Crackdown 2 Demo (xbox360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crackdown 2 Demo (xbox360)

so got hold of the early demo access before it hits Monday for gold users.

I've only played thru the 30 minute timed demo once and I'm of a mixed opinion at the moment.

Its definitely Crackdown, you get a strong sense of deja vous if you played the first a lot what with the city being the same. First feeling is it doesn't look or feel like its had a 3yr gap from the original, graphically its sub Just Cause 2 and the control still lacks a cover option (something people moaned about for JC2). Climbing is prettty much identical to the original and is something I feel got improved on by Infamous.

I do recall the orginal being a bit daunting to start with and again you start as a low powered agent, collecting a few orbs and killing some stuff starts to power you up quickly.

The lock-on is pretty horrible in the demo and seems to auto selct the person furthest away from you, even if you are getting shot by somebody standing right next to you.

I'm not writing it off as not given it anywhere near enough time, it does feel like a game that could be 18months or so too late though. I'm sure there is quite a bit of good stuff in here and the demo obviously won't lift its skirt to everything the game has to offer.

So its not ruined by any means and I'm sure Crackdown fans will lap it up, just not sure yet if it will swing the unconverted.

I've played through it twice, I'd have to agree with everything you say but I could have quite easily played through it a couple more times. It still has that Crackdown magic that's hard to convay in words and puts the title among my 360 favourites.

The game has had an extra layer of depth added in the campaign which is very welcome. The objectives are still basic and not particularly varied (basically take over strongholds) but it feels like you are doing more than before. Audio logs can be found all over the place which are nice to flesh out the story. The announcer is back and as pitch perfect as ever.

The city is less inviting than before and although Ruffian have done a fairly good job in aging familear locations, the direction of the story means that it comes across as dull and murky. The bright, colourful comic stylings of the original are less pronounced this time, but that isn't to say it has been completely removed.

The freaks are a big part of the experience but not as game changing as I was fearing. The platforming is still very much alive and well, with the freaks and Cell (the gang this time around) not commanding the rooftops as early screens suggested. They are there, but no more dominant than the original...at least what I've seen so far.

At night time when the freaks come out, it reminded me of Dead Rising. The amount of enemies is quite alarming at ground level but they are easy to avoid, especially if you get yourself a vehicle and just drive through. Didn't take long for me to level up driving to level 4, but the demo may have tweaked the levelling process in the same way the original's did. Likewise I was able to level up Strength extremely quickly just by hammering the melee button when in a busy area.

The lockon is definately an issue unfortunately, it's far too easy to target the furthest away enemy and then too difficult to move to the closest. The game will definately not appeal if you didn't enjoy the original as this is basically the same game with a few tweaks, most of which are surrounding the coop which I've yet to try.

I'll give the demo a few more goes, mainly to try and get the surprisingly difficult to achieve Achievements (which only add to your score once you've got the finished game) and probably add it to the growing number of games I'm wanting to get my hands on.

Comment

I got my code, now I gotta just get home from work to play. Really can't wait to check this out. I purchased the first game about a year ago dirt cheap, but never got around to playing it really.

Comment

Yeah...so this is more Crackdown folks.

As much as I enjoyed grabbing orbs and levelling up at the increased demo rate...y'know, I think this demo has harmed it's chances of me buying the full title!

After inFAMOUS, despite this being "fun" it feels in desperate need of some direction...

Oh and yeah, the lock on isn't great.

Comment

Agreed, it just feels very meh now that I've played it. Lock on is very very annoying. There just doesn't seem to be anything new to the original.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the demo myself, its just Crackdown in a new light. Couldn't have asked for more, however the one misgiving i have is the old lockon shooting mechanic, wish they updated that though.

Never did finish the original crackdown, its given me a taste to go back to it and play through it. Can't wait!

Also does anything happen if you keep knocking down Civs? All that happened in the demo for me, The Director kept getting a bit pissy at me. I just couldn't help running them over, theres just so many of them about.

Comment

The peacekeepers will come after you eventually, but they are easy to outrun.

Played through four times now >_< Each time it gets better though, it really is a good sequel from what I've seen. Done the first proper mission (unlocked when you do three specific tasks) and it was intense, decided not to rush for the next set but I assume each of the main missions will be more of less the same. UV Shotgun ftw.

Comment

don't think I'm going to get this, just feels quite 'messy', hundreds of enemy and zombie things running round with controls not up to the job.

I regard Crackdown as one of the finest original games on xbox but this sequel has already been bettered by other titles.

feel a bit sad as wanted to like this but having played the demo a few times its just very unsatisfying is lacking focus & refinment.
                Last edited by merf; 19-06-2010, 16:42.

Comment

Not sure I'm going to play the demo. I've not been in favour of the sequel and it's "same city", and different artistic direction, but recently discussed with friends it being the next game we'll all pick up for co-op.

This thread has me rethinking. Probably wait until it's &#163;25 or less.

Comment

Aaww...

This isn't the stuff that I wanted to read although it is what I was expecting to read after reading about it and watching the videos. I'm trying to resist playing the demo a I'm hoping it's an old one and it'll really improve by launch.

How different does the city feel? It all looks horribly familiar in the videos I've seen.

I've had horrible feelings about this game since I heard that Realtime Worlds weren't involved. I think I would have been happy if they'd just lifted the first game and stuck it in a different city.

I'm refuse to give up on this yet as the original was pretty much perfect for me.

Comment

The demo isn't perfect but then neither was the original games demo. I free his feels rough and the shooting feels a bit odd but try and get the demo achievements, it leads to some old school crackdown fun

Comment

Bah everyone ignoring me

The game feels great it just takes a few goes to readjust.

Comment

why all the negativity. this is crackdown.
                          ok its crackdown 1.5 and the feelings are entirely dependant on whether you liked crackdown or not.
                          i loved the original so this is more of the same and to ME thats a good thing, plus 4 player co op. Was never going to reinvent the genre but it has fun in spades and the announcer is in fine form as well.
                          still have fond memories of orb hunting with my bro in law and a friend and many late nights doing stunt rings and such like, this will be more of that and i can't wait.

Comment

i think it plays and looks rough and just feels like booting up a game from a couple of years ago.

i'm sure some will be able to get past this and get considerable enjoyment out of it, not sure I can though.

I got the hang of a few of the mechanics like reclaiming areas and even cleared out a freak hive area - a task I found totally tedious as I had to spend what seemed like 5 mins endlessly slaughtering waves of freaks in what felt a bit like dead rising.

I know I'm not powered up but initial vehicle control is nasty too.

I'll give it another try but it just doesn't feel quite like Crackdown to me

Comment

I think it puts you in a weird place at the start, it should of taken advantage of why crackdown is fun. Stick you on top of a massive building looking down, not at the start of a mission which feels rough to play. This is probably an earlier build than what we anticipated but o do really enjoy it, it just feels a bit ruff(ian) ha! Defintely buying this, can't wait to piss about online

Comment

Working...
                              X