RayStorm HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RayStorm HD

Am I the only saddo that has bought this then?

Anyway this is pretty much what you would expect from the title. It's RayStorm with it's shoot and lock on mechanics albeit enhanced with lovely crisp HD visuals and a few other bits and bobs such as the different soundtracks. Controls are ok with a stick but expect the usual slackness with the 360 pad.

Still has the manual or auto fire options for your laser although I think mapping the laser to a shoulder button makes it easier to use than the default setting of using two face buttons to shoot.

A solid port overall.

I used to love this game on my PS1 , really love it, and at 800 pts would have got it, but 1200 is to much for me, as ive played it to death before.

Comment

Would probably paid 1200 points for this had they bothered to implement a proper widescreen mode, but deciding instead to zoom in on the screen is not only lazy, but tarnishes what could and should have been a very pure shoot 'em up experience. It ain't good enough.

Comment

I can't say the faux 16:9 ratio bothers me. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.

Comment

It's not a game shattering omission, I concur, but it is lazy and means enemies you should be able to see (in the original) are hidden off screen which rather dilutes the game. But then I'm pretty anal about stuff like that so, yeah...

Comment

Never really had a love for the game so not paying full wack for this. Its no Rayforce thats for sure.

Comment

It'd be mental to say its a solid port, Its hugely lazy port which cuts off large sections of the screen. I couldn't believe how much was cut during the first boss battle.

Comment

*plays 600 yen PS1 version upscaled via PS3*
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

1200 points for a port of a 14 year old game, when After Burner Climax is 800? Are they kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                    Its no Rayforce thats for sure.
                    Correct. The original is still the best in the Ray series. That would have been a better game to update as I doubt too many people have played it in the arcades or even on the Saturn.

Comment

I bought this from the JP store, along with Thunderforce V and still on the fence for Gaia Seed and G-Darius.

The funny thing is that I also own the regular Ray Storm from PSN (and ok, Layer Section II on the Saturn). The HD game has a clearer look and a rock solid framerate, which annoyed me in the classic home versions.

I couldn't really notice that they've cut the screen, I'll take a look into it. If thats true, I might as well play the original if it weren't for the trophies.

EDIT: Well, I think I prefer the original, heh. It might be me but the music is louder in this one and there is the authentic Arcade presentation with Insert coin etc as well. Hmm, yeah... you'd be better off spending 600 yen for the Ps1 classic.

Ofcourse Rayforce (Galactic Attack) is superior, this series is typical in that they got worse with every installment. I like Ray Crisis the least of the bunch.
                      Last edited by saturn-gamer; 06-05-2010, 17:53.

Comment

One of the game's developers has tweeted that the cropped faux-widescreen effect is all Sony's fault. They wouldn't allow it to be released in 4:3.

Comment

Also quite baffling to see that this game is like 110% English. Is it so hard to upload this to the western PSN and gain a few extra bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                            I bought this from the JP store, along with Thunderforce V and still on the fence for Gaia Seed and G-Darius.

The funny thing is that I also own the regular Ray Storm from PSN (and ok, Layer Section II on the Saturn). The HD game has a clearer look and a rock solid framerate, which annoyed me in the classic home versions.
                            Gaia Seed is OK but I would recommend G-Darius. It would probably look pretty decent upscaled on the PS3.

Like you I already own Layer Section SS and RayStorm PS but the cleaned up HD version does look great. I would like to know more about the development of the HD version. It's weird when you see the wobbly planet in the background during the intro makes you wonder if it's an emulator. If so it shows the original art assets must have been pretty detailed in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                              I bought this from the JP store, along with Thunderforce V and still on the fence for Gaia Seed and G-Darius
                              G-Darius is both brilliant and quite unique.

Disappointed to hear about the problems with this game. The last boss in Raystorm is one of my all time favourites and the music is amazing for that battle. I always really liked unleashing a full purple lock on (with the black hole effect) on a boss and then throwing in the smart bomb on top for major damage. I never actually played the other Ray games though.

Is this only available on the Japan store of both?

Comment

Working...
                              X