Singularity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singularity

A new FPS from Raven. They've decided to avoid using nazis and space mutants and have gone for a much more original, less cliched villain... Communist Russians!

Basic plot: an abandoned island with a research facility on it studying a mysterious new substance (Macguffinisium!) that is a general catch all wonder substance that can manipulate time, make super powered weapons and turn people into mutants! Arriving on the island you get sent back in time and accidentally change history, causing the whole world to be taken over by the Russians.

Gameplay:

Standard 2 weapon swapping system. However there are weapon lockers scattered around that let you choose between any weapon you've picked up at any point and there are plenty of generic 'every ammo type' pickups to ensure that you can keep the same two weapons for most of the game with no need to ever really switch from your favourites (except for the incredibly fun to use seeker which lets you control the bullets)

You have access to plasmi... sorry the 'TMD' which give you the access to various time control abilities (slow down time, age enemies or scenery, repair scenery, gravity gun clone and so on. As usual you can find hidden objects which give you access to various upgrades for weapons and abilities where, as in most games, you'll utterly fail to notice their effect.

There is a bit of time travel but it's heavily underused, only popping up on a few occasions.

Opinion:

The game lacks any real identity, it copies left right and center from other, better games, there are two completely different plots merged together: high tech commies and people turning into mutants and they just don't fit. At times it feels like Bioshock, at other times HL2 and it even borrows heavily from Halo's flood.

It's also worth noting that the PC version is a shockingly poor conversion. No quicksaving, you can only have a single save (which is done at automatic checkpoints). The only graphical options are resolution, brightness and v-sync. The textures are horribly low resolution, the texture filtering is awful. For some reason the volume is incredibly low, especially for speech which gets drowned out by everything (naturally there are no subtitles). The controls are also designed for a joypad, with it requiring you to map far far too many keys.

It's fun to play but everything this game does has been done better elsewhere. It offers little new.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm suprised by your quite negative comments, this got 8/10 over at eurogamer and has been getting decent amounts of praise around tinternet.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf
      The game lacks any real identity, it copies left right and center from other, better games, there are two completely different plots merged together: high tech commies and people turning into mutants and they just don't fit. At times it feels like Bioshock, at other times HL2 and it even borrows heavily from Halo's flood.
      Thats Raven's Mo for the last 10 years.

From the first 10mins i've played seemed really interesting(especially for a raven title). Will get back to it once Transformers is done and dusted.

Comment

Didn't even know this was out - quite fancied the ideas behind this so please keep the impressions coming.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          I'm suprised by your quite negative comments, this got 8/10 over at eurogamer and has been getting decent amounts of praise around tinternet.
          To me, it's a 6-6.5 game.

It just copies from too many games and draws unfavourable comparissons to all of them.

It doesn't help that the PC version is shockingly lazy I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
            It doesn't help that the PC version is shockingly lazy I suppose.
            What do you mean by lazy, interface and performance wise?

I had problems with the controls when i played it, performance wise its smooth as butter maxed out on my mid range rig.

Comment

Ran like butter on my rig too. That's the problem really.

Max out the resolution and that's pretty much the only way you can improve the graphics. Not usually an issue but the low resolution textures coupled with texture filtering that means you only see 'full' detail when you're right up close is pretty bad. Most half decent graphics cards would have no issue with the textures remaining 'sharp' at a long distance given how low res they are. There should be an option to change the filtering method and to allow full detail at different distances.

The video projector at the start was pretty good for showing how bad the textures are on the PC. It's a blurry mess.

It's not something you expect from an experienced PC FPS developer.

I mentioned the controls which require too many keys (every console button is basically mapped to a key), the lack of subtitles means I missed a lot of dialogue.

Comment

Against Jeff, Ryan, AND Nolan North, you time aliens don't have a chance!

Quick look. I quite like the look of it, but I'm sure it'll drop in price FAST!

Comment

I really, really like it.

The setting is atmospheric (though not as much as Metro 2033) and it has some great little interactions with the time powers.

The guns don't have much punch but the alt fire on some weapons makes them interesting and they are especially cool when you marry them with the time glove. You can age some enemies to death and hitting some mutants with a time power will cause them to slow down as they run at you. Those are basic things but they add to the combat and mean you are doing more than just hosing guys with bullets.

It is a very well made cross over of Half Life 2 and Bioshock.

I can't speak for the multiplayer yet but the single player experience is pretty excellent.

Comment

I really like it too, it is true that most things it does have been done before but it does them all so well.

Theres not much else to say really other than despite the fact that it looks like it came out about the same time as HL2 its just a brilliant FPS and the best one Ive played in ages.

Would deffinitley recomend it.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 30-06-2010, 23:59.

Comment

Ok Ive changed my mind about this, theres a bit in it where its virtualy impossible to progress, youre surrounded by little exploding critters and theres no way to avoid taking huge ammounts of damage from them, after trying it for an hour I just gave up.

What a shame, I was actualy really loving it.

Comment

If you age one of them it becomes huge and takes out the critters around it.

Or you can use the enhanced melee which is pretty effective

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          Ok Ive changed my mind about this, theres a bit in it where its virtualy impossible to progress, youre surrounded by little exploding critters and theres no way to avoid taking huge ammounts of damage from them, after trying it for an hour I just gave up.

What a shame, I was actualy really loving it.
                          or if you have the sphere that you use to freeze time, just fire that out and run past them

Comment

I went back and did it in the end (guess it was a bit premature to act like i was about to give up on the game but it was really frustrating me).

Its probabaly becuase I'm playing on hard and this seems to be yet another game thats been released latley that dosent seem to have been playtested at this difficulty at all, its all over the place as far as difficulty spikes are concered but it had all seemed possible up until that point.

I did it by hiding in a deadlock sphere (which I forgot i even had until i acidently charged one up), and waited untill they all got stuck on the edges then ran out and hid in another one, I repeated this about 8 times until i escaped that section of the game.

Its probably not how the developers expected people to play that bit when they thought up the concept of you being attacked by loads of exploding thingies, but its the only way it seems possible to do it on hard really.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 01-07-2010, 13:05.

Comment

Yeah the exploding flood clones were poorly designed. They're too hard to hit (even with the shockwave melee), too fast and have a habit of spawning behind you from dead ends.

I got annoyed with a couple of the puzzles too. Got stuck for 20 minutes on a box puzzle

where you had to expand a box to lift up a shutter. Just didn't seem obvious you had to do that as it was a place where you had to work to get a box up and it was the first time you used a box in this way.

Other one involved the slow sphere

in the gas section. The collision detection for it was so poor, I actually thought the gap you were meant to fire it from had a window as it kept getting blocked.

Other than those, I found most of the gravity gun type puzzles a bit tiresome.

Comment

Working...
                              X