No announcement yet.

Metroid: Other M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having such a love-hate relationship with this game. When it's good, it's fantastic. When it's bad, it's just plain awful and frustrating. It feels far closer to the original formula then the Prime series did though.

It's starting to suffer like Zelda though where the series doesn't connect well anymore. Especially with it's Fusion counterpart.

Secret Metroid research breeding project, which in Fusion Samus is equally surprised by.

There are some great moments that make you question the game, such as

Getting about half way through Sector 2 before thinking to use the Varia Suit, and why does the Plasma beam freeze things?

There are some great moments that are just plain awesome however.

Fighting the Nightmare Boss from Fusion, and the Queen Metroid from Return of Samus. The fear when Ridley appears is great to, except this battle has been played about 3-4 times now? Not sure why she'd be so scared.

Comment

Surprised how quickly the end hits you, it's like the devs got 90% of the way through the game and just gave up on it, by shoving some movies in there. It doesn't take more then about 60 minutes to run around and grab the items too, which is usually my favourite part. None of the locations seemed memorable and before the ending can't remember visiting somewhere more than twice.

The story with

The Deleter

was a bit half arsed too, choosing to skip

Tourian/Sector Zero

seemed a bit lazy, not to mention pointless since

there were Metroids outside the sector anyway.

It was alright, but I still rate Fusion above it.

Comment

Picked this up today and what a disappointment, its not a badly made game or rubbish, its just not very much fun to play , bored me to tears with all the CGI FMV and stop start gameplay, controls are poor too.

Comment

Just dredging this to condemn Team Ninja for the lack of 4:3 support. Because my monitor is 16:10 I have to play in 4:3 for correct proportions. However, the last two games I bought – Other M and Darkside Chronicles – only support 16:9, 4:3 image presented with hefty black borders. So, on my screen, I get 5 inch borders all the way round!

Gah!

Comment

Why would you want to play athe games in 4:3, despite the fact that I dont think any games are designed to play in 4:3 anymore, dosent playing them on a 16:10 screen just mean you get tiny borders at the top and bottom?.

I dont actualy play consoles on a monitor, but thats what happens with things on my PC anyway.

Comment

Well, you can scale it three ways on my monitor.
              • 1:1 which means it's minute (480x720 marooned inside a sea of 1920x1200);
              • Scale proportionally, which, thanks to being SD means it scales in 4:3 format, or...
              • Fill screen, which makes everything too tall (16:9 stretched to 16:10).
              Yet more expensive monitors *might* have a mode for such things...

Comment

You can't adjust the H-size/V-size on your monitor to force the proportions?

Comment

Not as far as I know. The only options are for scaling; can't find anything like that in the menus, which is a shame. It was lucky I even got one with 1:1 pixel mapping, as it slipped my mind when buying the monitor last summer!

EDIT: It's an HP LP2475w.
                  Last edited by egparadigm; 18-01-2011, 09:00.

Comment

Finally got around to starting this and I can tell it's a simpler beast than previous Metroids but I'm really liking it. The CG scene's aren't really bothering me as Samus was 100% void of character beyond what people had made up in their heads and I'm finding it doesn't an adequate job of explaining stuff. Many of the reviews on reflection seem plain dumb. Sure she doesn't use missiles etc unless ordered to but it's pretty clear why not and fits more with the image of the character than 'but, but, but she should be a arsenal badass!!'

Looks great too and they've managed to work the controls well for the most part given it's played out NES style. The only issue I've had is sometimes charging energy or missiles during busy fights. So far, I'm nice impressed. It's at least better than Prime 2... yeah, I said it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                      Finally got around to starting this and I can tell it's a simpler beast than previous Metroids but I'm really liking it. The CG scene's aren't really bothering me as Samus was 100% void of character beyond what people had made up in their heads and I'm finding it doesn't an adequate job of explaining stuff. Many of the reviews on reflection seem plain dumb. Sure she doesn't use missiles etc unless ordered to but it's pretty clear why not and fits more with the image of the character than 'but, but, but she should be a arsenal badass!!'

Looks great too and they've managed to work the controls well for the most part given it's played out NES style. The only issue I've had is sometimes charging energy or missiles during busy fights. So far, I'm nice impressed. It's at least better than Prime 2... yeah, I said it.
                      I had no problems with the cut scenes, I had a problem with the fact that it is very boring to play though, it starts out rubbish and seems to get less interesting as it goes on. Its a 3d game that forces 2d style gameplay, only theres even less depth than in the 2d Metroid games. The combat is dull (theres no skill involved due to all the auto targeting and the auto dodge move is pathetic) and the level design feels at odds with itself, is it a proper metroid game? is it an action game?... actualy no I think its just an unimaginative mess.

Its one of thopse games that seems to be worse the more you think about it. I actually rated this an 8, but i think I must have been drunk when I did it and pushed the wrong button, think I probabaly thought it said minus 8.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 17-03-2011, 11:59.

Comment

Level design wise I'd say this is definately an action game and the level design isn't very in depth but then I prefer that to many of the metroids of old where the backtracking could be off putting. Personally I think it plays very well, especially at how the 3D sections still work well despite being dependent upon a 4 way Dpad. In a sense it's unimaginative as it's based heavily on the ideas and details of the previous Metroid games but then you'd be hard pressed to find an imaginitive alternative either.

Comment

I suppose thats my bigget gripe with it really. Besides the
                          cut scenes It doesnt do anything different to other metroid games (despite what a couple of reviews said upon release), and it also dosent do those things as well as previous games in the series.

Its limited by its own design, the fact that combat more or less plays itself is a very disapointing aspect of it, especialy comming from this developer and when you take away the more open ended nature of the level design from previous games the bland looking coridoors become very uniteresting to trek through.

It just felt like a rather empty experience overall.

Comment

I gave up after 20mins. What a dissapointing PoS. Seriously devoid of any merits whatsoever. If the new Team Ninja is behind this I don't have much hopes for Ninja Gaiden 3!

Comment

Re-reading my past comments, I probably gave It more credit that It deserved. 6 months on and I can't actually remember any redeeming quality about it, I could list at least 10 moments for every other title. It didn't help that Prime left some pretty big boots to fill.

Comment

This is 5 quid preowned in Gamestation. 5 quid.

Which reinforced my expectations of it being tod, so I'm quite surprised that I've enjoyed the first 2 hours so much.

The first boss design was awful, the atmosphere is distinctly un-Metroidular, and yeah, the cinematics are handled badly. But it plays rather sweetly and hits a nice pace fairly quickly. The frequent switches to first person soon became instinctive and help ramp up the tension in boss fights. The combat is jazzed up to a nice degree without feeling too Gaiden like, and the charge and jump attacks are really satisfying. Samus' movement is lovely and feels just like the 2D games too. It reminds me of Metroid Fusion in terms of how you can quickly spot secrets and the backtracking is minimal, but it suits the focus on action nicely.

Far from being my favourite Metroid then, but I still really like it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X