Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridge Racer Accelerated (PATCH 1.0.2 / iPhone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridge Racer Accelerated (PATCH 1.0.2 / iPhone)

I know a few people bought Ridge Racer Accelerated when it first came out for the iPhone and slammed it because of it being pretty much completely unplayable. Framerates were awful and the game practically ran through treacle even on a 3GS.

The first thing Bandai Namco did was release a performance patch to fix this. It's now playable on first generation devices, and actually worth writing up a first play thread just for this patch.

It's essentially an iPhone version of Ridge Racers 2 on the PSP.

I've been playing it on my iPhone 3G so essentially first generation performance wise, and after you get used to the learning curve of playing it with an accelerometer instead of a control stick, it's actually not too shabby! It's certainly not flawless, definitely a 3/5 game but for the price that you're paying it's definitely worth it.

Bump the tilt sensitivity up to about 75% and it's very playable. The accelerometer and screen tilting is very very twitchy but it doesn't stop it being playable...

The game modes consist of Arcade, Duel and Survival, no career or world tour mode but that's fine with me. At this current time there is only a selection of 10 courses and car classes 1, 2 and 5. Car class 5 has to be purchased as DLC, aswell as 5 of the courses.

Courses and cars are unlocked by placing first in the tracks that you've got, along with unlockable reverse tracks too.

HOWEVER! Taken from their own product description...

Courses and machines will be rapidly added via FREE-UPGRADE throughout 2010.

Stay tuned for 40+ courses and 60+ machines:
    the total RIDGE RACER experience!
    So it might be worth getting while they're adding content in.

Overall, if you bought it and were immensely disappointed on release, then add it to your iPod/iPhone and give it another try since the patch. You might just learn to love it, it's certainly growing on me a lot now and I swore to avoid it like the plague on release...

A new update today added some extra control options, an onscreen dpad and an excellent 'slider' which has made the game far far better than it was. I've never been a fan of tilt control for racing games so these additions are highly welcome as I'm no longer frequently banging into walls and I can finally win races!

There's some extra cars/tracks in the free update too

Comment

Tempting. Does it have online or wifi multiplayer?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris View Post
        A new update today added some extra control options, an onscreen dpad and an excellent 'slider' which has made the game far far better than it was. I've never been a fan of tilt control for racing games so these additions are highly welcome as I'm no longer frequently banging into walls and I can finally win races!

There's some extra cars/tracks in the free update too
        I'll pick this up now I think, looked lovely but the tilt steering was off putting. The 'slider' sounds ideal.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to just buy Ridge Racers for PSP for less than £5?
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I don't habitually carry a PSP around with me in my pocket, so no. This for £1.79 is cheaper anyway.

That said, it's not quite as good as the PSP version, mainly for the control still. I found the "virtual dpad" to be the best...

Comment

Gonna buy this again after wipin it off my iTouch by accident. It was truly awful before and I`m a big Ridge fan. Nice to hear the controls have improved.

Comment

I bought it over the weekend and it is indeed pretty nice, certainly much better than it was. Virtual D-pad seems to be the best option as mentioned previously.

Comment

Working...
                X