Perfect Dark (XBL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect Dark (XBL)

Someone wanted a first play for this so I thought I might as well do one.

This is basically the exact same Perfect Dark that most people on here will have played before, gameplay wise its a perfect port and plays very well with the 360 controller, there are three different configurations, I've found the Spartan one the easiest to use simply because it maps the use of the secondary fire button to B, which means you no longer have to use a separate button to toggle between shooting and pistol whipping enemies, though purists will probably want to go for the classic method I suppose as it mimics the original set up as perfectly as it can do.

Played the first 4 levels of the single player, the first on hard and the rest on normal difficulty and its just as fun as it ever was, naturally there are a few faults, the fact that there is no waypoint on your hud feels almost archaic for instance and can lead to some confusion, but the gunplay is still incredibly satisfying and the weapons are just awesome.

I had a bit of trouble with the multiplayer while playing online so cant comment much on it yet, it was just so laggy and I couldn't hit anyone because they kept disappearing and then reappearing around the room. Hopefuly i was just unlucky or if it is an issue it will be sorted out soon. Obviously you can play 4 way local multiplayer too which I'm sure quite a few people are looking forward too, and it runs perfectly with no slowdown, unlike the original version.

As for the rest of the presentation, it looks great, yes it looks like an N64 game but the developer has done a spectacular job with making the visuals HD can't say I've seen too many remakes of games look so much better while still basically looking like the same game, its very impressive indeed. I'm sure the sound has been improved too, but there are a few complaints i have. For one the voice acting is terrible, infact in this day and age of games like Mass Effect and Uncharted, when voice acting is starting to almost match that of high budget animated movies, this is just plane embarrassing really and you might end up wanting to skip the cutscenes. Also, and this is just personal taste, but I've never been a fan of the games constant music, as horrible as the dialogue is I would still like to be able to hear what I'm suppose to be doing next, but its hard too sometimes.

I think thats about it, its basically exactly the same as the N64 version but with shinny new graphics that are actually really good IMO. Its a great game and both fans and people who haven't played it before should get it really, especially considering its only 800 points which is ridiculously cheap when you look at the price of some other games on Xbox live.

I agree, I'm playing through single player on normal difficulty (i.e. easy) and its a great trip down memory lane, find I'm remembering the level layouts which is good as they seem confusing by todys standards.

odd bits
    Not seeing the lips move at all in cut scenes
    stary glare from some of the lights seems OTT.
    Joanna looking a bit like posh spice

cool bits
    remembering the way
    dieing animation
    secondary fire mode
    high level of sheen on everything

Total bargin for 800 points

Comment

well i sold all my N64 collection before this came out, so have never played it, its brilliant, dont know if id played it to death on the N64 i would have got it again , but its so good for 800 pts its a bargain.

Comment

Played a bit last night and the game is the exact opposite of the N64 one for me in that the single player is where it's at. It's a game that shows how far ahead Rare was and how far the company has fallen since with so many idea's and features that are classed as current gen now. But the multiplayer has definately aged too much, the mp has a nostalgia factor but these days the maps are too small and the combat too bullet spamfest. I'll be sticking to the glorious sp

Comment

I'm not sure why the motion blur was needed if it's 60fps

Comment

Poor Molyneux, he gets punched on the 2nd level

Comment

He's been blown up, shot, pistol whipped and tranquilized on most of the levels for me so far - and I'm not done yet!

Also, as for the voice acting issue. What needs to be remembered here is that these are the original vocals from the N64 game, they've not been newly recorded especially for this re-release. The game is a decade old, it's not going to have hollywood like brilliance
              Last edited by Daragon; 18-03-2010, 09:42.

Comment

Played the demo and was very impressed. A simple bang up job of a port. Like Rmoxon said it looks and feels like the original and plays nicely.

Comment

This is really, really good. Whilst I was excited, I was a bit concerned that it might be crap to play, but it's still lovely. It's old school, but so different from modern FPS that it's utterly refreshing.

I've forgotten most of the game, so this isn't just nostalgia, this is having genuine fun. Played it last night on co-op with a mate and we were giggling like school girls.

I'd forgotten how great the guns are. There's loads in this game that modern FPS could take a lesson from.

And the presentation is juuuuuuust right. They've got exactly the right mix of bang up to date tech and retro look. The music is still the same, but sounds alive and clear. Even the MAHOOSIVE menu font works well. Can't wait to play more tonight.

Comment

I downloaded the trial, worried that it would be a case of rose tinted glasses and it would be a horribile dated experience.......

and....

...I was wrong! Straight away I fell in love with this again. Bought it there and then and played a couple of challenges and a bit online.

The online was a wee bit shambling, but hopefully it will sort itself out. Too many people melting into walls and shooting through doors for my liking, but it's all stuff that should be pretty easy to fix.

I had forgotten how cool the music in this game is. It all came flooding back as soon as I heard the first level. The graphics look lovely and everything is smooth. It really shows up a lot of modern games for how shoddy they are.

The only bad point so far for one player is that I started to feel a fit sick when I played for a while. Hopefully it wasn't caused by the game (I did devour an unhealthy amount of pickled onion monster munch before hand!), but I have heard other people complain that this game has been giving them motion sickness.

Comment

I have only one complaint about this: I really wish it had an option to manually aim with the left stick. I'm crap at modern shooters cos I can't aim with the right stick for some reason. This won't matter to most people but I find it unbelievable there isn't an option to play the game with the original controls. It's true that it's easy to rely on auto aim in Perfect Dark but I'd rather not have to do that and feel like I'm missing out if I do.

I'm hoping for a patch here, because otherwise this is faultless. The shiny new graphics and super smooth framerate feel like this is how it should have been all along, and even the music (which was always awesome) is noticeably better. It was fun going through the weapons in the Combat Simulator and seeing the tweaks to their designs. Can't wait to get deeper into the rest of it. It's just those controls.

Comment

I agree on the controls, I have a better method in mind but I can't configure the face buttons. There should be an edit option. I notice on Spartan setup that 'B' pistol whips then returns to primary fire mode with one press, on the N64 you could tap the sec. fire button and fire at the same time and it would return like that, but I can't pull it off outside of Spartan controls, I've not tried Duty Calls yet.

Also, with player handicaps removed from even local multiplayer it makes customising some games impossible. Let's get a petition going! lol

Apart from those gripes the rest of it is spot on, I just wish we could use N64 controllers some how. I'm still well impressed with the audio.

I'm glad people are finally seeing the light with this game, I've been preaching it for nearly ten years.
                        Last edited by dataDave; 18-03-2010, 11:22.

Comment

I am at the first mission of the Air Base now and it's surprising how my memory has forgotten so many levels, this game is an absolutely beast!

It's HUGE! I've spent several hours on single player and a couple in multiplayer, not even touched the challenges yet.

I do have a question, mainly for dataDave as he's the resident PD lover round these parts: How do you get the gold with the AR34, it's doing my effin nut. The most innacurate gun, 500 points in 20 seconds without losing 1% of accuracy!

God knows how I did it on the N64, the tranq gun gold medal was driving me nuts too, but I managed to do that.

Comment

who's up for some private online custom games over the weekend ?

love this game, the best value for money 800 points ive ever spent on the marketplace, if you have not downloaded this yet i ask, y not :P

Comment

I'll do it tonight and let you know, at work arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X