The Combini DS [JPN]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Combini DS [JPN]

After reading through importaku's "Minna no Conveni" FP thread I thought I should get around to doing one for this. I've only had the game since Nov 2008...

It's partly billed as a management training game, but the emphasis is on "game". Think "Sim-Convenience store", or more accurately, "Sim-Lawson" as the game features Japan's most famous convenience store. You have even have Karaage-kun (small packets of fried chicken) stands!

You are given control over many things, first you choose where to put your shop, who to employ, and what produce to put in there and where to put it. This is for both in- and outside the shop. You decide the opening hours, what % to charge for items (80~120%), and what advertising you do.

There are three scenarios to start with, the first you have to sell X amount of goods, the second involves getting the population of an island over 5000 and the third...I haven't gotten to yet. I can only build the smallest of the three sizes of shops so far as well. There are some mini-games in there somewhere but I doubt I'll be seeing them this week.

As with most Sim games, once everything is set up there's not much to do, just watch the customers come in and out of the shop, tweak the size of a vending machine here or the position of an oden stand there.

Cost-cutting is fun. Sad to say. Firing the store manager and then promoting the normal staff to save money is one of my favourites. Setting up a new store is fun too, by transferring experienced staff from another place then employing someone cheaper to replace them...I think I have this management thing sorted now!

One way to increase the number of customers is by subsidising a piece of land for some purpose - a block of flats, cop shop, school, etc. This is one way of helping give back to the community, and more importantly, to make more money!

Me likes.

I really want to get into this one but the kanji is hammering me hard, is there any guide to the menus for this game, i downloaded the game to give another try, if i can understand enough to fully play i'll risk buying it as it does seem a fun game.

The stuff like hiring people & chosing store location & customising inside are fine, it's the options for toggling various things im struggling to work out, i worked out the one to change the opening hours but theres one with a slider that i have no idea of. I did get to try a barcode scanning minigame though which was fun.

Comment

The slider is the price setting, you can set it between 80%-120% of the price of the product to undercut the competition or gouge your customers.

Let me give you a breakdown of the menus.
      From the office view:
      Go to town
      Go to stores
      Promotion
      Open new store
      Business situation
      System
      Help
      Close

From the store view:
      Change viewpoint
      Change store
      Office
      Close

Then from change store:
      Change opening hours
      Alter layout
      Alter pricing
      Change store design (~size)
      Staffing
      Sell store
      Customer/staff info (~what they came to do)
      Return

And in alter layout:
      Add fitting and goods
      Move fittings
      Swap goods
      Remove fitting
      Remove all fittings
      Load layout
      Save layout
      Close

Hope that helps.

I've played the barcode scanning game a couple of times and the karaage-kun frying game a few times too. Still stuck on the third scenario - sell 100'000'000yen-worth of goods. It's a toughie.

Comment

Cheers Kryss thats extremely helpful & just what i needed.

Comment

No problem dude, glad to hear you're giving it a go.

One thing to remember, if the game won't let you use a store layout it's probably because the staff can't get to the till.

With the promotion menu there are two main catagories, advertising and subsidising. You can advertise via:
          Aeroplane
          Radio
          TV
          Each is progressively more expensive.

The subsidising is where you front cash up for something to be built so that you can get more customers. This is VERY important for scenario 2 where you have to increase the population of an island to over 5000.

Comment

Thanks to your info my store is now doing pretty good im halfway on the progress marker for scenario 1, one thing i have noticed though. There seems to be a bottleneck at the tills. I have more customers coming in than my slack till person can cope with. I have had the dizzy eyed picture crop up a few times now. I have seen that certain people have a better till stat but that dosent seem to be helping much. Any tips?

Comment

That picture comes with a caption saying "The till in store X broke and the customers are angry!" It happens and there's nothing you can do about it. If you want to change to a till where two staff can serve at once, choose either of the two on the right.

Over time the staff get better with everything. The four stats that come up when you're choosing an employee are: Health, education, till, guard, customers and cleaning.

I'm currently at 58% (i.e. 58'000'000yen in sales) on scenario three.

I should dig out the little Lawson book I got with it and see what tips they offer.

Little play video:
              Last edited by kryss; 18-02-2010, 23:53.

Comment

Well i managed to clear scenario one & now onto the next but not sure what the scenario target is??

It is a fun game once you get the menus sorted, im enjoying it enough to buy the original even if it is a rather pricy title as play asia have it for nearly ?40 Y ebay isn't far behind.

Comment

Scenario 1: Run a convenience store for a year.
                  Scenario 2: Get the population of the island over 5000.
                  Scenario 3: Accumulate 100'000'000 yen in sales.
                  Scenario 4: Break the 100'000-customer mark. < still working on this one

When designing your store try not to use anything bigger than a single block inside and don't be afraid to have them half-overlapping each other. Put oden/karaage-kun by the photocopier and alternate food/drink/food/drink/etc. If you open a new store move one of the experienced staff from your current store there as the manager (I think that's fairly obvious though).

Comment

LOL i think somethings gone wrong with my game, halfway through scenario 2 & both my rivals have gone out of buisness. Just my shops left, oh dear such a shame. Time to ramp up the prices muwahahaha.

Comment

Rivals close shops, but they also open new ones. That happened to me several times on scenario 3 (one of the many times I had to redo it...Managed it on the fourth try).

Comment

This sounds awesome - I recall a long time ago a Japanese doujin group working on a similar type of game, set in an RPG world, where you did all of the above, albeit in order to attract RPG heroes to buy from you.

Slightly stupid question, but is there any such game available for the PSP? My DS isn't going to be available for several weeks.

Comment

I think it might be on the Japanese PSN...let me check.
                          Yep, The Combini and The Combini 2 are on there for 600yen each, along with The Drugstore, and The Fami[ly]res[taurant].
                          Last edited by kryss; 03-03-2010, 13:29.

Comment

Awesome, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X