A Boy and His Blob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Boy and His Blob

From the valhalla of Brutal Legend and the dark corridors of Dead Space Extraction to the joyous world of A Boy and His Blob, remake of the NES game of many years ago.

If you played the original you know how the game plays: you feed a white Blob jellybeans to solve puzzles to let you advance through the levels.
    Unlike the original, the Wii version does not feature an open world but levels with a linear progression. Each level has three treasure chests hidden and gives you a certain type of jellybeans to experiment with: so far I've been playing with blue (air baloon), green (parachute), black (ladder), orange (trampoline) and red (hole); though I've found this a bit strange in the beginning, it's probably to avoid that players will abuse a certain bean to solve all puzzles.

In the first world, progressing through the levels is very easy and the game clearly identifies most of you obstacles with signs depicting how you should proceed.
    What the game doesn't tell you is how to get treasure chests, which is completely up to the player; if you collect all three of them, you'll unlock a challenge stage with a more complex layout than the levels in the "story mode" and without any clues; they still can't be considered "hard", but they do restict your options with only two types of jellybeans. Beating these levels will unlock artwork pieces that will decorate your hideout as stones.

The hideout works as a menu. You can access the standard story levels, unlocked art galleries, challenge levels and even manage your saved data.

Something I particularly like is the total lack of on-screen texts and meters, as well as no in-game tutorial where you are instructed on each and every button and mechanic in the game, forcing the player to experiment to get things done.

More impressions soon as I continue.

It looks absolutely brilliant from what I've seen. My only worry with this is that they could have made it a bit too much of a formalized puzzle game compared to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      It looks absolutely brilliant from what I've seen. My only worry with this is that they could have made it a bit too much of a formalized puzzle game compared to the original.
      That is precisely my problem with it: it's far too puzzle-ish at the expense of the platforming elements in a way the original wasn't.

It's still fun even if fully 3/4s of the game is ridiculously easy and, even the last 1/4th isn't exactly brain-straining. (Including the challenge levels.)

Comment

What system is this on?

Comment

It's for the Wii

Comment

Although it is being released on the run up to Modern Warfare 2, it’s such a different game and on a different format, I really hope it flourishes.

I’ve heard next to nothing about the game, apart from my little brother mentioning a video he saw on Giant Bomb where you can hug a blob. However I’ve just spent the last 10 minutes of my lunch break at work, having my heart warmed by the making of video. I love that hugging the blob has no in game effect, the developer just wanted to make players feel happy.

Against my better judgment, I’ve just pre-ordered it at Play.com for only £24.99 with 6 art cards included and I don’t yet own a Wii! At only £24, I would recommend everyone doing the same too, it looks bloody wonderful and I’m now thinking about buying a Wii to go along with it!

Granted, only to press Up on the D Pad to hug the Blob, but still.

Comment

Just got the UK version and I'll echo the comments above, it really does look superb, with a gorgeous hand painted quality to the graphics. The gameplay is relaxed and slow paced to so far, hopefully that won't chnage too much.

Comment

Been playing this all morning and its such a relaxing game to play and watch....great way to spend a weekend morning.

Comment

Love this.

Wasn't sold right away, mind. Too much signposting and an overly simple first hour lead me to think it was never going to take-off.

But now I'm on the second world there's been some nifty puzzles, lovely visual flourishes and some satisfyingly weird uses of the Blob...Using him as a Jack, fr'instance.

I love how Blob is given so much character just by 'om-nomming' every time he choffs a jellybean. There's a lovely moment at the start of a silhouetted level where he

snaffles a firefly and can then be used as a light source for the rest of the level.

It's all spot-on really. One thing I especially love is how most enemies can be used in your favor to solve puzzles.

I give it Magical out of 10.

Comment

I just love it
                    very cute

Comment

I cant believe this isn't getting any love on here. were a hardcore game forum and most of us are saying Meh this must be dieing a death at retail.

Its beautifully animated and such a joy to play and if you want a game that will leave a big grin on your face the whole time your playing then this is the game for you.

i like the way its not just about finishing the levels too. The three treasure chests you have to find on each stage are worth hunting down as these give you cool items for your tree house. they also unlock bonus stages that give you concept art if completed.

Comment

I don't think its that anyone doesn't want to play it - there's just waaaay too much good stuff at the moment.

Comment

My copy is in the post, but I'm saving it to play with my 6 year old at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            I don't think its that anyone doesn't want to play it - there's just waaaay too much good stuff at the moment.
                            Tell me about it drake2, forza3, assasins creed 2, modern warefare 2, and a new mario! How can anything compete with a release heavy couple of months like that. It's comercial suicide going up against the marketing budgets of the big hitters.

Comment

Has anyone received the 6 art cards for this from play.com? Do they come seperately or are they inside the game's case with the manual etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X