Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army of Two : The 40th Day [360/PS3]

(Impressions from the 360 version)

I'm guessing that most people will pick this up at a later date as a bargain buy, but a friend and I wanted a genuine co-op game and I'd heard this was substantially better than the first game.

Well, we had an absolute blast for 2 hours last night! The "bro" stuff is (in my opinion at least) completely toned down (though I think it's there if you want it) and they've added new (fun!) mechanics to the game as well.

They've taken advice from a lot of other games here and used it to good effect, for example the game has achievement trackers that pop up throughout the game for things like "150 pistol kills" etc.

Some of the things they've added, for me, add a whole new dimention to the game. For a game that was originally just a full on shooter, they've even added a stealth element if you want it. You can sneak up on the "leader" of a group of enemies and take him hostage, which forces his underlings to surrender their weapons, whereby you can choose to execute or tie them up.

It's a very cool thing to sneak up on the leader of a group, take him hostage then watch your partner tie up the other guys, you then tie up the leader and you then save their hostages. This sometimes has to be done quickly as they are about to execute the hostages. For me it just adds a really cool element. You can of course just say "sod this" and snipe them from a distance, or indeed just kill them AND the hostages, it's up to you.

Another thing we both found really fun was the "mock surrender". If you come to an area where you haven't yet engaged in combat with the enemy you can mock surrender. This leads to two situations, you can do a "dual" mock surrender where you AND your partner put your hands up and walk to the enemy (you can even press a button to drop to your knees!) then you can quick draw which activates a mini-slowdown section where you can mow them down. The alternative is that one of you hangs back, and the other activates the mock surrender, walking slowly toward the enemy then... BANNG --- BANG ---- BANG ...your partner has sniped them. Again, this is a really cool featured we enjoyed a lot.

The co-op sniping is back but we didn't encounter it as a forced thing even once, more a case of "lets get the co-op snipe achievement" and it's as simple as pressing "A" whilst scoped, then your character counts down and you both fire!

It also has moral choices, one per level, where you can say decide to kill someone who is "innocent" or let them go free. Either choice has a cool little still movie afterwards in comic book style, which I found to be a nice addition.

The story seems okay, nothing incredible but it's not really supposed to be shakespearian, it's an action movie so to speak.

The controls feel better to me as well. I remember having issues getting in and out of cover as easily as I wanted to, but it seems spot on in this game, it feels really...right!

A couple of things that should be in most games like this, they nail. For example, click right stick and you swap shoulders with your weapon! Another example is that you don't have to hit "X" to pick up ammo, you walk over it, you pick it up. This is an action game, you don't wanna spend time stooping over every ammo box when it's obvious you need ammo!

It's not gonna be anyone's game of the year of course, but if (like me) your favourite type of gameplay is co-op then you probably should check it out. It's seems relatively short (2-3 hours for first 2-3 chapters and it seems 6 chapters long) so that pleased me as well.

It's a LOT smoother than the original game as well, it's really slick in places.

Finally (for now) I'd say kudos to them for having the quickest startup in history, one EA logo then the main menu is there, great stuff!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm very tempted by this but want to pick up cheap.

are you playing local co-op or online, wouldn't mind knowing that the online code is ok and not laggy or messed up ?

Comment

Playing over LIVE we had two occasions where it randomly kicked us out of the game, but it wasn't an issue really as it's very quick to get a game going. It said one of us had disconnected, but we hadn't, and it was back on a checkpoint so both times, no issue really.

As for playing it online, the code seems really good...it kinda has to be fo the co-op sniping stuff, otherwise it just wouldn't work. Neither of us noticed a single moment of lag in the entire 2-3 hours we played, not even during the back-to-back section!

I was rather surprised it was the full £40, I bought it in a supermarket but even online it's £38-ish, I guess that's because it's an EA title.

Comment

Nice impressions Jebus. Hopefully my copy will arrive tomorrow. Wasn't too fussed with the first AoT game but the press around this has been mostly positive and I need me some mindless shooter action!

Comment

It's kind hard to put my finger on what I disliked about the first game, enough so that I didn't finish it or get anywhere near finishing it. I think it just felt a bit "janky" and I didn't feel as though it were smooth enough.

In that department alone it's a massive improvement. Last night when my mate (MadWindy) went offline I really wanted to carry on! Usually it's me going to bed because I'm knackered, but I was ready to rock on last night with this game!

One thing though, unrelated to the game but normally I buy games online and it's probably the first time I've ever purchased a game from Sainsbury's, but why the hell aren't the games sealed? Why do I have to check the disc to make sure it's not scratched? One for the irks thread I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
            Playing over LIVE we had two occasions where it randomly kicked us out of the game, but it wasn't an issue really as it's very quick to get a game going. It said one of us had disconnected, but we hadn't, and it was back on a checkpoint so both times, no issue really.

As for playing it online, the code seems really good...it kinda has to be fo the co-op sniping stuff, otherwise it just wouldn't work. Neither of us noticed a single moment of lag in the entire 2-3 hours we played, not even during the back-to-back section!

I was rather surprised it was the full ?40, I bought it in a supermarket but even online it's ?38-ish, I guess that's because it's an EA title.
            ta for the answer. I'm surprised too at the high price, guess its alone as a big release and they hoping to hoover up some chrimbo vouchers.

Comment

I will pick this up at some point for the 2 player coop and the weapon pimping. While the first game was basically an average clone of Gears of War the over the top Bro elements made it a laugh so this is deffo going to be got soonish.

Comment

I enjoyed the first one because I love co-op gameplay, but none of my usual friends seem interested in picking this up and it doesn't seem worth getting for solo play.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                  I enjoyed the first one because I love co-op gameplay, but none of my usual friends seem interested in picking this up and it doesn't seem worth getting for solo play.
                  Same with me, I've hired it for the week and I'm really enjoying it (PS3) but I think it would be so much better with some online co-op play rather than AI and I can't find anyone to play with (sob..)

Comment

What a surprise!! It's got Nolan North in it...

Comment

That's industry standard though...

Comment

Played some more tonight and I really like it. Sure it's not going to engage anyone's brain but if you like blockbuster action movies then it's pretty much like playing one of those. Things to shoot, buildings blowing up, airplanes crashing, hostages to rescue or kill.

Only been playing it so far with an AI partner so if anyone has a PS3 copy and wants some co-op let me know.

I think it looks pretty good and it's certainly been smooth so far and all with no install on the PS3

Comment

Is this glitches?

Got my copy today and the Y axis won't invert.

Annoying!!

Comment

I loved the first game, played through on local co-op. I was excited about 40th day and i tried the demo but i found the cameras angles to be terrible and it felt clunky compared to the first game. I am hoping this is just because it's a "work in progress" demo...

Can anyone confirm that it has improved past the demo? as it was a launch day buy for me until I played the demo.

Thanks

Comment

got this for £23 on Amazon and just played thru the 1st chapter and a bit on co-op over live with my son.

we really liked it, I far prefer cover shooters to those where you whizz around getting giddy and this is a really nice big dumb action movie GoW clone.

won't win any awards but looking forward to working thru it.

Comment

Working...
                              X