Mafia II [PC/360/PS3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mafia II [PC/360/PS3]

Picked this up today and have managed to put a couple of hours in. Initial impressions? It's good.

The opening is suitably cinematic and the voice work/sound is very impressive. Gameplay is also quite good. I'm not a huge fan of cover shooters, but this works far better than something like GTA4. The city so far is also quite beautiful and should be good to explore. Still, I'm not convinced it's going to take the original game's crown. Just thinking back to the main menu with the theme playing in the original makes me think that there's something lacking in atmosphere from the sequel, or perhaps this will be come in time.

Very highly recommended so far.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Just bought it on Steam, got the original game for free. Shame Valve fixed that little trick to play it early. Oh well, i can wait.

Absolutly love the first game. Very atmospheric.

Comment

Up to chapter 6 now. So far all the missions have been fantastic. I seem to die a fair bit, but I am playing it on hard. Mid-mission checkpoints seem a bit sparse too, but I haven't gotten frustrated yet. I still don't think it's quite as good as the original, but a very good game nonetheless.

Also, fans of the first game, check out the radio station "Empire Classic".

Comment

I started this last night after the extra content had done downloading and so far, despite being the PS3 edition, I really like the visuals of the game (though not come across any grass yet )

Once again I'll be alone in this but I'd say that in many ways it's better looking than GTA4. I can't speak for the PC versions but that game was very samey and muddy looking whereas this is nothing amazing but much cleaner and solid. I'm only on Chapter 4 on Hard now but it doesn't come across as cheating or unfair. I did love the original and this one has a lot to like too, it's not the best example of the genre but it's definately recieving to heavy a battering in some of the reviews. A nice pick me up after K&L2 last week.

Must... find.... Playboys...

Comment

Could someone confirm that the ps3 & 360 limited edition versions don't contain the same contents. I've noticed the the ps3 version includes an extra set of dlc (something jimmy or other) that says is exclusive to ps3.

Comment

Yup, 360 differs with a soundtrack & art book. PS3 has an extra costume pack and single player expansion pack with 25 missions

Comment

The Collector's Edition is the same on both formats.

The Betrayal of Jimmy is the first of two downloadable episodes with the second part of the story being Jimmy's Vendeta, they've not really announced any details about that yet. The Betrayal of Jimmy is included with both versions on the PS3 game as a DLC code so if you buy the game used you probably won't get the code but it's still available to buy for the first part of the story for ?6:29.
              Originally posted by 2K Games
              The Betrayal of Jimmy is almost an arcade-style take on the Mafia II experience. The team took the most fun elements from the game: shooting, driving, stealing, etc in a open world, and made it a point-based romp, complete with leaderboards. It?s all about fast cars, blowing stuff up, hitting top speeds, and really taking advantage of the open city. If Mafia II is an expansive story, then The Betrayal of Jimmy is instant gratification.

Unlike in the main Mafia II storyline, you?ll rack up points for drifting, high speed driving, headshots, kill combos and more. Points pop up right on the screen, arcade style and giant, flashy icons like arrows point at targets ? something you?d never see in the more authentically 1940s and 50s setting from the primary game mode.

While you can download The Betrayal of Jimmy on August 24th, the day Mafia II hits shelves, you?ll definitely wanna play through the main storyline first. There?s not a lot of exposition in this content pack; you?re immediately dropped into a gunfight where you?re outgunned and outflanked. Unlike Vito?s slow introduction to the world of organized crime in the main game, Jimmy?s already ?leveled up? and spawns initially with multiple weapons. The whole city is open to you right at the start.

The Betrayal of Jimmy is not included on the disc ? new copies of the game will contain a voucher to download it. If you pick the game up used, you?ll be able to purchase the DLC for $9.99.

The Jimmy?s Vendetta DLC will become available post-launch. No word on price.

With over 25 different missions, The Betrayal of Jimmy promises a meaty additional gameplay experience, and a nice bonus for PlayStation 3 owners looking to pick up Mafia II later this month.
              I'm really enjoying the main game but I've not touched DLC sorry so can't comment on what's that like or whether I'll be buying part 2 of the story.

Comment

This is a really good game, its a good based cover shooter and a good third person action game in general.

Shame it has to spoil it all by pretending to be some kind of open world game. This is much how I felt about the original too actualy, it was one of the best games I have ever played yet ruined itself by trying to be some kind of GTA clone when it wasnt.

Comment

That's just the set, man. Imagine if it was just a load of closed-off streets and corridors guiding you through the story levels. Invisible walls everwhere, or burnt out cars stacked high blocking your route beyond the story.

The first game's open-ness (leading to the misplaced 'emptiness' criticism) is vital to establish a sense of time and place. This does not and should not (thankfully) detract from the primacy of the story by filling it full of needlessly trivial things to do.

Comment

So...this isn't an open world game?

In that sense, it's story driven...is it very long does anyone know?

Comment

It's got a few basic collect me dos and shops but that's about it. The open world does best to create the context and provide plenty of space for car chases to avoid the rozzers. The illusion is open world but it's not supposed to be a GTA clone, it's story driven. Story length is meant to be 10-15 hours I think, it's 15 'chapters' long.

Comment

Collectathons? I'm out. Utterly sick of that mechanic.

Unless it's just minor?

Comment

Just old issues of Playboy, should you wish, and some cars, also should you wish. Very minor.

Comment

Playboy you say?

Back in again.

Comment

40s and 50s centrefolds, lol. They're in the demo too, 10 of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X