The Magic Obelisk (WiiWare)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magic Obelisk (WiiWare)

Was released on WiiWare just after Christmas, Shadow Walker was the JPN name.

Am hearing this is Game Arts first original IP game in 10 years and oh my its a charming little gem, it's only 500 points as well.
    Love the description of the genre on the official site as Heartwarming Action Adventure and it certainly starts that way from the intro onward. I mean just look at the trailer!

In the game you play as Popo the light spirit who has to guide Lucas the tree spirit around the level, you do this by casting shadows around the level for Lucas to walk on by using Obelisks, if Lucas touches light he will turn into a tree (after you lose your 5 lives). So onward your journey begins to find the perfect spot to take root and become a tree.
    Each level represents a chapter, you play each level on the pages of an open book and with each chapter finished the page turns and you start a new chapter in the story/journey, very nice little touch.
    So far I have not came up across anything solid apart from few ghosts I'm around 6 chapters in, when you encounter these ghosts they will push you into the light. The only thing I'm disliking but you do get used to it, is the game does not use the wii pointer, you control Popo with the d-pad in classic NES stylee and use 1&2 to cast/cancel around Obelisks and 1 to order Lucas to a position, sometimes this isn?t the fastest way to connect things together but it still works.
    I was really enjoying the game what little I played and for 500 Points it's a steal for around 30 chapters in total, yet again showing there is some lovely original stuff on WiiWare.

Great impressions and mostly echo my own. (Including that I wish you could use the pointer for shadow movement.)

Comment

Working...
    X