Gran Turismo - PSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gran Turismo - PSP

I imported a launch PSP at the cost of over ?300 mostly on the back of 'that' mockup of GT running on a PSP. Finally after, what, 4 years, it arrives.

Bit of an Xmas morning feeling slipping the game in. I've only had an hour on it so forgive the sparse details.

You start out with 100k, I did a single player race in the 206 you get in your garage. Yup, it's GT, feels a little bit on rails but probably due to the sterile car you are driving (this is confirmed later on). Easy race and came 1st, not really a challenge but a gentle introduction. The replay functions are all there at the end of the race.

Had a look at the cars available. Only certain marques are available each 'game day', I'm up to day 3 or 4. Plenty of variety, good mix between exotics and forecourt fodder.

Ran through some of the driving challenges (A(braking) & B(easy cornering)). Virtually the same as those in GT, probably more challenging given the nature of steering with the nub.

Some of the challenges were with more powerful cars, this is where the feel of GT is back, handling starts to come alive. A little strange without rumble, more difficult to 'feel' the car losing it.

I'll get another session in later.

My Japanese vers came with a Mini Cooper not a 206 I wonder if each vers has different starting cars? Got this today played driver challenge which is fun like the licenses of old . I don`t mind no career mode as this is on the PSP after all and has 800 hundred cars!! I got a free Mclearen Mercedes SLR and a Corvette from Yodobashi on voucher papers you scratch off like the lottery tkts, these had codes you use in the PSN store, this was very easy and painless to do which is nice.

I hear the A.I goes up every single player race you complete plus 35 tracks which excited me a lot and nostalgia at seeing Autumn Ring . My go on Suzuka short was very good, 1st single race was very easy but I expect it to get a bit harder. Time trial was good too. Not tried Drift mode yet. Dirty Sanchez said you start with 100k this is true and I bought a Nissan Skyline GTR34 99 vspec straight off. Handling in imo is very good cars feel different, but it`s not as noticeable as in later GT titles. The handling model I think feels like maybe GT2 as opposed to GT3 or GT4. Overall I love it and it is enjoyable to see the manufacturers rotate although that maybe annoying in the future when I want a Ferrari.
    Last edited by JU!; 01-10-2009, 15:14.

Comment

Is there Toyotas in this game? There's been none so far on the ps3 version so its worrying me that they don't have the licence for them anymore. I just wanna drive the ae86 trueno!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
        Is there Toyotas in this game? There's been none so far on the ps3 version so its worrying me that they don't have the licence for them anymore. I just wanna drive the ae86 trueno!
        Yes I think so. I have seen a corolla in the rally sections, and I`m 90% I have driven an MR2 and a Supra for the drivers challenges.

Comment

Cheers JU! May have to purchase this then. Gives me hope we'll see toyotas in the final version of gt5 aswell.

Comment

No probs def a Toyota Supra here, and the Celica and Corolla rally cars. I think I spot the Trueno too.

Last edited by JU!; 01-10-2009, 16:05.

Comment

Just started playing this on my pspgo.
              And Wo! its great, I wasnt sure the nub thing would be any good but it seems pretty steady. Being able to 100% customize the controls is nice and also ala ps3 version.
              Playing with driving aids off is the way to go, manual gears all the way.
              Anyone playing this on adhoc party yet?

Comment

Disappointed with the lack of a true career option, all the races so far have been sprint to the front in 5 secs and stay there with no competition.

Ran through the first set of challenges, can see myself going abck to this section often to try and pick up as many golds as possible. Able to rack up a healthy credit total in here.

I've seen 2 F1 cars so far.........way too many credits yet!

Had a quick look at multiplayer, noone else on the train had it so can't see that getting much use for me. Shame it's adhoc only.

All the usual suspects available to buy, even Jensen and Austin Healey.

Comment

I am thinking of picking this up but i am going to wait till i hear some more thoughts on it

Comment

So far I'm enjoying this. I do miss the proper career mode but at the same time its feels more simple and better for it in one way, some of the career modes in driving games in recent years have been a real bore. What I'm loving especially is driving the original Gran Turismo tracks, they are so ingrained in my mind (mainly from my lazy student days) that I really have missed driving them, it may even sway me into thinking about a PS3 for GT5, as although I think Forza will be the better racing game, there is something familiar and enjoyable about GT.

Comment

Once you get the AI up the single races are much more entertaining. Level A is managable, S takes more than just brute force, a bit of skill is required.

I've not tweaked any settings yet, still running on standard handling, not pro. That should extend the interest when things get a little too easy.

Comment

I just played a couple of hours on this. The first thing I noticed had nothing to do with the game though. My hands are not numb! Much more comfortable that the old models. Even more so with the Official PSPgo case doubled back on itself and refastened (I'll try and post a photo to explain).

Anyway, the game is just what I expected really and is perfect for playing 5 minute chunks! I use the analog nub to steer even though I was convinced I'd have to use the d-pad.

Comment

Lack of numbness would be a very positive sign in my books. That's also got to mean it's more comfortable to hold, right?

Comment

Well, I need to try a few more games to be sure but it seems much more comfortable so far. I'll give Resistance a go shortly.

/derailment

Comment

After playing some more I'm not quite to into it. I do like the game, it does quite a lot of things well, but at the same time its surprising that you can't buy mods for the cars, and the lack of any real direction in the game means you just randomly pick races and cars, without having any particular goal in mind. It does work well for a handheld game though, and I do like it, but it would have been nice if there were some competitions, championships etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X