Kurohyou: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinshou (PSP) *Demo/Full Version*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurohyou: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinshou (PSP) *Demo/Full Version*

Anyone else been playing through the Demo, played it for the last week or so and Sega have done a really good job of squeezing the PS2 Yakuza style game onto an handheld.

The game starts off with a few cutscenes, this time your a young man called Tatsuya who breaks into a Chinese loan sharks office to steal some cash, once inside your confronted by Toda Naoki who's associated with Tojo clan of the Yakuza, a fight breaks out and Tatsuya ends up killing him. Toda was the righthand man of a guy called Ryutaro Kuki and when he catches Tasuya rather than killing him he sees his potential as a fighter so makes him fight in an underground league called Dragon Heat.

Graphically it's excellent, character detail on the various enemies you fight is a big step up from the PS2 games it also has some great animated cutscenes similar to MGS:PW, think they are actually done by the same company as well, only small let down is that Kamurocho is now prerendered similar to the old RE games, probably due to the PSP's limitations, still it works quite well. The music in the demo is also excellent during the fights, sort of a cross between rock and techno.

The demo gives you a small area of Kamurocho to explore along with a tutorial, the main mission of the demo just involves you getting to the hostess bar JeweL which ends in a small boss fight involving a wave of enemies to fight through. Theres also one of two small quests you can run into along the way.

Most of the stores are accessible but you can't do much in them other than buy health items, places like Club Sega just allow you to go in and view a video of the various mini games and features that will be in the full game, looks quite varied though, theres the usual baseball, UFO catchers, Karaoke along with one that looks like your serving fast food.

The fight engine in this one does differ slightly from previous games, the demo gives you 3 fighting styles which can be levelled up, you have Kenka (brawling), Boxing & Pro Wrestling, before each random fight you get a menu where you can switch between styles. Each style has a positive and negative outcome as well, boxing will increase you punching power by 20% but reduce kicking power by 20%.

You can still run around like in previous games while fighting but when your punching an enemy the camera zooms in, it feels a lot more like VF or Tekken because of this, they've also added a cool counter move as well, if you time pressing the L button and the D-Pad at correct moment you can grab a kick or punch.

Heat moves are still here although I can't work out if you can do them with objects in your hand, so far it only looks like you can do them while grabbing, not sure if this will change in the full game once levelled up. Theres also no visible energy bar either, you can only see it if you pause, the screen does start going red when your low though.

Controls are good despite less buttons, probably works better than most games seeing as the PS2 games never really used the second analogue, one really odd choice though is that you now have to hold L1 & O to pick things up, you soon get used to it though.

One cool feature of the fights now is that when they end your also given an option of either taking more EXP or Money.

Overall it's looking like they've pulled off Yakuza on the PSP quite well, just looking at the videos in the game theres a ton of content as well as multiplayer, you also get a code at the end of the demo to unlock extra items in the full game, really looking forward to picking this one up on the 22nd of this month.
    Last edited by Phar; 12-10-2010, 23:12.

Great 1st impressions. Ta.

Comment

Is it on the JPN store? I can't find this or Sengoku Basara 3.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        Great 1st impressions. Ta.
        Cheers

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        Is it on the JPN store? I can't find this or Sengoku Basara 3.
        Don't think it is, it's a Japanese website called 4Gamer that have it, must be some kind of exclusive deal with Sega.

It's the button just above the 192 MB comment to download it
         セガから2010年9月22日に発売予定のPSP用ソフト「クロヒョウ 龍が如く新章」のPSP用体験版を,4Gamerにアップした。今回の体験版では,地下格闘場「ドラゴンヒート」で闘いの舞台に上がった龍也が,神室町に出かけるという,物語の中のワンシーンをプレイできる。体験版を最後までプレイすると,製品版で入力できるパスワードが表示される。

Comment

Lovely, lovely. This is flying down my pipe (oo-er) so I can give it a play before I head off to beddybyes.

Been looking forward to some fresh Yakuza action since finishing 3 but can't afford to buy 4 / want to be able to fully understand it when I can.

Comment

Didn't play this last night (fell asleep). Fired it up just now and it's amazing!!

Why is it, all of a sudden, the PSP is getting all these fantastic games?!

It looks incredible, plays like it's big console brothers and is really fun.

I think my knowledge of Japanese is just enough to get by. All the "main" instructions are in katakana so I can make out stuff like "attack", "step" and "dash" which made the tutorial doable. The main missions are the standard Yakuza "go here, hit that" and all of the locations are highlighted on the map.

The downside is going to be that, unless it gets a translation, the story is going to be totally non-understandable.

Apart from that, quality, quality stuff!!!

Comment

I've played the first hour of the game and documented it so that others might feel interested. The pictures above are just a minute fraction as I've posted dozens on my blog. You can read all about it here in another one of my PSP game walkthroughs.

So far the game is everything that could be expected from a PSP title, extremely familiar to those who have followed the series (street exploration, side quests, minigames, etc) so far but also filled with new features (entirely new combat system, new characters and storyline, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Dieubussy View Post
                that others might feel interested. The pictures above are just a minute fraction as I've posted dozens on my blog.
                I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have finished the game? I'm really loving this (GOTY material for me) but am completely stuck at the minute on chapter 6.

Comment

Only up to Chapter 3 atm so sorry I can't be much help, as you said though definite GOTY material. I've spent more time just leveling up and learning new moves and fighting styles more than the main story at present, I like the option they've added to get people you've fought to join you as well, just a shame it has no infrastructure mode as leveling up your fighters and taking them online would have been fun.

One thing I have noticed in regards to this game compared to the console versions is how Kazuma, Majima etc despite what they do are all likeable characters, but everyone in this including the main character Tatsuya are all arseholes, not sure if thats intentional or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Phar View Post
                    Only up to Chapter 3 atm so sorry I can't be much help, as you said though definite GOTY material.
                    No probs. When you do get to chapter 6, if you remember how to get through it would you mind posting here again or dropping me a PM?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      No probs. When you do get to chapter 6, if you remember how to get through it would you mind posting here again or dropping me a PM?
                      Will do mate, i'm only just upto the point where you unlock the part-time jobs for the first time so i'm a while away yet. The P/T job as security at the pole dancing club had me laughing, a rhythm action game based on slapping customers about if they won't sit down.

Comment

Not sure if this gives any hints, but here is a screen of the text that appears whenever I leave Tatsuya standing. Can anyone translate please?

Comment

It's a bit blurry to make out but I can see the mention of a location being the cabaret club.

Comment

Originally posted by Phar View Post
                            It's a bit blurry to make out but I can see the mention of a location being the cabaret club.
                            Yeah sorry about the quality. Cheers though, the guides I've been reading have suggested I should go to Pink Street where all the hostess stuff is so I'll try it again

Comment

Yeah no worries, I think I can make out a reference to a lazy messenger as well on the bottom line, it's hard to read the Kanji though to try and make any sense of it along with my poor Japanese skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X