Axel and Pixel (XBLA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel and Pixel (XBLA)

It seems to be point and click day on XBLA today, both this and Sam n Max showing that the genre is far from dead.

It's a little bit different to your standard adventure game , there is no real inventory, clicking on various pieces of scenario interacts with them, sometimes they just interact by themselves and other times Axel will walk over to them and you have to complete the puzzle by interacting with things in a very linear fasion.

That's probably my only gripe so far, the tasks you overcome are very simplistic and the lack of inventory takes the guesswork out of solving many puzzles. That and the fact that you have to wait for Axel to finish walking/interacting with what you have clicked on.

This is clearly a throwback to the style of play that the developers have knocked off from the just as simplistic and equally beautiful Flash game Samarost where technical/programming limiatoins were clearly a a big influence in the design.

Speaking of Samarost , I actually regret slightly buying this as the game truly a rip in every possible way of Samarost and paying money knowing that the guy isn't invloved makes me feel bad. I will be making sure I buy Machinarium though to make up for it

There are a few minigames included as part of the story aswell, which range from true puzzles to trials HD like stunt games.

There appear to be 24 chapters, each chapter being a screen you have to navigate through or a puzzzle

Comment

Got this when it was on sale the other week, disappointed to see such little appreciation for it here! I just played it, got the full 200/200 in a few hours, which is perfect for my attention span. It is indeed very simplistic, but that's what I like about it, it's more logical in a way. There's no hunting around for three obscure items to combine that it's completely impossible to deduce from anything suggested in game; everything just flows really nicely and makes sense.

It's funny too, and looks great in a very unusual way.

Comment

I really quite enjoyed it too I bought it back when it came out as I tried the demo and fell in love with the visual style and the characters, I felt at times there needed to be a little more direction as some of the puzzles were slightly confusing back when I played it, but overall I really liked it.

Comment

Working...
        X