Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)

After the very below par Galactrix i am pleased to say first impressions of this one are very good.

Puzzle Quest 2 takes the standard gameplay from the first game but makes plenty of changes to make the battles sharper, quicker and less random, as well as adding a few nice things to the way the RPG side works when not in battle.

The game has a much better feeling of flow rather than the manic style of PQ1. Again we are back to the standard bejeweled style gameplay and grid but this time you also have icons on the board to match that power up any weapons you may be carrying which throws a lot more out to tactics as combined with spells these weapons can do some major damage. This means its essential to equip yourself with the right spells and weapons before battle. Also you can choose between 4 different class of player and depending on this had impact on where the character will excel in battle.

Navigation around the big world is helped with arrows, you are free to go where you wish but gold arrows point you in the direction of the main objective.

As well as battles you will have to loot for your treasure and items which again is a match 3 style game, creating chains adds coloured keys to the board depending on how big the chain and match 3 coloured keys to get items. Green keys are common items and the rare gold keys are rare items.

You are also expected to break down doors and scan rooms.

To scan rooms you have to clear a set amount of tiles on the grid within a number of moves, breakling down doors is achieved in much the same way but matching icons that do damage to the lock after a chain.

You will also be expected to pick locks that you can't break through. This is done my making certain matches on certain points of the grid.

Overall the game has a lot more polish to the RPG side of the game, the weapons bring a new level of tactics to the game as i now choose to ignore skulls and look to power my weapons for attacks.

Fans of the first will not be let down by this one, for get the rubbish between this and the first one as this is the true sequal and it shows.

Does the game on the DS acknowledge that you've finished everything when you beat the two forms of the last boss or am I missing something? I've no quests left to do according to the quest log or spell puzzles to complete yet the game has just put me back at the starting village with nothing in the way of telling me I've completed. Actually, the log does have one quest but that's that pay a goblin and open chests one and AFAIK that remains indefinitely.

I know the title screen has credits on it, but they were there from the start.

Comment

Working...
    X