reality. No team would ever send down their top scorer after 4 very productive games.

Screw you EA. Your games reek of ****.

Comment

I have to agree. EA offer all these cool modes and hardly any of them work properly. At least they have finally got form correct in the World Cup game.

Comment

Yeah.

If they insist on giving you a taste of the BIG LEAGUE, BABY!, then at least keep a player there if they deserve it.

I'd actually thought they might have sorted some of the problems of Pro mode out. Last year's game always punished fighting, even if you called a fight at the perfect time and your team scored afterwards. This year's game actually said, 'well done for trying to spark the team' when I fought, which is better and more realistic.

But I'd love to know what stats and perf rating I'd have to get to stay in the league. Which the rotten ability stats you get as a starting player - barn door shooting and weak checking - I really couldn't do any better than 6 points and an A grade overall.

At least last year's game started you in the minors and you earnt a call up. I remember I got 16 points in 12 games or something. This time round I feel like I've been given a shot at the Big Time straight away, grabbed it with both hands, then been kicked in the bollox for no particular reason. It's ludicrous, no rookie in real life would be sent down when the team's top scorer.

Damn you EA, Albany don't deserve me.

Comment

lol, I was put on Albany's third line. Brilliant. Another reality bypass.

Comment

It is about time EA sorted out their whole infrastructure, online and offline. So many errors in their sports games it is untrue.
            Remember all the problems with Fifa 09 crashing manager mode seasons after a year or so? Also I heard the same thing affected NHL 09.

Come one EA.

Comment

It's such a shame because they get the little, cosmetic things right, but the big things wrong. I had a fight one game, and got hammered. The next game, I had a black eye. Great touch. But the overarching structure of Be A Pro is dire.

Comment

I have just started on the be a pro mode on this and although I think it's really good so far and far more involving that the Fifa equivalent, I too get mixed messages from the 'coach'.

I had a fight on the ice and it said it was good that I was defending my team, but after the first period I got told I shouldn't have, then later I was told again it was fine!

I have just been promoted to the 2nd line of the Portland Pirates, so hopefully I'm not going to get thrown unfairly back the way if I keep my standards up.

Comment

Working...
                X