Persona 3 Portable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persona 3 Portable.

Ok people got this today, big fan of the series so had high hopes.

First off the main difference is the choice of a girl to play instead of the usual main character. I chose the bloke as it feels right to use him. There is also a new manic difficulty but no chance I will be trying that!
    The girl is meant to change the game in subtle ways, the story is always the same but the social links are naturally different.

Played around an hour so far and it is a very good port which takes on its own identity. The first thing you notice is the lack of 3D characters on screen and in fact there are no 3D backgrounds. All of the locations are very nicely drawn 2D images. At first this feels a bit off, for me it lacks the atmosphere of being able to run around and explore, although there wasn't a lot to explore in the original.
    At each location a cursor appears and you can highlight any of the interactive parts of the environment with a button press. The same type of options appear as the original and it has the same outcomes.

The presentation is lovely as expected with all the characters voices still intact. Music is the same as expected and fits in perfectly.

Got to the battles, they look superb and are brilliantly animated. The character models are perfect and ooze charm. The combat system is slightly overhauled, containing elements from P4. You can also control each character which is very welcome.

One outstanding option, certainly for myself if the ability to press a button to advance any line of dialogue. You can turn it off so it flows naturally but for myself when I am get busy at work I can leave the game at any point and it doesn't advance so nothing is missed.

Overall it is a great version. It feels little different, lacks a tiny bit of the cool style but the battle system is nicely improved to make up for it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Played some more today. Made it to Tartarus and it is flowing nicely. It is a little fiddly to control around the block with the d-pad but it works well enough. Really do like the battles, translates to well to the PSP.

Comment

Do you by chance work on a mag, what with being based in Bournemouth and all? I agree though, Persona 3 on the PSP does make me want to play it again, albeit having the time to do so.

Comment

Persona 3 is too fresh in my memory to play P3P. Seems they're not going to port P2 which is supposed to be the best in the series.

Does the game give you full control over your party like in P4? Dying because your healer cast marin karin instead of healing you got old fast.

Comment

I've read that its full control a la Persona 4.

Comment

You can indeed control all members Persona 4 style. It is so much better like that as we know. The whole battle system is more like P4.

Another new feature is the fact your Personas will give you a card at a certainl level containing a spell they know. This allows you to transfer it to any other Persona which is very handy. Makes the game a tiny bit easier mind.

No I don't work on any magazines but Strider is my cousin.

Comment

I'm loving this they have absolutely nailed it as a portable game. It looks superb and has tons of voice acting along with the Persona gameplay we all love.

I also much prefer that they added control of your whole team so no need to worry about dodgy AI.

Comment

I'll be picking this up when i am in the US for Comic-Con next week this this will be a good game to start on the plane home

Comment

I have noticed they have added new teachers, new items and new double attacks in battles.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    You can indeed control all members Persona 4 style. It is so much better like that as we know. The whole battle system is more like P4.

Another new feature is the fact your Personas will give you a card at a certainl level containing a spell they know. This allows you to transfer it to any other Persona which is very handy. Makes the game a tiny bit easier mind.

No I don't work on any magazines but Strider is my cousin.
                    Ah, small world. The links are deep on this forum I see.

Hope Atlus get around to bringing Persona 4 to the PSP. That I will happily play again from end to end in a heartbeat as I prefer it over Persona 3 (still both good games in their own right though).

Comment

Well believe it or not ive never played a Persona game ever and didn't know what to expect, just what i'd read in reviews. The Dark Hour is awesome , in fact the whole game is bloody amazing , from the characters, the spoken dialogue , the graphics and the story and having to do the social links. Love collecting Persona 's and searching Tartarus, im on level 15, so tense and gives you a demon's souls vibe , like should you go on or turn back before you get too tired. This is the game Etrian Odyssey should have been , though i find EO i bit too hardcore. Should i get the 1st Persona on PSP as my import shop has it , where i got Persona 3 portable. This is the best RPG ive played in a long while, buy it.

Comment

Bournemouth, represent!

I'm loving this. The omission of the 3D locations outside Tartarus isn't as big a deal as you might think, and it's very nice having shortcuts to all the local areas. Hopefully Persona 5 will pick up that as an option, because it can get tedious in the PS2 ones when you're running from place to place all the time.

I like it better than the PS2 version, I think. A lot of the niggles with P3/FES that were solved in Persona 4 like the lack of a direct control option and having to memorise what each spell did because there were no definitions in battle have been sorted here, so it's almost the definitive version. Hell, it is the definitive version to play because, like I said, the inability to run around the environments isn't a big deal.

I just prefer RPGs on a handheld, though. This is quite well suited to dipping in and out of because it doesn't take long to run a couple of floors or go through an in-game day, and the fact that I can play this at work, in bed, at someone else's house, etc rather than being tied to the TV makes me more likely to get somewhere with it.

Comment

Well hit 40 hours now and still loving it. There is enough new content to keep you interested if you have completed it before. As Neko said it really is the definitive version of the game.

Having said that I do miss the 3D locations.

Comment

Just started this last night this is my first persona game from what i've played so far it looks very nice

Comment

This is a total time sink. Realised I've just stuck 40 hours on this is the space of 2 weeks or so. I loved P4, never played any version of P3, this has shown me exactly what I've been missing. Fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X