Final Fight Double Impact [PSN/XBLA]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fight Double Impact [PSN/XBLA]

So, as nobody else has bothered to start a thread (Preferring to discuss the game in the headlines thread...), I guess I will!

Picked this up yesterday from the PSN. I've only played through it for an hour or so (Completed with Haggar... although I messed with Cody and Guy on the second level so didn't get a trophy) but I have to say I think it's absolutely fantastic.

I played it through using the default settings (Arcade surround and phosphor glow, along with the remixed music) and it's a wonderful way to present a game like this. The options are there to allow you to manipulate the video (Though I have no idea why you would want to!) and to use the original music (Which I will check out on the next play through).

The number of trophies/achievements are pretty small as they cover both games, but the game (FF at least) has an in built challenge system that seems to give you plenty to aim for that allows you to unlock various bits and pieces in the extras menu.

And the game is completely nails. It's weird, I played this a fair amount in my younger days (Well, as much as someone with limited access to the arcade could have anyway) but I'm noticing things here that I never even remember from then. Like using the special move drains health, approaching an enemy from close on the vertical plane and then drawing parallel with him on the horizontal plane gives you a grab - I'm sure this is old news to most of you but I have to say it fairly blew my mind yesterday.

Some of the later levels (Which I have never seen before) are unbelievably hard. Getting through the game only using 18 continues I would imagine will be a pretty tough ask, for me at least.

Massive thumbs up from me so far, and I haven't even touched Magic Sword yet. If anyone wants to go through in co-op mode give me a shout - PSN: Number45.

The challenges for Final Fight on this are very easy I thought, the 18 continues achievment isnt hard if you know the boss patterns either, as they are really the only thing that make the game tough. If you do have trouble with it Co-op makes the game easier.

The Magic Sword Challenges are ridiculous though, I dont know if I can be bothered to get them, espeicaly considering ive never been a big fan of the game. I will get all the game specific achievments probabaly though, again none of them seem hard.

As for the game itself, yeah I agree its an awesome rendition of Final Fight, not too many bells and whistles, but the presentation is great and its as fun as it ever was. Even the remixed soundtrack is decent... which must be a first.
    Last edited by rmoxon; 21-04-2010, 15:12.

Comment

How do I access magic sword on psn, its not immediately obvious to me.

Comment

Probably a bit off topic, but the Sent U a Message Final Fight mock ups had me chuckling. Had me downloading the (trial) game too which, despite being a faithful enough conversion, didn't float by boat.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
          How do I access magic sword on psn, its not immediately obvious to me.
          You mean from within the game? I *think* you need to move the screen to the left (The main screen, where you can see the FF arcade machine). I'm going to assume it's one of the left shoulder buttons.

Comment

thanks for that, will check it out later!

Comment

It's done with a button press. Detailed on top left of screen. Triangle or Square button I think.

Comment

It's Square for PSN.

I've given up on this now. I think that I've played Final Fight so much over the years that I can't play it anymore. It's got to be the best version of it I've ever played though.

One thing that I find terrible is the lack of configurable controls.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Probably one of the best packages to arrive on PSN, I agree with J0e that is you were a Final Fight fan anyway, this won't last you long..........but it's superbly done.

Comment

have just been playing magic sword, which Ive really enjoyed - a lot different from FF but just as good imo. Would be great if Capcom could bring back some of their other classic titles - would love to see Ghouls n Ghosts or Forgotten Worlds on psn.

Comment

had never played magic sword before....and hated every second of it here.

final fight however is great fun still...horribly frustrating til you remember all the old tricks tho.

Comment

Me and Kern went halves on this and it cant be played by two accounts and will only work on the account that bought it.

Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          The challenges for Final Fight on this are very easy I thought, the 18 continues achievment isnt hard if you know the boss patterns either, as they are really the only thing that make the game tough. If you do have trouble with it Co-op makes the game easier.

The Magic Sword Challenges are ridiculous though, I dont know if I can be bothered to get them, espeicaly considering ive never been a big fan of the game. I will get all the game specific achievments probabaly though, again none of them seem hard.
                          Hardest part of FF is any area with lots of Hollywood and El Gado's on screen at once.

Magic sword was pretty easy too, it's nowhere near as difficult as it first seems. Within a couple of runs I'd got it down to 6 credits.

Comment

This really doesn't work well with sticks, the options for screen settings only support analog selection, and the button layout isn't changable so my layout sucks on a stick.

Voice chat is awfully muffled too. its ok though for a port innit.

Comment

Working...
                            X