Call of Duty Classic [PSN/XBL]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Duty Classic [PSN/XBL]

Wasn't really sure if this needed a first play as it's not exactly a new game.

It went up on the UK PlayStation Store today at 941MBs and it's £11:99 which is a little more than I was expecting but I suppose Activision have followed the practice set for Modern Warfare 2 today by pricing it a bit higher than other games.

I'm sure a lot of people on here played it when it was originally released in 2003 but this is the first time I've played the game and I've really been looking forward to having a play.

I believe this version is a port of the 2003 PC game running at maximum spec and to be honest it looks OK. It certainly doesn't look like a new game and I'm not sure if it was originally a good looking game but I'm quite happy with it.

The game contains a campaign and multiplayer section, I've played through the first 3 or 4 areas but not looked at the multiplayer at all. I mention areas rather than levels it understandably doesn't steam a complete level as you play, I'm not sure if it was the same originally but the areas I've seen don't seem particularly large.

The only issue as such I've had with the controls are when I was using a mounted gun and I found it to be really sensitive. The rest have been fine so far but there's a distinct lack of options to customise the game and it's controls.

It's really difficult to know what to make of the game as it's 6 years old and people may well have played it before or like me people may just want to see how the franchise has progressed over the years. I'm glad I bought it and I don't begrudge the price I paid but people may find it to be too expensive for what they are getting.

It may be wort pointing out that Sony have given it full trophy support which means it has a platinum trophy which is very unusual for a downloadable game which I suppose suggests that it can be seen as little more than just a standard downloadable game.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far but I'd be interested to hear what people who've played it in it's original guise think about this re-release.

Is this coming on on XBL today too then? I only ask becuase I'd rather play it with a 360 controller.

I played the original version and absolubtley adored it when it was released so when I play this I'll post how it compares, but I can say it was originaly a great looking game.

I'm intrested to know if anything has changed, Is the health system still the same? or has it been updated to be like all the other COD games?

Comment

Health system is the same. Was a bit of a shock having to look around for health packs after being used to health regeneration since CoD2 Had a brief go on this yesterday and seemed just like the CoD I fell in love with on the PC all those years ago

Comment

It doesn't appear to be on Xbox Live yet but I bought the PSN version. The health system is still the same. ie: health bar and collectible first aid kits.
        I never played the original but I'd be surprised if anything at all has been changed since it looks and feels distinctly retro. I wasn't expecting anything else of course, but even COD2 feels like a much more advanced game, never mind MW2.

Apart from the lack of control options that John mentioned, I'd also take issue that the framerate drops below 60fps quite frequently. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it, but it's probably too expensive to recommend to anyone other than fans of the original, or Call of Duty in general.

Comment

i've played through the PC original once, liked it very much. hope this is coming out today on the marketplace. instant purchase for me then

will report back here a.s.a.p.

Comment

its not due on x box live arcade today apparently but i suppose i could still pop up .

Comment

One of the things I've liked about this is the old fashioned type of health bar as I've never really liked the rechargeable health/shield type thing.

I just feels it adds something to the game when you're close to death and you have to sneak around trying to find a health pack rather than just being able to hide behind a wall and recover.

Originally posted by Kubrick
              I'd also take issue that the framerate drops below 60fps quite frequently.
              I have to admit that I didn't actually notice that happening so far although I was half asleep when I tried it.

I found the audio to be a bit lacking as it sounds like you're just shooting an air rifle at times.

There's no doubting that it's an old game when you play it as the technology has advanced incredibly since this was produced but I am enjoying it partly because of the shortcomings a game from that long ago will have.

When the game was released was it originally considered to be a really good game technically? Is this the game that started off the now traditional beach landing level or was it a later game?

I'd like to see more PC games like this getting console releases in the future but I think the price is pretty much the limit for a game of this age.

Comment

Never played the original Call of Duty? Now's your chance to see where it all began.

Giant Bomb Quick Look!

Comment

I'd like to play this, but not £11.99 like to play this.

Comment

does it include the united offensive expansion?

Comment

knowing activisions tactics the united offensive expansion will be dlc with an rrp of 19.99 out next year.

Comment

Did anybody get this on the 360 today? If so, what do you think?

Comment

Tried the trial and thought it was okay. Won't be buying it though, 1200 points is too much, and there are too many retail releases this time of year that interest me more.

Comment

I bought it on 360 yesterday
                            morning, but I've barely played it, on night shift so really couldn't be arsed! Lol. What I played seemed good. Sound effects are a little lacking in places, and it seemed a little harder to aim than the other cod's. First time playing this though, my point of entry was cod2. I was a little taken back by how often it loads the levels in. And the duration of said loading. I guess it was like that before though?

It would have been nice if IW could have optimised it a bit more, but seems good still.

Comment

Working...
                            X