Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising [360/PS3/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising [360/PS3/PC]

Only played the first mission and a bit of the second mission so far but I thought I would state my thoughts on this anyway.

First off, I am playing the PC version and it looks absolutely fantastic. I would imagine the console versions would look quite similar too. Everything about the surrounding environment looks fantastic, especially the trees and grass. The way the sunlight emerges from within the trees and shines on the grass, looks brilliant. To compliment the lush visuals there is also some top notch audio. Everything from the sound of you running through the grass to a single gunshot; it is all one big treat for the ears.

Gameplay wise, it is challenging and probably one of the most realistic shooters available at the moment. I mean I was just playing on normal (HUD on) and found it quite a challenge. Enemies are pretty clever and will spot you from quite far away, especially if you are running to your destination. Your computer controlled squad mates are pretty decent too. They will attack enemies within their range and for the most part they will "obey" any commands you give them.

Speaking of commands, the controls for the system using the mouse and keyboard are bit awkward. It is hard to explain but it is safe to say they could have been designed alot better. I actually think the controls for the commands work better with the 360 controlller (yes I tried playing with that too), not by a huge amount but better nonetheless in my opinion.

Going back to the gameplay though, the shoot-outs are just pure intense. I think Codemasters have done a great job of making the player feel like they are in the shoes of a soldier. Every encounter with the enemy feels like a mini set-piece battle. It is a combination of the weapons, visuals, sound and general atmosphere that helps create the "set-piece" feel.

I really look forward to playing more of this over the next few days, top game. The single player (based on a couple of missions) is very good but I think co-op is where this game will truly shine. I just need to wait for my mates to get this now so I can experience the game on hardcore (no HUD), I can't wait! Basically, if you like you're FPS's then get this game!

EDIT - Some shots I took from the second mission.

Last edited by ezee ryder; 07-10-2009, 21:55.

how does it compare to the original and the armed assault games ?

Comment

I haven't played the Armed Assault games so I can't comment there but in regards to how it compares to the original Operation Flashpoint....hmm....well overall I would say it is better.
      Last edited by ezee ryder; 07-10-2009, 22:08.

Comment

What spec pc are you running it on ezee? (id love to get this on pc rather than console)
        Last edited by Largo; 08-10-2009, 04:56.

Comment

I love this , its just like the original only with next gen visuals , its bloody rock though .
          All VEGAS Co-Op fans should pick this game up, my only complaint is the command menu is a bit of a pain to use, inthe heat of battle (but its not a game breaker)

Comment

Well i just done the 1st mission, PS3 version here, well as ezee said the graphics are lush, looking at the PC pics they seem better but not by much, the controls for controlling your squad seem pretty easy on the PS3 version just press R1 and it brings up a circle with commands, move,halt etc , a flick of the d-pad and off your men go , with audio to their co-ordinates, nice touch, the map on the 1st mission is huge, no easy stuff here, got to yomp to your set co-ordinates, with many paths and ways to go , full frontal assault or sneeky ambush, you decide. The AI of both your squad mates and enemies seem great, enemies will try and flank you or wait for you to get close, then counterattack, so AI is top notch even on normal difficulty (HUD on). To me this seems like the original or even the original Ghost Recon but with much better graphics and presentation. If i was thinking of a score wise it be 85/100, but think that would go up for co-op with friends, as ive only tried single player.

Comment

Thanks for the impressions guys! I think the coop element sounds perfect. GRAW had us playing for a long time, and even if only 4 players, it sounds so well suited to those of us that like to play tactical.

Do you see scope for this sort of thing:

Player 1: Find a cover spot on hill, sniper eyes on the target

Player 2: SAW position in cover slightly closer

Player 3/4: Riflemen, take the position, with SAW cover when they move, and Sniper cover/information on where the tangos are

Are you allowed to spread out like that? I find squad tactics, flanking manovers, diversions etc to be good fun and wonder if this game will allow that?

I read you had to be very close to each other in Coop, so that type of thing won't work?

Comment

Has this got online and LAN coop for the singleplayer?

Comment

4 player co-op campaign online, it has LAN but not sure how many players.
                  Also can tell squad to flank left, right , cause diversion, suppress, assault,halt, retreat, do whatever you decide, loads of tactics even formations etc, its all here and easy to do on this PS3 version IMO.
                  Last edited by MisterBubbles; 08-10-2009, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                    4 player co-op campaign online, it has LAN but not sure how many players.
                    Sold

Comment

It's about £27ish tomorrow at Asda apparantly - PS3 and 360.... anyone know which version is better? I'm leaning towards the 360 version as I'll be playing mainly online...

Comment

4 players can also do any single mission that you have completed.
                        Last edited by MisterBubbles; 08-10-2009, 11:19.

Comment

To say this game is "hard" may be somewhat of an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                            What spec pc are you running it on ezee? (id love to get this on pc rather than console)
                            Intel Pentium Quad Core E5300 2.66GHz @ 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM and a GeForce GTS 250 1024MB graphics card. Runs very smoothly too while looking fantastic.

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                            Thanks for the impressions guys! I think the coop element sounds perfect. GRAW had us playing for a long time, and even if only 4 players, it sounds so well suited to those of us that like to play tactical.

Do you see scope for this sort of thing:

Player 1: Find a cover spot on hill, sniper eyes on the target

Player 2: SAW position in cover slightly closer

Player 3/4: Riflemen, take the position, with SAW cover when they move, and Sniper cover/information on where the tangos are

Are you allowed to spread out like that? I find squad tactics, flanking manovers, diversions etc to be good fun and wonder if this game will allow that?

I read you had to be very close to each other in Coop, so that type of thing won't work?
                            Yeah I reckon those sort of tactics could be pulled off in this game to be honest. I can imagine in some missions those kind of tactics would actually be required in some capacity as the enemies are very tough.

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                            To say this game is "hard" may be somewhat of an understatement.

I would agree with that now after playing a bit more! You do really have to plan out your attacks with some precision. The A.I. team-mates are good but to get the best out of the game and make it more manageable co-op is the way to go I think.
                            Last edited by ezee ryder; 08-10-2009, 19:22.

Comment

hmm i caved and bought it on 360 for co-op with live m8s who assure me they will buy it, if it turns out assy ill get it on pc, thx ezee, i think my machine should be able to run it okish

Comment

Working...
                              X