Alan Wake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Wake

Can't believe I've waited so long for this one, finally got to play it and so far liking it a lot!

Played the first 'episode' in the dark with the sound cranked up, and I could have quite easily sat playing for the whole night. I love everything about it, particularly the atmosphere which is incredible.

Story wise I guess it isn't doing anything new, but Remedy have done a good job with the writing which is much better than average. It throws you in the deepend almost instantly, and the pacing seems to be very good too. I love how the story, or perhaps setpieces, unfold - you almost know what's coming next, but not when. The tension is high for long stretches and escalated with some excellent audio work.

Graphics are outstanding, among the best I've seen on any system. The lighting alone is just incredibly done. Really beautiful looking game in places, although it is let down by poor lipsynching in cutscenes. Not seen any slowdown or tearing, and quite frankly anyone who discussed the game not running at 720p before hand was wasting their breath! It looks like a HD game to me, and a fantastic one at that.

For a horror I guess this seems to want to be Silent Hill with better gameplay. Too early to tell how close it gets to Silent Hill 2 scares but so far it is more on edge tension than 'too scared to progress'. The gameplay wipes the floor with that franchise however, the controls are great and the action is entertaining with some nice touches.

I got the LE, which is possibly the least useless LE I've bought. Avoiding the Dev commentry and documentry until I finish the game, but I very much appreciate this style of extra over a rubbish plastic toy. Also including every official trailer of the past five years was a nice touch (including one unreleased). The book could be good too, although I don't know how spoilery it is.

I'm only an hour or so into it but my thoughts are very much
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I've been playing it myself in the middle of the 2nd chapter. Personally i don't think it looks great, maybe because i'm seeing on a 1080p screen. It also tears like a bitch too. Characters look mega ugly and their facial animations are really jarring, you can definetly tell the game has been in the works for a long time. However, the graphics when they do shine they really shine. The environments are the true star of Alan Wake. The lighting, fauna and shadow work are just exceptional seeing the wind blow right through and shake, just lovely. Audio is gorgeous, if you have a surround setup make sure you crank it right up!

I'm not feeling much for the story yet, but it is early. The narration by Alan Wake is really distracting me, i find his voice actor bland. Maybe i will get more attached to him as the game progesses.

Early days yet.
    Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 13-05-2010, 18:21.

Comment

I'm also running on a 1080p screen and not had any tearing...maybe that comes in chapter 2...? I agree the character models aren't brilliant but otherwise the game looks cutting edge to me, I'm amazed you don't think it looks great!

Comment

Iven been playing this too this afternoon, got up to episode 3. The game looks absolutly stunning running at 1080p with surround sound cranked up! it makes it explosive getting you jumping out your seat when Takens come out at you.

The audio is amazing as well making the music pop right at the exact moments, the only downside to it at the moment is the lip syncing, its so bad and out of time, you would think since this is story driven by alot of cut scenes they would put extra time in getting the lip sync correct.
        I like the fact that you can invest more time into the game by viewing the tv shows and radio stints (even if they are somtimes a bit long winded) and it all adds up to a great experience and atmosphere a top title (Its a mix of Supernatural/LOST/Twin Peaks).

I also bought the LE and what a lovely LE it is. The book style box is beautiful its one of the best LE i have bought by far quite clever and just looks spendid sitting on the shelf.

Comment

Arghhh scary! Me no likey.

Played for about an hour and think it's brilliant so far. The way the story unfolds through manuscripts and actual game action is great and very terrifying at times. I'm always a pansy when it comes to stuff like this so if you are like me you will be in for some frights and general unsettling times throughout. Constantly on edge really.

As for the graphics side, it's good and bad. Some of it looks dated to me and some of it looks great. The faces are obviously really poor and the lip syncing is pathetic. I can lip sync 3D models better than that having only toyed with it in uni briefly so really dissapointing to see such a big game do it so terribly. But it doesn't really distract as I find myself always looking around at other things too as people are talking anyway.

Overall though, great so far. I'm more concerned about story and gameplay and it's been very enjoyable thus far. Graphics are a side issue so not bothered when they are ropey looking in places. Oh and I noticed tearing almost instantly when spinning the camera when running in 720p, not too much though and hardly distracts when playing. Only see it when you're looking for it.

Comment

Baffled about the comments on the visuals, I think it looks fantastic. Then again people were banging on about Just Cause 2 looking pants and for all that games faults (and there were lots!), looking bad was definitely not one of them as far as I could tell.

I guess if you're nitpicking textures and the finer points then maybe, but honestly if people can't turn that off when a game is dripping in atmosphere like this, then playing games must be more of a chore than an enjoyable experience.

I love it. I'm only at the end of Chapter One and I've forced myself to stop playing - I'm taking this in bite sized pieces. The atmosphere is phenomenal though - the sound and lighting all come into play, and I love the little incidental touches like the Diner in the beginning. The musical choices are really cool too and caught me by surprise.

Suffice to say if it keeps up like this then Remedy can take as long as they like with their games in future, they'll be well worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I don't mean to nitpick in a bad way. Just making observations as I agree with you that I can ignore stuff as the game is dripping in atmosphere.

It's just that since Im trying to get a job as an artist in the industry I see so many things that are wrong or badly done without really trying to. It doesn't ruin games, I can just switch off and enjoy but I always notice things and find myself stopping to go look in further detail at how something is modelled or textured etc.

Agree about the lighting though. Looks sublime.

And the audio fits perfectly with the gameplay really adding to the tension.

Comment

I've read they are fixing lip syncing with a patch, I thought it was for launch but I maybe wrong.

I'm glad others are having a similar experience to me

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                  I'm also running on a 1080p screen and not had any tearing...maybe that comes in chapter 2...? I agree the character models aren't brilliant but otherwise the game looks cutting edge to me, I'm amazed you don't think it looks great!
                  the tearing is there, but its occassional and not as back as other examples.

i'm playing on a 1080p 52" screen and the graphics are decent. There is a 'blur/grain' added to them and thats why it looks bit rough, but i assume its supposed to give it that 'silent hill' type look.

Comment

i got my LE this morning, and agree its lovely. going to finish the game before i touch the book or the extras.
                    im working from home today and the temptation to go up and bang this on is terrible!

Comment

Just finished chapter 2 after playing late last night, I jumped quite a few times, any players with a nervous disposition be aware ! fantastic audio, very freaky wearing headphones ;-) I cannot wait to get back into Bright Falls tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_rich View Post
                        i got my LE this morning, and agree its lovely. going to finish the game before i touch the book or the extras.
                        Does the book contain any spoilers?

Comment

I'm not feeling the love for it the same as you guys. I just find it dull to play. Once its over its going. I'm on Episode 4. I wish i was getting all the good vibes you guys are. :/

Comment

Just had a quick go and already scared! will play it tonight in the dark with the headphones on!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                              Does the book contain any spoilers?
                              had a quick flick through it and it seemed to be broken up into different days, like a diary, so thought it mightve been an account of what happened in bright falls... didnt want to risk it!
                              can anyone shed any light on whether this is spoiler free?

Comment

Working...
                              X