Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny PSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny PSP

O.k as requested plus more links from me and other peeps below. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny really is amazing graphically first off and with Gran Turismo PSP also I`d say two of the best lookin PSP games. SC: BD is basically SC4 with no Arcade mode or story mode but it does have other good things like an extra character or two Kratos from GOW and Dan Pierre both quite fun to use. Kratos bein the better of the two imo.

SC: BD has Quick Match, Gauntlet: Amusing stories plus missions to do hit low, take out 3 people etc. Trials: Use attack or defence or endless trial get the best score you can. Plus Versus and Training. As stated by other people sometimes Trials can get a bit boring. Gaunlet is fun even if only for the comedic stories.

Where the real action is at is in Quick Match mode which is like an online type of lobby where you fight custom created characters. This is fun with characters you face being all quite different in the way they play. Not tried ad hoc mode in this yet or two player matches. There is also character creation as present in SC3 n IV. All the character moves are present, as far as I can tell and if you liked any of the SE/SC games you`ll love it. Best hand held beat em up available.

Link for extra info

Last edited by JU!; 04-10-2009, 17:34.

Finally someone stepped up to the plate Good skills that man.

Have to agree with pretty much everything JU! wrote. It looks absolutely fantastic and plays well too. I find the limitations of the PSP's D pad far less intrusive on this compared to SFA3 or Tekken.

My only gripes so far are the lack of an Arcade/Story mode and that the missions I have gone through so far in the Gauntlet mode have been fairly dull (I'll persevere in case they improve).

Comment

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I must admit I'm a little stunned by the lack of either an arcade or story mode. I would have thought that either one would have been essential, the first thing put in place.

So the character roster is the exact same as SC4, minus the SW characters (no great loss) and adding Kratos and the new guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        So the character roster is the exact same as SC4, minus the SW characters (no great loss) and adding Kratos and the new guy?
        I think it's got all of the "proper" characters - i.e. everything bar the Star Wars characters (thank God) and the "bonus" clone characters (Ashlotte etc). I haven't done a full comparison though.

Haven't come across Edge Master or Inferno yet. Not sure if they're unlockable but, IMHO, no great loss either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Thanks for the impressions, guys. I must admit I'm a little stunned by the lack of either an arcade or story mode. I would have thought that either one would have been essential, the first thing put in place.
          Must admit I found that a bit puzzling too. The Trials offer a selection of score attack and survival modes but it would have been nice to have an Arcade/Story mode. Not sure if it's because there was no arcade version of the game. Wouldn't have been too difficult to put one together though.

Comment

I'd give the gameplay, music and graphics straight 10's. I think this game fits PSP even better than it does home consoles. I find it to be a buttonbasher on the PS3, but on the PSP with its limited capabilities this gameplay is perfectly legit. Star Wars chars gone? Was a big fat plus to me.

Thats why its so damned sorry that there is no good arcade mode. If it would have everything Tekken DR has, SC would be the best fighter on the PSP. Well, bar Dissidia, but I don't know if its really fits within this genre.

The Gauntlet mode also sucked a bit imo, it would be great if it was just the DC's Mission Mode being pasted in there.

Comment

I do find it disappointing they based it on SC4, which is a pretty weak game to start with. But not even taking the (admittedly weak) story mode from that for the PSP version seems a bit poor.

Comment

Ditto all of the positive comments. I think its absolutely superb in pretty much every department and does indeed suit the PSP system. I dont think SC is a button basher though.

Consider me truely excited at the prospect of Tekken 6 PSP, Namco's next offering.

Comment

i've been thinking of buying this since i know it was coming to the psp it has geating some good reviews so i think this will be a good buy in the months to come

Comment

Well im going to say i am not a fan. As i said in the other thread to me once you get past the graphics the game is lacking a lot of the core things i expect from a beat um up. No arcade mode and a very poor story mode, dull challenges and gameplay that offers nothing new.

I was majorly let down by this.

Comment

How is the online? Does it have a decent matchmaking system and what's the lag like?

Comment

I don´t think it has an online mode.

Comment

I haven't seen an online mode. If it's in there, they don't make it obvious.

I got this yesterday and have been playing quite a bit of it. The lack of Arcade mode or Story mode is a huge disappointment and makes very little sense. The other modes don't really replace it or render it redundant. If anything, I'm having a hard time finding a mode I like. Gauntlet mode is just tutorial. Quick Play just pits me against vague clones of the people I want to play against. The other mode, divided into three, seems more like it but I'm not quite sure what the aim is.

It really seems to have needed that Story/Arcade mode to pull it all together.

But it plays just like SC4 on the bigger consoles (for better or worse - I'm not a massive fan of the direction of the series). The graphics are superb. Music fantastic as ever. A real technical achievement and still certainly fun.

I'm having to remind myself of the tweaks added in SC4. It seems every time I take a break from SC, my mind defaults back to how SC1 played on the Dreamcast. Aren't there instant kill moves in this? I remember it took a while for me to figure out how to do them on the PS3 and have no memory of what the method was.

Comment

Hang on, so no arcade mode AND no versus mode? lol is it just a character creator?

Comment

There is a versus mode but it's local ad hoc only.

Comment

Working...
                              X