Super Street Fighter IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Street Fighter IV

Okay, this game's in the house. Ps3 version.

Played it for some 30 minutes now, not too much but enough to get some insight on the package.

When loading the game up, it uses a separate savefile and records don't carry over. It searches for SFIV data and if you have it, 2 extra character colour schemes are yours. Optional install is in, as well as JP voices for cutscenes and characters.

First of all, the intro has been altered. Its much better now and features a few of the new characters. That song, Indestructible?, is gone. Finally. Presentation of the game is better on the whole, its got a more classic feel to it. You know, the old worldmap etc...

I think the Training interface was improved, you can check your required inputs via select button. Training stage music is also much better now.

Another extra thing thats worthy to note is that the training dummy, Dan, now wears facial and body armor

The game itself, it could be my imagination but it looks less jagged than the previous game. I've played with Makoto first and what I noticed is that I was severely disappointed at first. I went in with my SF3 combos and juggles in mind but forgot this is SFIV. This takes a different and slower approach. Its hard to keep up with her so far. Then I changed to Guy. Same story, he's slower than in SFA as the game itself is slower. His HK hurricane is still whiff on normal sized chars and the timing for his special overhead throw is hard... hes faithful to his previous outing. Juri's really cool. She has an aerial special called Shikusen and their follow ups '2nd impact' and 'Third strike'. I liked that. She's more about eye candy in her moves, which I like. Her EX shikusen is a nasty setup for some Ultras. Haven't played with the other newcomers yet.

Its in fact still the same game as before, but superior in about every way possible. Recommended.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Ok, some more.

-Trophy list is new and separate. They revolve around finishing arcade, clear trials and online play.

-Seth isn't cheap at all anymore. I beat him easily with Juri, a character I'm not familliar with yet. He didn't cheat-piledriver me once. He was just fun to fight against now. I thought Capcom would make the bosses harder, but they didn't it seems.

-Its still useful to finish arcade mode: it will unlock battle voices and colors.

-Online play I tried, but only a small amount of people available. Team Battle no one available.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
      -Seth isn't cheap at all anymore.
      That's the best news for me. Gives me a lot more incentive to play through with various characters.

Comment

I never found him cheap in the first place. Completely steam-rolled him everytime.

Comment

After a few hours of training, Makoto might not suck at all.

She has the advantage over 3S as this game technically has 2 supers (the regular super which is Tanden Renki in her case and the Ultra ofcourse).

Basically, you can activate Tanden Renki (its the move where she becomes red) and then cancel it into her punch Ultra. Combos after her Karakusa grab still work, to my pleasant surprise. So you can do her SF3 Karakusa grab -> HP -> Hayate -> Tanden Renki... and then punch Ultra.

She can now activate her kick Ultra after a succesful Focus attack instead of her chop in SF3, and then just like in SF3 catch her falling opponent with the upward punch (Fukiage) or with the air kick special, and finish with EX-Hayate.

She's probably my fave, along with Cody.

I still hate Deejay and T-Hawk.
          Last edited by saturn-gamer; 24-04-2010, 16:52.

Comment

Thanks for the first impressions. I am looking forward to this next week. So does this have a proper arcade type "attract" mode this time around? (SFIV just had that music video and about 10 seconds of gameplay before the whole thing looped again).

Its good that you mentioned the visuals on the PS3 had a bit of a boost. Apparently SFIV switched from 720p to 630p on the close ups of the characters (on the zoom ins) on the PS3, which was very noticeable on the HUD, it would go a bit blurry and then pop back into focus when the characters returned to the 2D plane.

Comment

It's been confirmed that the PS3 version remains at 720p at all times now

Comment

first game on the xbox was region free ....so hoping this is to may pick it up

saw a video of makoto though her upper punch move seemed pretty useless...how is it though in game ?

Comment

Its kind of useless, it even requires timing against jumping opponents. In SF3 it was useful after her Abare Super, but due to the camera usage thats hard to connect now. Her aerial kick special is more useful there.

Well, I royally sucked online. Was out of the loop for about 8 months. Mind you, I also started with Makoto and Cody online and I've hardly played with them outside of challenge mode.

Reverted to my old main Roggy the boxer and got a 5 streak + subsequent trophies.

I also played a Cammy, and the Brits might be proud as she seems to be tuned by quite a bit. The guy playing her wasn't that good or special, but Cammy had some insane priorities now that I didn't expect (its as if animations after her specials have been cut), even over roggy's jabs. She's annoying as hell. Turning punch has lots of invincibility frames too. Blocking her corkscrew gives her advantage on a cannon spike follow up.

By the way, the netcode seems to be improved too. I was playing against people from Germany, Switzerland and Holland and I had zero lag. Plus, there was no noticable decrease in speed too (that annoyed me in vanilla SFIV).
                  Last edited by saturn-gamer; 24-04-2010, 18:36.

Comment

how about the previous characters like blanka any major changes there ? (his challenge mode some of the combos were insanely hard to do )

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                      -Its still useful to finish arcade mode: it will unlock battle voices and colors.
                      does this mean you cant change the voices straight away?

please dont tell me i have to beat the game with each character i want to change. i've forgotten how it worked before, but obviously i did it with everybody just to unlock all characters. i'd rather not have to do that again.

Comment

I'm afraid this is the way to go.

I don't feel like doing it either. I've just flicked the game language to Japanese. Although it would make sense to have some like Dudley in other languages. Guy says 'Profound Sadness' after losing and that sounded pretty cool.

I'll probably one round + easy the Arcade mode with those Western dudes and Cammy.

About changes, I hate Blanka so didn't check. But I did notice Ryu's DP is 2 hit from the ground now, much like it was in SF2 Champion Edition. His Metsu Shoryuken is really epic, but sucks after FADC when compared to Metsu Hadouken.
                        Last edited by saturn-gamer; 24-04-2010, 19:59.

Comment

switching the whole lot to japanese will do... i forgot about that.
                          makoto's english voice sounds awful.

Comment

Awesome, I can change them all!

Apparently, one Arcade mode finish is enough to unlock the full roster. At least i'm very positive that it wasn't there before I beat the game (also got a message).

Comment

Is this playable at all with ordinary PS3 pad, or is it essential to get a proper fightstick?

Comment

Working...
                              X